Age?

Writer M

HI, I'm wondering how old everyone applying to MFA programs is. I'm in my thirties and definitely feeling like I should have applied in my twenties. If I knew then what I know now. :P Thanks...

I'm twenty-two, but I have friends in my college's MFA in Creative Writing program who are in their thirties and forties. I'm sure wherever you go, you won't be the only one in your thirties! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I'm a smidge older than all of you, which makes this concept of applying rather daunting (especially with that "but will they hire me after I graduate" question hanging over my head), but I do know of several graduate students ranging in ages from 30s to "retired from a very long career" (60s), so... you will get all kinds.

The reason a good majority of grad students are in their 20s is because they go straight from the undergrad to grad without stopping. Which is fine, but... a little life experience, especially for a writer, never hurt anyone. Gives you more to draw upon.

I’m going to be 30 very soon. As a first time applicant, I’m sincerely hoping that my (relatively) older age is an advantage. Good to know that not everyone is in their early 20s. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll have just reached my mid 20’s if I start in fall 2020. I would say it’s more about experience and individuality which typically come with age, but not necessarily.

• 3 weeks later...