The long haul

jriveracal

Anyone else need a thread to post on and cry as they wait for decisions?

How do you feel about your cycle? Where did you apply? 

I've turned in 5 apps and have 10 more. Yes, I am applying to 15 schools. Overall feeling nervous AF that I am going to be rejected from every single one.

Anyone else?

Can't give you more advice than to reassure you that you won't hear anything until late January at the earliest. I'm sure you'll do fine! A lot of people apply to 15 and something ends up working out. 

You will be nervous, anxious, and stressed from approx jan-april. You will likely be on some wait lists you're desperate to get off of, and that'll extend the pain. But overall, something will work. Something will come through, even if its not an acceptance. You'll be fine. 

This is a good place to empathize with others, as the normal public doesn't really get it. However, a lot of people find constantly checking the forums is worse for their mental health. You do you. 

When I was waiting for results, this forum was anxiety-producing. Time away from my phone and computer was the healthiest thing I could do. Once the applications are submitted, it is out of your control. I'm realizing now that there are similar experiences throughout graduate school: waiting for news on competitive fellowships, teaching assignments, reviews of journal articles, and then applying for jobs! ? So, do your best to take some deep breaths and step away from the anxiety if at all possible. 

Good luck!

Hey there! I'm a fellow applicant for Fall 2019 programs. I only applied to 3 schools, so I'm definitely feeling the pressure as well. I had underestimated just how intense PhD applications would be, so unfortunately I got pretty down to the wire with my applications (submitted them the day before deadline). I work FT, so it's been tough to dedicate the time I need to do thorough applications - not to mention also try to set up meetings/phone calls with faculty. I really am ready for this next chapter...and I don't really have a Plan B if I get rejected to all 3 of them. It's out of our hands now, though, so I think trying to keep busy and just relax is the best strategy to get through the waiting game. Sending you positive vibes! :)

On 12/7/2018 at 4:00 PM, NYCStudent said:

Hey there! I'm a fellow applicant for Fall 2019 programs. I only applied to 3 schools, so I'm definitely feeling the pressure as well. I had underestimated just how intense PhD applications would be, so unfortunately I got pretty down to the wire with my applications (submitted them the day before deadline). I work FT, so it's been tough to dedicate the time I need to do thorough applications - not to mention also try to set up meetings/phone calls with faculty. I really am ready for this next chapter...and I don't really have a Plan B if I get rejected to all 3 of them. It's out of our hands now, though, so I think trying to keep busy and just relax is the best strategy to get through the waiting game. Sending you positive vibes! :)

Wow, that's a great idea to reach out to try to set up meetings with faculty. I reached out to a couple professors that I was really interested in working with and asked if they would be accepting graduate students, but didn't try to set up time to actually talk to them. I'm sure that will give you a leg up in the admissions process. I have absolutely no plan B right now either. I literally need to get in. Not just for me but for my two kids, to give them a sense of stability again.

13 hours ago, kl1992 said:

Hey! Fellow applicant here. I applied to 10 programs (one overseas MA included). Just trying to stay confident about the quality of my application. Wishing you the best of luck! 

Very cool. One of my applications is an overseas MPhil. It's a stretch for me, but we will see how things turn out. Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

I applied for several programs, and I am a current international student in the US. I am super worried about my applications to 2 different departments. Even though I have a good balance of programs, I feel extremely anxious and I am getting psychologic support for it from my university's health department. I am very afraid of the results because I applied for the 2016 - 2017 cycle, as well and got rejected from 20+ programs for the Ph.D. That created a tremendous amount of insecurity for me.