ETH ESOP 2019

Sup everyone,

My name is Elia and I applied for a Master in Robotics, Systems and Control at ETH. I also applied for the ESOP scholarship.

I thought it would be nice to start a new thread for this year's waiting process, in order to share our interviews (if any), advice, etc.

Let's see if this works :)

Hi Long and AbdulBasit,

Sorry for my late reply :).

I did not receive an email regarding your replies, hehe.

Nice. Anyone got any news?

I spoke with few people who got the ESOP regarding the interview process, and their interview was late January early February.

What are your backgrounds?

Btw, there has been a serious typo on my first message, my name is Ilyass :).

Is it possible to get an interview for the ESOP but then receiving a rejection letter for the master program? Or is that if we get the interview invitation we are pretty much certain that we get accepted for the master program? Anyone has any idea about this?

12 hours ago, WLin said:

Is it possible to get an interview for the ESOP but then receiving a rejection letter for the master program? Or is that if we get the interview invitation we are pretty much certain that we get accepted for the master program? Anyone has any idea about this?

I think they first select x candidates (which should be the ones getting the ESOP) and they carry out the interviews. Unless some of them screws badly, I reckon they should get it.

However, there have been people who got ESOP without interviewing. So I guess it varies a lot. :)

You got an interview?

2 hours ago, itaouil said:

I think they first select x candidates (which should be the ones getting the ESOP) and they carry out the interviews. Unless some of them screws badly, I reckon they should get it.

However, there have been people who got ESOP without interviewing. So I guess it varies a lot. :)

You got an interview?

Yes I had my interview on the 22nd. I applied to the Earth Science MS. Also, do you know if they send out acceptance letters separately (for master and ESOP) or do they send together at mid March? I saw people in the forum saying they got master acceptance but haven't heard about ESOP in the threads in previous years.

45 minutes ago, WLin said:

Yes I had my interview on the 22nd. I applied to the Earth Science MS. Also, do you know if they send out acceptance letters separately (for master and ESOP) or do they send together at mid March? I saw people in the forum saying they got master acceptance but haven't heard about ESOP in the threads in previous years.

The people I have heard from received it separately. A couple of days of gap, I guess.

Can I ask what kind of questions they asked you, and how long was it?

1 hour ago, itaouil said:

The people I have heard from received it separately. A couple of days of gap, I guess.

Can I ask what kind of questions they asked you, and how long was it?

It was 30 mins in length, the questions they asked were pretty much the same as what people mentioned in the threads for previous years, about the thesis proposal you wrote and some questions about the area of research you are interested in. I guess there isn't really a "list of questions" they were suppose to ask, but rather it's more individually based questions according to the materials you submitted. They also asked about other schools you applied to and how would you put eth in the ranking order of preference. 

1 hour ago, WLin said:

It was 30 mins in length, the questions they asked were pretty much the same as what people mentioned in the threads for previous years, about the thesis proposal you wrote and some questions about the area of research you are interested in. I guess there isn't really a "list of questions" they were suppose to ask, but rather it's more individually based questions according to the materials you submitted. They also asked about other schools you applied to and how would you put eth in the ranking order of preference. 

I see.

All the best :)

On 1/23/2019 at 6:10 PM, WLin said:

Great to know that you got an invitation for interview. 

Can you share your academic profile? like publications, work experience?

10 hours ago, MoyGcc said:

Cause i am studying now in Germany. I got 0 research experience and that means i dont even know how to write a preproposal..........BTW, i also applied for MSc RSC

Sup,

Nice. Did you apply for ESOP anyway?

What was your tutor choice?

2 hours ago, itaouil said:

Sup,

Nice. Did you apply for ESOP anyway?

What was your tutor choice?

Dude, i dont even know what kind of proposal i should write, of course didn't apply for ESOP/MSP.  I have choosed D‘Andrea, Van Gool and Buhmann.  How about u?

On 1/24/2019 at 2:58 PM, AbdulBasitMirza said:

Great to know that you got an invitation for interview. 

Can you share your academic profile? like publications, work experience?

GPA 3.80~3.85, GRE V157 Q168 W4.0, no publication, but one paper in progress that might get published. No work exp, some summer intern, member of university's honors college. Undergraduate with double major and double minor.

Edited by WLin

1 hour ago, PravSil said:

Hey!

Thank you @itaouil for opening the discussion for this year. :)

I also applied to MTEC + ESOP/MSP @LongC :) I received no response yet (admissions+ESOP). 

Expecting a good news, fingers crossed ;) Good luck everyone!!!

Welcome onboard @PravSil :).

I also received no feedback on ESOP/MSP and my master application, yet :).

Matter of time I guess :).

On 1/23/2019 at 5:37 AM, WLin said:

Well, hello WLin! I am surprised to find another receiver of the ESOP interview here! On the same date and for the same major. I choose Geophysics. May I know yours? 

1 hour ago, Aang said:

Well, hello WLin! I am surprised to find another receiver of the ESOP interview here! On the same date and for the same major. I choose Geophysics. May I know yours? 

You also an interview for ESOP?

10 hours ago, Aang said:

You can be double surprised now! I'm also applying to Geophysics.