Bringing partner to grad school

gradnstructure101

Question

4 answers to this question

Along with what others have mentioned, you would also have to look at the specific policy of the school. Some schools don't care, others have a hard policy of only students in student housing, and others may only allow partners if you two are legally married. I would suggest that you speak to someone in the housing department of the school if you are seriously considering this option, as only they can give you the answer regarding the policy. 

Depending on the housing type, like do they offer graduate housing then your partner is allowed to stay with you. Some schools don't have graduate housing so you just have to look for an apartment then.

Off campus will probably be the best bet I think. I like the privacy you'll get if you do off campus housing tbh :P

For graduate housing, I mean you gotta split with other students right? Plus if your partner's working, he should have the fund to rent a 1bedroom/1 bathroom apt off campus (plus your PhD stipend) it should help. 

I moved from Texas to RI and I loved that we have 3bed/1 bathroom off campus (I know 3 bed is so many LOL) but we both worked before this so we are spoiled. 

I am doing my Master's right now and my school offers graduate housing. My husband works full-time and I work part-time in addition to my studies. We live off campus in a one-bedroom apartment. It is a bit tight financially (we are in the NYC area) but we love our apartment and have a good quality of life.