UTornto Computer Science MSc F19

timkartar

20 minutes ago, nocoffeeforme said:

I just had my interview with a theory prof. He told me that starting from this year U of T's MSc program no longer accepts international students, so they will consider me for PhD direct entry instead.

Well, that's some unexpectedly bad news ?

Is it like this for all groups?

24 minutes ago, nocoffeeforme said:

I just had my interview with a theory prof. He told me that starting from this year U of T's MSc program no longer accepts international students, so they will consider me for PhD direct entry instead.

Is it specific to your research area or in general?

From the looks of the front page of the search, it seems like if the option unlocked means you didn't get through. It's one guy so I'd take it with a grain of salt, but this doesn't look good ?.

Well I applied to MSc in Human Computer Interaction... I contacted my POIs but neither 2 (Grossman, and Munteanu) replied...

I don't think I really have a chance, though. Don't think my profile competitive. GPA 3.86/4(3.91/4 in final year) from an ordinary Univ in China, GRE 161/165/3, Merely a DIS (2nd author), and all 3 LORs came from mainland China/HK. I was a summer intern at McGill in 2017, but Jeremy isn't writing a LOR (He's on sabbatical...)

5 hours ago, weldon_m said:

I think the changes in the Research Area and PoI shouldn't be a big problem.

Fact is that my Research Area is always changeable ever since I submitted my MSc application form.

And I got an interview yesterday. So be relaxed.

Thank you for this. It's a relief. Also can you please let us know your research area? It would be helpful to identify the departments that are issuing the interview requests. Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, s3ntin3l said:

Nope. Why did I apply to UofT? I did not submit a GRE score, I'm an international student, just fucked myself over. FUCCCCCCCCCK !!!

Do you have a US/Canadian bachelor's degree? If so, it shouldn't matter much from what I have heard.

For those interested: I have been told that last year there were about 220 domestic applicants for the MSc program, of which about 70 received offers. There were slightly less than 900 international applicants for the MSc, receiving about 40 offers. 

Of course, if international applicants aren't being considered for the MSc this year - and given that we received an email stating that there are an unprecedented number of applicants this year, I'm not sure how helpful this is.

20 hours ago, timkartar said:

Hey Goku, I see u have applied to waterloo too. Any news from them?

Haven't heard anything from them yet. For their program I went with the non-thesis/coursework option, so it might differ unless you chose the same.

1 hour ago, johnsmythe said:

For those interested: I have been told that last year there were about 220 domestic applicants for the MSc program, of which about 70 received offers. There were slightly less than 900 international applicants for the MSc, receiving about 40 offers. 

Of course, if international applicants aren't being considered for the MSc this year - and given that we received an email stating that there are an unprecedented number of applicants this year, I'm not sure how helpful this is.

You got an email regarding the large number of applicants? I didn't get any email regarding that.

"The DCS form must be completed by midnight 18 December as reviewing
will begin on the 19th. We have an unprecedented number of applications
this year and the decision making process will be even more difficult than
usual. "

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, GokuUI said:

Anyone here heard back? Are they still sending out interview invites? Legit freaking out cause even Feb's up and still no interview ?

Maybe it is time to contact the department and inquire about our applications. 

• 2 weeks later...