Fall 2019 Cognitive Psychology Applicants

3 minutes ago, aurlito said:

Well , I had 5 months research experience in a computational neuroscience lab( no pub) and I did all the statistical analysis and programming in my thesis and my other projects myself . But I was basically told by NYU psychology PI that the main reason I was rejected was because I didn't have a  more clear mathemtical background . I think that should be something which is learned through grad school and not an entry requirement for a "psychology" program

In a way I agree with you, and probably a few years ago that would have been the case but the popularity of AI and its investigation from a cognitive perspective had made the playing field more competitive. My formal schooling is in psychology but if I get into graduate school this go around I would have 3 years of machine learning / computational cognitive modeling experience before starting.

I guess my advice would be to try and join a computational cognitive science lab full time. And if the school the lab is part of offers employees the opportunity to take courses for free then perhaps take some math classes?

@aurlito if you can handle waiting another round, maybe it's worth networking your heart out for the next year and tapping those connections? You have more experience than me so I can't presume to know more about the process, but did you rewrite each app knowing that those particular PIs were your audience? I honestly feel like I beat my own odds, given my stats, by knowing each of the PIs I applied to, talking via skype and in person to 11 individual people before even writing my application.

@aurlito

on the off chance this helps, I recently came across this position in a computational lab:
https://t.co/t7kBn9xvbF

lab website:

https://www.shenhavlab.org/

also see:

https://sites.google.com/view/mattnassar/positions?authuser=0

Edited by wrongpathos

This might seem like an obvious question, but I wanted to clarify for myself: Schools will notify you if you haven't been selected for an interview, right? Or do they send out rejections after people who have been considered are interviewed? I want to know when it would acceptable for me to reach out to the schools that haven't contacted me yet asking about my status. I was thinking I could start reaching out next week or so, but I don't want to seem like I'm rushing them. Some social and clinical applicants to the schools I applied to have heard back, but I applied to cognitive only.

9 minutes ago, junior313 said:

This might seem like an obvious question, but I wanted to clarify for myself: Schools will notify you if you haven't been selected for an interview, right? Or do they send out rejections after people who have been considered are interviewed? I want to know when it would acceptable for me to reach out to the schools that haven't contacted me yet asking about my status. I was thinking I could start reaching out next week or so, but I don't want to seem like I'm rushing them. Some social and clinical applicants to the schools I applied to have heard back, but I applied to cognitive only.

Not all, or even most I'd say. Most of my rejections last cycle sent out a generic reject email between mid February and late March. By that point I already knew I wasn't getting in because of the timing of interview weekends. I don't know of many programs that send out timely emails about not getting an interview/being rejected.

@junior313 Similar to what @1996kayden has said, I am under the impression (I don't actually know for sure) that different schools handle rejections differently. It seems that a few have sent the rejections around the time that they extended interview invites. My guess is that the ones that don't do this are going to wait until the official admissions offers are made and send the rejections then. 

My personal opinion is that you should not ask about your application status at any point unless there is a really good reason to do so. 

Did anyone hear back from WashU (WUSTL) for an interview? I've heard that the POI's individually reached out to some, but was the departmental mail sent? I'm specifically interested in the cognitive area, but any info would help. Thanks!

@Sophie Su I haven’t seen anything in the results page, but I also got an email saying my GRE had been received. 

I am not sure what people have meant by mass email. All of the invites I have gotten have been personally addressed. Does it just mean that it isn’t from the PI? My gut says that when the graduate program coordinator emails about travel arrangements that is when all interview invites have been made. 

On 1/16/2019 at 6:45 AM, aurlito said:

Thanks but are international applicants eligible for these positions? I once applied for one in Uni of Toronto and they said you have to be a Canadian citizen/ permanent resident ...?

@aurlito

typically it will say upfront if they won't sponsor a work visa. that post doesn't say anything so it might be worth reaching out either to them(admin) or to the PI of the lab: https://www.schapirolab.org/people

Edited by wrongpathos

1 hour ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

Anyone heard from (or also waiting to hear from) Northwestern cognitive? 

Nope, haven't heard from that one either. Low key considering email the grad coordinators of the schools I haven't heard from - VERY tired of waiting. But if you hear back in the meantime, would you let me know?

4 hours ago, junior313 said:

Nope, haven't heard from that one either. Low key considering email the grad coordinators of the schools I haven't heard from - VERY tired of waiting. But if you hear back in the meantime, would you let me know?

someone just DM'd me saying they got their non-clinical (but not cognitive) invite before christmas and that all interviews are february 1st :(