LGBT Friendly Programs/Cities?

socneuro

Hello! 

So, I'm a part of the lgbt community and I've lived in a big and fairly liberal city all my life and now that I'm moving, I'm really nervous as to what it'll be like. I'm applying to UCLA, Dartmouth, University of Pittsburgh, UNC at Chapel Hill, Stanford, and Columbia and was just wondering if anyone knew if the programs/cities were fairly accepting? I'm not really worried about NY or LA since they're big cities and liberal, but I know Hanover is a fairly small town and not sure how liberal/conservative they are. I also have no idea about Chapel Hill or Pittsburgh either. If y'all live near there, visited, or have heard anything, please let me know!

Feel free to ask about other cities/programs as well and hello to any other lgbt people on this site! 

11 minutes ago, socneuro said:

I also have no idea about Chapel Hill or Pittsburgh either. If y'all live near there, visited, or have heard anything, please let me know!

I went to school at North Carolina State University, which is located in Raleigh, NC. Raleigh is a very LGBT+ friendly city and so is NC State, and it is only thirty or forty minutes away from Chapel Hill. I wish I knew more about Chapel Hill, but I only went there once while I was in school.

3 hours ago, socneuro said:

Hello! 

So, I'm a part of the lgbt community and I've lived in a big and fairly liberal city all my life and now that I'm moving, I'm really nervous as to what it'll be like. I'm applying to UCLA, Dartmouth, University of Pittsburgh, UNC at Chapel Hill, Stanford, and Columbia and was just wondering if anyone knew if the programs/cities were fairly accepting? I'm not really worried about NY or LA since they're big cities and liberal, but I know Hanover is a fairly small town and not sure how liberal/conservative they are. I also have no idea about Chapel Hill or Pittsburgh either. If y'all live near there, visited, or have heard anything, please let me know!

Feel free to ask about other cities/programs as well and hello to any other lgbt people on this site! 

I don't know about LGBT issues in particular but I do know that three professors at Dartmouth just got put on leave because of sexual harrassment and rape allegations. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/us/dartmouth-title-ix-lawsuit/index.html

9 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

I don't know about LGBT issues in particular but I do know that three professors at Dartmouth just got put on leave because of sexual harrassment and rape allegations. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/us/dartmouth-title-ix-lawsuit/index.html

I heard about that! I’m a little worried that culture is still lingering even with them gone. I mean 3 of them?? There’s just no way 3 of them get away with it for so long without a whole culture and system there supporting it. I figured I’d still apply and then at interviews see if anything seems off I guess.

Note: even universities in very conservative areas often have a thriving LGBT+ community. I'm currently working in one of the most conservative college towns in the country, and I've gotten nothing but acceptance from the university community itself. My department has neutral bathrooms and regular allyship workshops. I'm openly gay and semi-openly transgender and have always been treated with absolute respect by my department. We have faculty actively publishing on gay and bi issues. I'm an active member of several LGBT+ groups on campus. Even in less-tolerant places, universities (particularly psych and neuro departments) tend to be pretty lavender.

Outside the university itself...things can be more mixed. I've definitely heard some bigoted jokes (especially because I pass as straight and cisgender) and the social scene is pretty peculiar. That said, there are accepting social groups, religious communities, and bars--it may take more work to find them, but they exist in almost every city large enough to have a university, and they'll definitely exist in those major cities.

Additional caveat: this may depend on where you fall under the LGBT umbrella. I imagine it would be harder for a visibly trans person than for a cisgender gay person in most areas.

That said, I've heard UNC Chapel Hill in particular is very queer-friendly.

Chapel Hill is alright in LGBTQ+ matters. Especially as a grad student, you will be fine here. The science departments are great and have a ton of queer ppl here and there. 

But also theres not so much of like queer scenes here...entertainment wise it is pretty limited. Def cannot compare with places like SanFran, LA, Boston etc. 

It depends on what you are expecting I guess. It is a cute little college town and you will get comfortable here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 6:55 PM, ResilientDreams said:

That's true but I still wonder whether it's part of a larger culture...

On 12/7/2018 at 10:08 AM, socneuro said:

I heard about that! I’m a little worried that culture is still lingering even with them gone. I mean 3 of them?? There’s just no way 3 of them get away with it for so long without a whole culture and system there supporting it. I figured I’d still apply and then at interviews see if anything seems off I guess.

Just went down a rabbit hole following all the articles about this case. Very disturbing, the allegations went all the way back to 2002.

"The plaintiffs claim Dartmouth knew about the professors' behavior for more than 16 years and did nothing. Then in 2017, at least 27 people came forward in connection with formal claims of alleged sexual assault and sexual harassment by the three men... During the Title IX investigation, Dartmouth failed to provide the plaintiffs with support, accommodations or guidance, then "unilaterally terminated" the disciplinary process, letting Heatherton retire and Kelley and Whalen resign, without seeking their input, the lawsuit claims." CNN

"After [the plaintiff] was sexually assaulted, she sought professional counseling services at Dartmouth's health center and shared intimate thoughts about the assault, the lawsuit said. During the Title IX inquiry, Chauhan provided her records to the school's investigator. According to the lawsuit, she was appalled to learn later from the Title IX report that the investigator showed her counseling records to Whalen and his attorneys without her consent"

This is just what the plaintiffs allege, but from what it sounds like there was most definitely a culture enabling this behavior. 

Edited by dougie

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 9:54 PM, socneuro said:

Hello! 

Over five years living in Pittsburgh and being part of the university, people are very accepting here. The city itself is very socially liberal and the program is definitely lgbtq friendly, as there are organizations/clubs specifically supporting the lgbtq community at the university.

Let me know if you have any specific Qs.

Edited by psychisfun