2019 Results

cefran

55 minutes ago, homesicksub said:

FYI - for anyone who applied to GWU's Elliott School, check the application portal. Decisions should be up. No email though, which is odd.

I got the email half an hour ago, so they probably updated the portal right before sending notifications! Did you receive any info on funding? I assumed I'd hear at the same time but didn't see any mention of it.

4 minutes ago, somewhatslightlydazed said:

I got the email half an hour ago, so they probably updated the portal right before sending notifications! Did you receive any info on funding? I assumed I'd hear at the same time but didn't see any mention of it.

Yeah, I got the email shortly after my post! Congrats!

No info on funding for me either, which is strange. I assumed the same as you. I'm glad it's not just me seeing no mention of it – I thought it might mean I didn't get any funding.

Edit: Now that I think about it, given that both the email and the letter appear generic, they probably will send funding info separately on a case-by-case basis. That's my hope, anyways.

Edited by homesicksub

11 hours ago, cefran said:

I received an email last night from GW to check the portal, and I was admitted with merit funding!! There will be a separate email with detailed funding information coming "shortly". I'm 3 for 3 now at UMD, AU, and GW. Just waiting to hear from AU on funding. :D

I'll post a more detailed response once I have everything in!

@succulentdad and @BroadwayBetty, I was at the Top Prospect Day too! In Jennifer's email follow up, it said "late next week", which would have been late last week. We had a weather closure in DC last week, though, so that may have thrown things off.

Hey! Congrats!!! Did you apply to GW's MPA or MPP? My application is still saying it is "under review," which is weird considering others have heard from Trachtenberg (could be they sent out acceptances before denials)

Edited by usernamesmakemeanxious

8 minutes ago, usernamesmakemeanxious said:

Hey! Congrats!!! Did you apply to GW's MPA or MPP? My application is still saying it is "under review," which is weird considering others have heard from Trachtenberg (could be they sent out acceptances before denials)

So far I’ve only seen acceptances for the MPA program

Just now, FujiShe said:

So far I’ve only seen acceptances for the MPA program

Got it. Thank you! On an extremely frustrating note, my application is also showing that I checked "no" for funding consideration, which I know I did not indicate. This is what I get for applying from a small village in Africa with spotty wifi hotspots...ugh

On 2/27/2019 at 1:31 PM, usernamesmakemeanxious said:

Hi all! This is a wonderful find! I will update as I hear results...

Program Applied To:  MPP,  MPA (considering applying for a dual JD in my first year)
Schools Applied To:  Ford (UMich) - MPP , Sanford (Duke) - MPP , Trachtenberg (GWU) - MPP, SPEA (Indiana) - MPA, JGCPA (Ohio) - MPA, University of Central Florida - MPA
Schools Admitted To: UCF, SPEA, JGCPA, Trachtenberg
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting: 
Ford, Sanford
Undergraduate institution:  NYU
Undergraduate GPA:  3.7
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate: 3.9
Undergraduate Major:  BFA Drama
GRE Quantitative Score:  156 (SPEA acceptance included a mandatory "math camp" if I choose to attend...warranted!)
GRE Verbal Score:  162
GRE AW Score:  5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  5
Years of Work Experience:  5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  3+ years of nonprofit experience in both theatre (education and directing) and international health care/development (my current job). 1.5 years in accounting for a tech company. Volunteer involvement with local racial justice and political organizations.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I mostly talked about my evolution from theatre to public service. I entered college believing I could best promote racial equity through art but slowly began to identify that my skills –and desire for quantifiable change – are better suited for a career in policy advocacy. My mom (a lawyer) and my cousin (a nonprofit researcher) edited for clarity; my background in creative writing made me thesis a little wayward. I also received feedback from my recommenders about how to include personal struggles in a way which felt appropriate and supported my argument.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I had one rec from NYU (my thesis adviser and current Drama Studies chair), 1 from a past employer and 1 from my current employer. I am very close to my employers, but had to reconnect with my old professor. They were all extremely helpful and I barely had to remind them to submit.
Other: My biggest weaknesses are my mediocre math skills and my undergrad major. I took American government, microecon and stats after college to help strengthen my application, but the jury is still out whether this will help me with the more competitive programs. Also, I am not sure if this is relevant for anyone, but I refused to apply to HKS and Goldman. HKS because I had a lousy experience talking to their admissions department. After I got off the phone I thought, “Well that confirmed every Harvard stereotype I have!” Goldman because I started the application and realized they wanted my first born child (information-wise) and I simply couldn’t find the time between the other applications, job and volunteer work.

1 hour ago, FujiShe said:

Thanks for the heads up! 

Admitted, no funding though womp womp

Yeah, same! That is a bummer for sure...I notice you're also applying to Sanford. What are your top choices? I'm holding out for Ford and Sanford and hoping by some miracle one of those will give me funding.

Is it safe to say schools like SIPA, MSFS, and Tufts’ Fletcher are likely to send results on a Friday? I have a feeling those schools will be announcing results this week.

16 minutes ago, FujiShe said:

Sanford is out and gave me HELLA NICE funding (36k plus TA)

CONGRATULATIONS! 

I can't view my decision - keep getting an error message. Spoke with someone in the office and it appears their site has crashed due to traffic. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

11 minutes ago, TalkPoliticsToMe said:

CONGRATULATIONS! 

I can't view my decision - keep getting an error message. Spoke with someone in the office and it appears their site has crashed due to traffic. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

Ah so frustrating!! Good luck!

2 hours ago, usernamesmakemeanxious said:

Yeah, same! That is a bummer for sure...I notice you're also applying to Sanford. What are your top choices? I'm holding out for Ford and Sanford and hoping by some miracle one of those will give me funding.

Hey! Duke and Chicago are my top choices!

we actually come from super similar backgrounds, I’m rocking a degree in musical theatre!

53 minutes ago, FujiShe said:

Hey! Duke and Chicago are my top choices!

we actually come from super similar backgrounds, I’m rocking a degree in musical theatre!

That's amazing! And unusual for this field!  Congrats again on your funding from Duke!!! Maybe I'll see you there in the fall :)

Edited by usernamesmakemeanxious

5 hours ago, madrid said:

Got funding decision from GWU Trachtenberg! Selected as a Trachtenberg scholar, 2 year partial tuition (22k and 18k) .

Congrats! I am so anxious to hear about my award. ?

19 hours ago, homesicksub said:

Is it safe to say schools like SIPA, MSFS, and Tufts’ Fletcher are likely to send results on a Friday? I have a feeling those schools will be announcing results this week.

Based on past years, I believe your hunch about SIPA may be on target.  Fingers crossed we hear back this Friday! 

On 3/4/2019 at 3:24 PM, homesicksub said:

This blog makes it seems like Tufts Fletcher will be releasing this Friday or sooner. https://sites.tufts.edu/fletcheradmissions/

SIPA says that their decision release date is March 15th on the blog as well and that's what I was told by an admissions officer as well.

MSFS, who knows. 

12 minutes ago, margentina17 said:

This blog makes it seems like Tufts Fletcher will be releasing this Friday or sooner. https://sites.tufts.edu/fletcheradmissions/

SIPA says that their decision release date is March 15th on the blog as well and that's what I was told by an admissions officer as well.

MSFS, who knows. 

Thank you for the info! A friend of a friend had asked MSFS directly about decisions and apparently they told him that they are trying to get them out by this Friday. We’ll see if this is the case in due time.

Edited by homesicksub

14 minutes ago, homesicksub said:

Thank you for the info! A friend of a friend had asked MSFS directly about decisions and apparently they told him that they are trying to get them out by this Friday. We’ll see if this is the case in due time.

If we find out about all three programs on one day, I may lose my mind. Anyways, best of luck to all! 

3 hours ago, homesicksub said:

Hey @homesicksub, I realized I said SIPA instead of SAIS. The SAIS notification date is March 15th.  I didn't apply to SIPA, so I have no idea about that! Sorry!