Fall 2019 Cognitive Psychology Applicants

I think I'm done hearing back from my programs. How about the rest of you? People I know applying to neuro have yet to be notified by some places, but the more personalized direct-admit style psychology programs sped right along for me. First interviews will be a mega trip!! Visiting three campuses on the other side of the country before even coming home (gonna figure out the laundry... somehow). Eeeek! 

Good luck to all with interviews ? I wonder if I'll mysteriously end up in the same room as any of you. 

Edit: OH- one thing on JHU @itsannat and @Sophie Su. I got an invite on the 14th and as I was working out my scheduling I learned that they have a very short recruitment window. They have to start bringing people in soon and when I asked if I could visit in mid-Feb, they said it would be too late. If they haven't sent you guys anything they should seriously hop to it. 

Edited by neuroinformagical

17 hours ago, neuroinformagical said:

I think I'm done hearing back from my programs. How about the rest of you? People I know applying to neuro have yet to be notified by some places, but the more personalized direct-admit style psychology programs sped right along for me. First interviews will be a mega trip!! Visiting three campuses on the other side of the country before even coming home (gonna figure out the laundry... somehow). Eeeek! 

Good luck to all with interviews ? I wonder if I'll mysteriously end up in the same room as any of you. 

Edit: OH- one thing on JHU @itsannat and @Sophie Su. I got an invite on the 14th and as I was working out my scheduling I learned that they have a very short recruitment window. They have to start bringing people in soon and when I asked if I could visit in mid-Feb, they said it would be too late. If they haven't sent you guys anything they should seriously hop to it. 

Wow that is so annoying. I only got the email that they got my application together on the at 2 am on the 16th ? 

I saw a few of you mention cognitive science, which seems largely for psychology and computer science majors with a math background. I have a degree in philosophy, and I applied to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's cognitive science program. They recently extended their deadlines. Has anyone here heard anything about them? The program seems so off the grid and unconventional and no one is talking about .

20 hours ago, Matt12345 said:

I saw a few of you mention cognitive science, which seems largely for psychology and computer science majors with a math background. I have a degree in philosophy, and I applied to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's cognitive science program. They recently extended their deadlines. Has anyone here heard anything about them? The program seems so off the grid and unconventional and no one is talking about .

I very nearly applied to RPI for undergrad when I was looking for a school strong in cognitive science. I think it has one of the oldest cogsci programs in the country, but my impression was that it was somewhat isolated from the outside world and isolatING in department culture, or at least for undergrads. It's probably irresponsible for me to comment on it, not having done any research about their grad program or having visited though. I still have a soft spot for RPI because I spent a good amount of time fixated on its cognitive science program in high school though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:45 AM, aurlito said:

Thanks but are international applicants eligible for these positions? I once applied for one in Uni of Toronto and they said you have to be a Canadian citizen/ permanent resident ...?

In US you'd need to ask schools to sponsor you a J-1 visa (type is research scholar), which is the only possible option if you don't have F-1 OPT. Most schools should be able to do it, but some PIs may not know this especially if they haven't had international students/staff before. (Source: I've been working as an RA with J-1 visa after my OPT expired)

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, EigenVictor said:

How is everyone's February going? This thread has been so quiet it's scaring me.

It's been rather hectic! Stanford interview weekend wrapped up today and tomorrow I embark on my long journey home. How's yours going?

2 minutes ago, wrongpathos said:

It's been rather hectic! Stanford interview weekend wrapped up today and tomorrow I embark on my long journey home. How's yours going?

Congrats on interviewing at Stanford, that's an awesome program! I've been waiting on responses after interviews (that the programs told me would take a while), but it's still been radio silence from others.

2 minutes ago, EigenVictor said:

Congrats on interviewing at Stanford, that's an awesome program! I've been waiting on responses after interviews (that the programs told me would take a while), but it's still been radio silence from others.

Thank you! And yes! I'm also waiting on responses from a couple of programs, that makes me rather anxious and if I'm honest, makes me feel as if I haven't been selected. Congrats on the interviews though! What schools are you waiting to hear back from, if you don't mind sharing (completely understand if not).

Edited by wrongpathos

17 minutes ago, wrongpathos said:

Thank you! And yes! I'm also waiting on responses from a couple of programs, that makes me rather anxious and if I'm honest, makes me feel as if I haven't been selected. Congrats on the interviews though! What schools are you waiting to hear back from, if you don't mind sharing (completely understand if not).

Sorry I'm a little hesitant about sharing. Not entirely sure why though. Maybe after I get an acceptance and can make a decision about next year, hopefully it's soon.

5 minutes ago, EigenVictor said:

Sorry I'm a little hesitant about sharing. Not entirely sure why though. Maybe after I get an acceptance and can make a decision about next year, hopefully it's soon.

Absolutely no need to apologize! I understand 100% (i think! lol). I hope you get multiple offers!

• 10 months later...