LSU MSW ONLINE 2019

SacMac

• 1 month later...

I’m seriously considering throwing my hat in the ring! My only concern is that an online program might be looked at differently by employers. Obviously they wouldn’t be able to tell from the degree itself but it seems like the kind of thing that would probably come up in casual conversation. Does anyone have any insight on this?

• 1 month later...

I can see where you’re coming from with this, but I believe online programs have grown so much in popularity in every field that’s its pretty normal to recieve a graduate degree in any field online. For the MSW, even more so if you already have a BSW. Plus, we still have to do our field placements in-person so it’s really all in the same, just a different content delivery method. Fun Fact: I’ve read through the general MSW thread and see how active you are on here, so I sort of feel like I know you (in a non creepy way) lol. Have you made any decisions as far as where you’ll be attending? I got an email from LSU saying the school of social work has recommended me for admission so I’m just waiting on my official acceptance from the grad school!

On 1/23/2019 at 9:32 AM, doctormelody said:

I’m seriously considering throwing my hat in the ring! My only concern is that an online program might be looked at differently by employers. Obviously they wouldn’t be able to tell from the degree itself but it seems like the kind of thing that would probably come up in casual conversation. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I can see where you’re coming from with this, but I believe online programs have grown so much in popularity in every field that’s its pretty normal to recieve a graduate degree in any field online. For the MSW, even more so if you already have a BSW. Plus, we still have to do our field placements in-person so it’s really all in the same, just a different content delivery method. Fun Fact: I’ve read through the general MSW thread and see how active you are on here, so I sort of feel like I know you (in a non creepy way) lol. Have you made any decisions as far as where you’ll be attending? I got an email from LSU saying the school of social work has recommended me for admission so I’m just waiting on my official acceptance from the grad school!

3 hours ago, BB2014 said:

Not creepy at all, I feel the same way about many people on here! Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, although I don't have a BSW so that is a potential sticking point as I do think I would learn the necessary content more easily in person.

I haven't decided, no - I actually haven't even applied anywhere other than Pitt yet. I really need to make a decision in the next like week or so as to whether I'm going to. I think I may end up deferring for a year and applying to online programs in the meantime. I actually can't apply to LSU yet because I don't have the required statistics course, which sucks, but if I end up deferring I'll have plenty of time to complete that, apply, and then make my decision, so that's what I'm leaning towards, tbh.

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

Not creepy at all, I feel the same way about many people on here! Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, although I don't have a BSW so that is a potential sticking point as I do think I would learn the necessary content more easily in person.

I haven't decided, no - I actually haven't even applied anywhere other than Pitt yet. I really need to make a decision in the next like week or so as to whether I'm going to. I think I may end up deferring for a year and applying to online programs in the meantime. I actually can't apply to LSU yet because I don't have the required statistics course, which sucks, but if I end up deferring I'll have plenty of time to complete that, apply, and then make my decision, so that's what I'm leaning towards, tbh.

I’m applying to other schools if I don’t get accepted to the other schools I applied to. Is LSU online synchronise?

11 minutes ago, Tomlinson87 said:

I’m applying to other schools if I don’t get accepted to the other schools I applied to. Is LSU online synchronise?

It's asynchronous. More info can be found here:

https://www.lsu.edu/chse/socialwork/academics/msw-online.php

Ah yeah it's tough when our initial choices don't work out. Remind me what schools you've applied to again? I know BU and Michigan, but any others?

24 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

It's asynchronous. More info can be found here:

https://www.lsu.edu/chse/socialwork/academics/msw-online.php

Ah yeah it's tough when our initial choices don't work out. Remind me what schools you've applied to again? I know BU and Michigan, but any others?

BU gave me a fast rejection. I just had my interview yesterday with Michigan, I should find out next week. Waiting on Boston College and University of Southern California online. Simmons lost a transcript, even though it was signed for and I have the receipt in email. I think the only thing going for me is that they don’t have to give me a scholarship due to the VA paying for it. I’m a nervous wreck, I need to get in somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Tomlinson87 said:

BU gave me a fast rejection. I just had my interview yesterday with Michigan, I should find out next week. Waiting on Boston College and University of Southern California online. Simmons lost a transcript, even though it was signed for and I have the receipt in email. I think the only thing going for me is that they don’t have to give me a scholarship due to the VA paying for it. I’m a nervous wreck, I need to get in somewhere.

Gotcha! Ugh that sucks about Simmons (I had a bad experience with them too last year). I'm sure that isn't the only thing going for you! Do you live in the Boston area? (If you don't feel comfortable answering that no worries, just curious since you applied to all the schools there. Then again, I did that too last year when I lived in Virginia.) But yeah, I would definitely consider applying to some of the cheaper online MSW options if you'd rather not move! I got a good vibe from LSU, WVU, and UCF personally when I was looking into it.

Edit: I'm a moron, I missed the part where you said the VA was going to be paying for it. I think USC is a great option if cost is not a factor! I probably would have applied there,  but the tuition is astronomical. I'd still check out the programs I mentioned above if you're interested in getting your MSW online, though!

Edited by doctormelody

12 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Gotcha! Ugh that sucks about Simmons (I had a bad experience with them too last year). I'm sure that isn't the only thing going for you! Do you live in the Boston area? (If you don't feel comfortable answering that no worries, just curious since you applied to all the schools there. Then again, I did that too last year when I lived in Virginia.) But yeah, I would definitely consider applying to some of the cheaper online MSW options if you'd rather not move! I got a good vibe from LSU, WVU, and UCF personally when I was looking into it.

Edit: I'm a moron, I missed the part where you said the VA was going to be paying for it. I think USC is a great option if cost is not a factor! I probably would have applied there,  but the tuition is astronomical. I'd still check out the programs I mentioned above if you're interested in getting your MSW online, though!

All good, I actually live in Florida. I grew up in Massachusetts though. UCF is a good school, I just don’t want to be in FL that much. 

2 minutes ago, Tomlinson87 said:

All good, I actually live in Florida. I grew up in Massachusetts though. UCF is a good school, I just don’t want to be in FL that much. 

Gotcha. Well, remember, if it doesn't work out this time, you can always try again! I do feel like you will probably get in somewhere, though. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I meant the online program for UCF - didn't realize you lived there!

Edited by doctormelody

16 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Gotcha. Well, remember, if it doesn't work out this time, you can always try again! I do feel like you will probably get in somewhere, though. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I meant the online program for UCF - didn't realize you lived there!

I’ve been to four different colleges. I’d say about 45 credits don’t have a grade because it came from the community college of the Air Force. I’ve clep’d 3 classes to finish my associates in criminal justice, so that doesn’t have a grade.

I took two classes in South Korea through UMUC and got an A and a B. I took about 5 or 6 classes through Ashford. My last class was an F, I was on the deep end with depression with my ptsd, all my other classes there were A’s. I explained it in all my statements. I started class with Keiser University, majority on campus but some online. I have all A’s. It’s a non-traditional school, so I’m able to take 21 credit hours a semester. It’s a lot of work, but I had to do it to finish before the fall semester starts. I don’t work since I draw income from VA disability and housing allowance, which is how I can handle the course load. My degree will be a BA in psychology.

I was in the Air Force as a cop from July ‘06 until July ‘14. I was an emergency medical dispatcher in Tampa for a year and a half, then worked law enforcement in St Petersburg for 8 months before my back gave out during an arrest. That was August 2017. I had a job from Sep until Dec for something unrelated to social service. Been unemployed since.

Most of my volunteer work was done while in the military.

Edited by Tomlinson87

1 minute ago, Tomlinson87 said:

I’ve been to four different colleges. I’d say about 45 credits don’t have a grade because it came from the community college of the Air Force. I’ve clep’d 3 classes to finish my associates in criminal justice, so that doesn’t have a grade.

I took two classes in South Korea through UMUC and got an A and a B. I took about 5 or 6 classes through Ashford. My last class was an F, I was on the deep end with depression with my ptsd, all my other classes there were A’s. I explained it in all my statements. I started class with Keiser University, majority on campus but some online. I have all A’s. It’s a non-traditional school, so I’m able to take 21 credit hours a semester. It’s a lot of work, but I had to do it to finish before the fall semester starts. I don’t work since I draw income from VA disability and housing allowance, which is how I can handle the course load. My degree with be a BA in psychology.

I was in the Air Force as a cop from July ‘06 until July ‘14. I was an emergency medical dispatcher in Tampa for a year and a half, then worked law enforcement in St Petersburg for 8 months before my back gave out during an arrest. That was August 2017. I had a job from Sep until Dec for something unrelated to social service. Been unemployed since.

Most of my volunteer work was done while in the military.

I understand. Honestly, I think you have a great background! One bad grade shouldn't make too much of a difference, especially since you explained it. You want to work with veterans, right? Also, thank you for your service.

2 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I understand. Honestly, I think you have a great background! One bad grade shouldn't make too much of a difference, especially since you explained it. You want to work with veterans, right? Also, thank you for your service.

I do, it’s a marginalized population that is underrepresented. Thank you for your support! ?