Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recommended Posts

Oh my....here we go:

I was compulsively checking all my applications today even though I knew nothing new was gonna be there (as one does).
I check CUNY, and nearly entered cardiac arrest. It said my application was incomplete, and incomplete applications cannot be considered.
What made it incomplete you ask? It said my GRE scores were not received. The thing is I sent my GRE scores in November, and every other place has received them.
I naturally panicked and emailed both ETS and CUNY admissions, but has anyone else had this problem before? Is this somehow my fault? Will they hold it against me even if there was some sort of mix up? Have I officially dug a grave for my poor little CUNY application?

Edit: It should also be noted that when I view my actual application and go to the "Check your application" tab, it says I've completed everything I need for my application and that it's been successfully submitted. Does that mean there's any hope that this is just a mishap?

Edited by SomeoneAcceptMe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it may just be that they haven't updated their system yet. i didn't find anything on their website that says you shouldn't email them (for example, ucla cinema & media studies explicitly says on their website: "Please do not contact the department to check on your application, as we cannot update you on your application status or materials"), so you probably could just ask nicely :)

Edited by mandelbulb
grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Oh my....here we go:

I was compulsively checking all my applications today even though I knew nothing new was gonna be there (as one does).
I check CUNY, and nearly entered cardiac arrest. It said my application was incomplete, and incomplete applications cannot be considered.
What made it incomplete you ask? It said my GRE scores were not received. The thing is I sent my GRE scores in November, and every other place has received them.
I naturally panicked and emailed both ETS and CUNY admissions, but has anyone else had this problem before? Is this somehow my fault? Will they hold it against me even if there was some sort of mix up? Have I officially dug a grave for my poor little CUNY application?

Edit: It should also be noted that when I view my actual application and go to the "Check your application" tab, it says I've completed everything I need for my application and that it's been successfully submitted. Does that mean there's any hope that this is just a mishap?

I would definitely encourage you to email the department. I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I submitted my application on December 28th and it wasn't registered as complete until January 7th. I think it's feasible that their system might just be delayed if you didn't submit your application until the day it was due or something. I'll paste a screen cap below for reference.

1706154798_ScreenShot2019-01-12at8_51_42PM.thumb.png.3cb6d7e70667751e7bbf1d4a78d02c16.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mwils15 said:

I would definitely encourage you to email the department. I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I submitted my application on December 28th and it wasn't registered as complete until January 7th. I think it's feasible that their system might just be delayed if you didn't submit your application until the day it was due or something. I'll paste a screen cap below for reference.

1706154798_ScreenShot2019-01-12at8_51_42PM.thumb.png.3cb6d7e70667751e7bbf1d4a78d02c16.png

That is helpful, thank you! I submitted mine on the 31st so maybe it is just delayed. I just find it weird that my GRE scores haven't been processed since I sent them in November. Anyway, I sent an email so hopefully I'll hear back soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I might have found the problem: 
"Official documents, which are not required for review purposes, mailed to the Admissions Office will NOT be marked as received in the application checklist."
Do GRE scores count as official documents? I also reported my scores on the application like it asked, so I'm unsure what would count as an unofficial GRE score report ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

I think I might have found the problem: 
"Official documents, which are not required for review purposes, mailed to the Admissions Office will NOT be marked as received in the application checklist."
Do GRE scores count as official documents? I also reported my scores on the application like it asked, so I'm unsure what would count as an unofficial GRE score report ?

If you look at the screen cap I shared it says “not official” (I too sent official score reports; if I didn’t have to do that for CUNY, I’m mad!! I want my 27 dollars back, ETS!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

If you look at the screen cap I shared it says “not official” (I too sent official score reports; if I didn’t have to do that for CUNY, I’m mad!! I want my 27 dollars back, ETS!)

ohhh I see! I guess I must've done something wrong on the GRE part of the application. 
And I also want my $27 back!! This whole process has wreaked havoc on my bank account ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

ohhh I see! I guess I must've done something wrong on the GRE part of the application. 
And I also want my $27 back!! This whole process has wreaked havoc on my bank account ?

Hi! I'm also applying to CUNY and after reading your post I checked my portal and found the same message (“your application is incomplete”). My GRE scores are also unofficial, which is weird, since I sent the official reports to all of my schools at the same time (in November, just as you did!), and they've all received the official reports. I submitted my application on the 31st, so it might be possible that the system hasn't been updated for us. I will write the department just in case... Let me know if you hear something! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what it says on there graduate center site under "Prospective Students" --> "Admissions" --> "Gather your applications" --> "Learn More".  On my application I uploaded my student score report but I did not send it through ETS. It will still say (not official) next to your scores, just like your transcript, because I think that even if you have submitted through ETS they don't cross reference that data base until you are accepted. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 2.58.45 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you go to your actual application it says this:

 

Documents submitted with the application, such as transcripts and standardized tests, will be marked as received or not received as your application is processed. During the months of December and January, when the volume of submitted applications is high, it may take a week or more to process complete online applications. Official documents, which are not required for review purposes, mailed to the Admissions Office will NOT be marked as received in the application checklist. 

So I'm thinking that the official GRE report likely won't be marked on your checklist? 

 

Edited by Sav
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt that adcomms are looking for reasons to disqualify someone's application! On the contrary, a lot of departments will email you if they notice that you're missing documents. I'd say that giving the department a call during business hours tomorrow is probably the best course of action. UCLA didn't show my GRE scores on the day I submitted my app, and the graduate coordinator I talked to was very reassuring. They want everyone's application to have a good shot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Oh my....here we go:

I was compulsively checking all my applications today even though I knew nothing new was gonna be there (as one does).
I check CUNY, and nearly entered cardiac arrest. It said my application was incomplete, and incomplete applications cannot be considered.
What made it incomplete you ask? It said my GRE scores were not received. The thing is I sent my GRE scores in November, and every other place has received them.
I naturally panicked and emailed both ETS and CUNY admissions, but has anyone else had this problem before? Is this somehow my fault? Will they hold it against me even if there was some sort of mix up? Have I officially dug a grave for my poor little CUNY application?

Edit: It should also be noted that when I view my actual application and go to the "Check your application" tab, it says I've completed everything I need for my application and that it's been successfully submitted. Does that mean there's any hope that this is just a mishap?

My GRE scores still show as “incomplete” on my Johns Hopskins application. I’ve emailed them several times and only ever receive the same response which is that there is a “glitch” that should be resolved in a week or two.

jesus take the wheel, I’m done worrying about it at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This happened to me too! I waited a couple of weeks to see if they would eventually process my scores. When they didn't, I sent the admissions office an email with a  screenshot of the order receipt and like every other piece of evidence that said that I had sent them my GRE scores before the deadline (I applied to their Anthropology program and it had a Dec.1 deadline), and so far I don't think it has affected my application(?).  I think CUNY is just having trouble processing GRE scores. I doubt that it will affect your application. Good luck everyone! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.