ETH ESOP 2019

My name is Mark James and I applied for a Master at ETH. I also applied for the ESOP and MSP scholarship.
I had my interview on the 25th.  Is that if we get the interview invitation we are pretty much certain that we get accepted for the master program? 

Anyone has any idea about this?

59 minutes ago, Mark James said:

My name is Mark James and I applied for a Master at ETH. I also applied for the ESOP and MSP scholarship.
I had my interview on the 25th.  Is that if we get the interview invitation we are pretty much certain that we get accepted for the master program? 

Yes, at least for the Master in Data Science you are admitted to the program first and only then considered for ESOP.

3 minutes ago, LittleMissDynamite said:

I talked to a Professor at ETH today and he told me that the internal deadline is mid-February. So I guess if you haven't had your interview by then chances are pretty low.

For all Departements?

It is strange, because I can still withdraw my application (MSc Physics) and it seems like it has not been processed at all yet. How much time did you have between the invitation for the interview and the interview itself?

Edited by phy21

5 hours ago, Mark James said:

@Mark JamesCheers! To which M.Sc. program at ETH did you apply?

3 hours ago, phy21 said:

It is strange, because I can still withdraw my application (MSc Physics) and it seems like it has not been processed at all yet. How much time did you have between the invitation for the interview and the interview itself? 

@phy21 I still have the withdraw button too (MSc Physics & HEP). Did you have an invitation for a interview?

8 hours ago, Mark James said:

Thanks LittleMissDynamiteDid the professor tell you during the interview, that you will be admitted to the program?

I did not have my interview, I just went up to the Professor and asked. The final decision on all the scholarships will be made by ETH's rector Sarah Springman and not by the professors who reviewed your application/conducted your interview. I asked the study administration for Data Science about the procedure regarding admission to the Master's program and ESOP so you can try contacting the corresponding people at your department.

15 hours ago, vphys said:

@Mark JamesCheers! To which M.Sc. program at ETH did you apply?

@phy21 I still have the withdraw button too (MSc Physics & HEP). Did you have an invitation for a interview?

No, I did not hear anything about my application yet. But if the withdraw button is still there, doesn't that mean that the application still has not been processed yet? It seems a bit late to still get an invitation for an interview though.

1 hour ago, phy21 said:

No, I did not hear anything about my application yet. But if the withdraw button is still there, doesn't that mean that the application still has not been processed yet? It seems a bit late to still get an invitation for an interview though.

What do you mean late to still get an invitation for an interview? The  only people I have heard having an interview before Feb were people from other MSc, which probably have a smaller  number of applications (I guess...) Also I haven't seen any info, from previous years on this site, regarding ESOP interview dates of MSc. Physics/HEP candidates.

1 hour ago, vphys said:

What do you mean late to still get an invitation for an interview? The  only people I have heard having an interview before Feb were people from other MSc, which probably have a smaller  number of applications (I guess...) Also I haven't seen any info, from previous years on this site, regarding ESOP interview dates of MSc. Physics/HEP candidates.

Yes I mean compared to the threads in the last years (not sure if also Physics, but probably), the interviews for most departements were in mid February and the invitation needs to come some days in advance to leave enough time for preparation. That's why I do not have too high hopes anymore, I could be wrong of course. There is also not so much time left until mid March, when we should receive the results.

2 hours ago, phy21 said:

Yes I mean compared to the threads in the last years (not sure if also Physics, but probably), the interviews for most departements were in mid February and the invitation needs to come some days in advance to leave enough time for preparation. That's why I do not have too high hopes anymore, I could be wrong of course. There is also not so much time left until mid March, when we should receive the results.

Don't lose your hope. There were people who were informed about the interview until mid February in previous years. For example,

user name = tudor (applied for MSc in Physics) 

Informed about interview: 9 Feb
Skype interview: 11 Feb
Official offer, e-mail: 24 Feb
Official offer, snail mail to Romania: 2 March (no word about ESOP)
ESOP decision: ? waiting

user name = jmlribeiro (applied for MSc in Computer Science) 

Informed about interview: 9 Feb
Phone interview: 11 Feb
Official offer, e-mail: 17 Feb
Official offer, snail mail to Portugal: 19 Feb (no word about ESOP)
ESOP decision: ? waiting

user name = camilo.z (applied for MSc in Physics)

Informed about interview: 11 Feb
Phone interview: 13 Feb
Official offer, e-mail: 24 Feb
Official offer, snail mail to Colombia: Waiting
ESOP decision: ? Waiting

You can read their answers in ETH ESOP 2015 thread.

8 minutes ago, PravSil said:

Can anyone pls tell whether this is true? Anyone who got interviews can confirm this I guess!? This screen shot is from ETH 2018 Admissions & ESOP thread. My "Withdraw" button is still active. ?

image.thumb.png.6e411ae76792395ea51b84ec4a6949ba.png

@PravSil I don't know mate, but this seems like anecdotal evidence to me. BTW mine withdraw button is still active, too.

My withdraw button is still there too. I think it depends upon the program and the date we submitted out application.

What's your program?

My intended program is Electrical Engineering Master and I submitted my application on 6th December 2018.

7 hours ago, PravSil said:

Can anyone pls tell whether this is true? Anyone who got interviews can confirm this I guess!? This screen shot is from ETH 2018 Admissions & ESOP thread. My "Withdraw" button is still active. ?

image.thumb.png.6e411ae76792395ea51b84ec4a6949ba.png

I got the interview and the button is still active. Don't really think the button means anything, don't be too worried.

Hi all,

Thank you for all the valuable info that you indicated here.

I applied to MSc Environmental Engineering and I have not got any news about an interview or decision yet.

Are there any other applicants who applied to the same MSc?