2019 Results

cefran

50 minutes ago, margentina17 said:

Hey @homesicksub, I realized I said SIPA instead of SAIS. The SAIS notification date is March 15th.  I didn't apply to SIPA, so I have no idea about that! Sorry!

No problem! I’m applying to SAIS as well so it’s good to know regardless. ☺️

On 2/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, homesicksub said:

Hi everyone,  just joined the forum. I applied back in January, and I expect to hear from all of my schools from now until around March 15.

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIA/IR/MPP
Schools Applied
To: Georgetown University, George Washington University, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Columbia University, New York University, Tufts University, University of Tokyo
Schools Admitted To:  George Washington University (M.A. International Affairs), New York University (M.A. International Relations), University of Tokyo (MPP), Tufts Fletcher School (MALD)
Schools Rejected From:  None yet, but it's still very early. I don't expect to get into the MSFS program at Georgetown and the MIA program at Columbia SIPA given a lack of professional experience in the IR field. The rest are probably 50/50 odds if I had to guess.
Still Waiting: Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Columbia University
Undergraduate institution: Medium-sized New England liberal arts school, well-known (Iat least in academia)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.79/4.0
Undergraduate Major: Political Science and Asian Studies
GRE Quantitative Score: 162
GRE Verbal Score: 167
GRE AW Score: 6.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1 year
Years of Work Experience: 1 year since graduation, about 3 years cumulative since my first year of college
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Legal industry and ESL teaching

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Took a while to get it right, but with the help of professors and advisors, I think I did the best I could in spite of a lack of relevant work experience. Still, I think I got the point across in my statement: identified academic background and goals, how my professional experience tangentially relates to the field of international policy, reasons for studying at University XYZ, and career goals in public service.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Most programs required 3 letters. 2 of my references were from professors still teaching at my undergrad, who I was particularly close with, one being my academic advisor. The third was a former professor who went on to work in academic administration, but her and I are also very close. They've recommended me in the past for other opportunities, and I think they've done a good job for these grad schools, given the positive results so far. One professor was particularly hard to manage, I really had to stay on top of him to make sure he got letters in on time.

Other: I also applied to a Fulbright grant. I'm a current semi-finalist, and if I get that, I'll absolutely do that before grad school. Not only would it be a great life experience, but it would also enhance my application the next time around and possibly make me more desirable to tougher programs at Columbia SIPA or Georgetown's School of Foreign Service.

Just updating my original post (I’ve never been on a forum that prevents editing posts after a period of time). Frankly shocked I got into MALD with less than a year of post-grad experience in a barely-relevant industry. I’ll take what I can get though!

Out of my acceptances, I’m wavering between GWU’s International Affairs and Tufts’ MALD. GWU is cheaper and has the benefit of being in DC (which, I should say is more expensive to live in), whereas Tufts might have more “prestige” (but is also far away from DC, where I hope to work after school). Anyone have initial thoughts?

Edited by homesicksub

6 hours ago, homesicksub said:

Just updating my original post (I’ve never been on a forum that prevents editing posts after a period of time). Frankly shocked I got into MALD with less than a year of post-grad experience in a barely-relevant industry. I’ll take what I can get though!

Out of my acceptances, I’m wavering between GWU’s International Affairs and Tufts’ MALD. GWU is cheaper and has the benefit of being in DC (which, I should say is more expensive to live in), whereas Tufts might have more “prestige” (but is also far away from DC, where I hope to work after school). Anyone have initial thoughts?

If you want to work in DC, I'd say go to school in DC, especially if you currently don't have any ties or connections there. Going to school there will allow you to intern, attend talks at think tanks and at GW, and network at various events. Plus GW is cheaper!

3 minutes ago, Amelia75 said:

If you want to work in DC, I'd say go to school in DC, especially if you currently don't have any ties or connections there. Going to school there will allow you to intern, attend talks at think tanks and at GW, and network at various events. Plus GW is cheaper!

Thank you for the advice! I definitely have zero ties to DC, considering that I went to school in Massachusetts. From a career-building standpoint, GW may be the better choice.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:27 PM, succulentdad said:

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, Master of Arts in Public Management (JHU)
Schools Applied To:  George Washington University (Trachtenberg), American University (SPA), Johns Hopkins University, University of Colorado Denver 
Schools Admitted To:  American, Hopkins, CU Denver
Schools Rejected From:  --
Still Waiting:  GW
Undergraduate institution:  University of Colorado Boulder
Undergraduate GPA:  3.51
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):  
Undergraduate Major: Vocal Performance
GRE Quantitative Score:  158
GRE Verbal Score:  156
GRE AW Score:  5.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2
Years of Work Experience:  4
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Internships with a state senator and with a nonprofit that focuses on vote accessibility/ engagement; 1 year of campaign experience; multiple years in private sector.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Well, I wrote 19 drafts of the SOP, and I finally was happy with it in the end--it's very strong, and has clearly worked so far. Full disclosure: I live with an ex-professor who sat on an admissions committee for ten years and she worked with me until the very end of the final draft giving feedback.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very strong. Three of these programs required two letters, which I got from my state house rep that I'm close with and from my undergraduate opera director, who oversaw my progress through four years of performances and vocal trainings. My third (for CU) comes from my current boss, who is a CU professor. They admitted me within 18 hours of my final letter getting through.
Other: Went to American's top prospect day, and they offered a really lovely weekend of informational sessions and meet and greets. Anxiously awaiting to hear back from GW, which is my top choice. Has anyone gotten anything from Trachtenberg yet?

Just found out I got into American as well. Any thoughts on their program's strengths and weaknesses?

I am an international student from Asia region and who applied for the International Affairs program. I need some ideas regarding choosing a school which I would attend. I got admitted from UC San Diego(MIA), American SIS (MIA comparative and regional studies), and Syracuse University(MIA) so far.

The most important concerns regarding this issue are related to the potential Internship opportunity during semesters/vacations and probability of Job seeking in the US after graduation. I know that these schools have a pretty good reputation in the field of IR but still want to compare the strengths and weaknesses of each schoolUCSD. SIS. SYRACUSE. Any of your thoughts and opinions regarding these schools will be helpful. Thanks 

37 minutes ago, jane15 said:

I am an international student from Asia region and who applied for the International Affairs program. I need some ideas regarding choosing a school which I would attend. I got admitted from UC San Diego(MIA), American SIS (MIA comparative and regional studies), and Syracuse University(MIA) so far.

The most important concerns regarding this issue are related to the potential Internship opportunity during semesters/vacations and probability of Job seeking in the US after graduation. I know that these schools have a pretty good reputation in the field of IR but still want to compare the strengths and weaknesses of each schoolUCSD. SIS. SYRACUSE. Any of your thoughts and opinions regarding these schools will be helpful. Thanks 

Congrats! Those are all great schools, and if any of them has given you substantially more funding, I'd weigh that heavily. But specifically in terms of internships, it seems like American SIS would be your best option because there are so many nonprofits, think tanks, and government offices in DC that you can find internships in and start making connections that will make it easier to get a job after graduation. All three schools can help you find good internships in the summer, but American has the advantage of letting you intern in DC during the semesters as well :) 

18 hours ago, somewhatslightlydazed said:

Congrats! Those are all great schools, and if any of them has given you substantially more funding, I'd weigh that heavily. But specifically in terms of internships, it seems like American SIS would be your best option because there are so many nonprofits, think tanks, and government offices in DC that you can find internships in and start making connections that will make it easier to get a job after graduation. All three schools can help you find good internships in the summer, but American has the advantage of letting you intern in DC during the semesters as well :) 

Thank you for responding to my notes. I'm still waiting for funding decisions from those schools (haven't heard yet) and also waiting for decision/reject letters from other schools in DC. To be honest, 1st choice in my mind is American SIS considering the location,  but I have seen several American citizen/international friends who were having difficulties to find internship and Job after several months up to near 1 year from their graduation from SIS. I cannot find any strengths of SIS except their location, Washington D.C. What are their own program and course-related strengths better than other schools in DC?  

Also, any thoughts on UCSD will be appreciated. I think their much more affordable tuition is one of their competitiveness. However, their programs look similar to other schools too...Are they strong enough to be compared to schools in the East Coast? Thanks again. 

Just adding my 2 cents here... not a lot of notifications yet. 

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MALD, MAIA, MIA, MPP, MSc IR
Schools Applied To:  Tufts Fletcher, London School of Economics, Columbia SIPA, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Harvard HKS, Georgetown SSP, 
Schools Admitted To:  Tufts in the early decision December notification, with 25% funding. 
Schools Rejected From:  first choice program at LSE, the MSc in IR... still awaiting the ISPP decision. 
Still Waiting:  Harvard, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown
Undergraduate institution:  Colby College
Undergraduate GPA:  3.76
Undergraduate Major: Global Studies
GRE Quantitative Score:  154 (oops)
GRE Verbal Score:  168
GRE AW Score:  5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2
Years of Work Experience:  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Non-profit internships, strong volunteer experience, and two years working in intl marketing
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Strong.. worked on it for months, had a 'stand-out' moment that relates to my interest in comparative human rights policy between the US and Palestine, have clear career goals etc. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  One very strong recommendation from my former advisor, one possibly less personal one from a well-known professor in the field, and a third strong one from a former supervisor from my job in marketing who worked on some senior level projects with me. 
Other: Just waiting to see how it all turns out !

Edited by acb4595

Hello! Notifications are rolling in, so thought I would provide my stats for some use down the road. I know everyone's submissions have been really helpful to me so I hope this will be helpful to others in the future. 

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIA/IR/MPP/MAs in IR/MALD
Schools Applied 
To: Johns Hopkins SAIS, Columbia SIPA, Tufts Fletcher, University of Chicago CIR, Stanford Ford-Dorsey, Yale Jackson, Harvard Kennedy, Princeton WWS, Georgetown MSFS.
Schools Admitted To: Johns Hopkins SAIS (early, half funding), Columbia SIPA (early, a little over 2/3rds funding), Tufts Fletcher (early, half funding), University of Chicago CIR (2/3rds funding), Stanford Ford-Dorsey (this program doesn't offer funding at all).
Schools Rejected From:  None yet, but I am expecting waitlists/rejections from a few.
Still Waiting: Harvard, Princeton, Georgetown, Yale
Undergraduate institution: McGill University
Undergraduate GPA: 3.81/4.0
Undergraduate Major: Double honors major in International Development and Russian Studies
GRE Quantitative Score: 161
GRE Verbal Score: 169
GRE AW Score: 5.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4 years
Years of Work Experience: 4 years since college, 2 years of internships in college
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Government affairs/policy and federal consulting

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I went really specific on what I wanted to study and linked my undergraduate research to the work I want to do in grad school (Russian identity politics and their influence on strategic international relations goals). I tried to link specific classes to each essay and identify why I thought the school's curriculum would be useful for me or where it could augment some of my weaknesses/knowledge gaps. I also discussed why I am looking to move back into IR policy specifically, as opposed to staying in general government affairs. These took me a long time, to be honest. I had to work really hard to make sure they were tight and concise, especially the schools that required policy memos (SAIS and WWS- wrote about nuclear export treaties). I had the hardest time with Columbia's-- describing my commitment to public service in 200 words was really difficult without leaning on cliches. My favorite essay to write was definitely Fletcher's essay on where you're from. I had friends and family read these over before I submitted, but other than that and my own editing, I didn't have  a ton of other reviewers. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I used two academic references where applicable (I wrote two undergrad theses, and the profs both supervised a thesis). I also used my former boss as a LOR. I think two letters were very strong (one prof and former boss) and one I am not sure about (second prof). Everyone was very willing to write me a recommendation and I provided each of them my transcripts, resumes, and a "cheat sheet" of schools I was applying to with deadlines and why I was applying to each school, what I thought they could highlight about me in each school's recommendation, and what the schools were specifically looking for from the recommendation. I think this ended up being pretty useful to my recommenders. 

Other: I have proficiency in French and Russian, and one of my internships in undergrad was with the State Department. I talked a lot about my eventual goals of foreign service. I also did interviews wherever available (Tufts, SAIS), which I think helped. 

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP
Schools Applied 
To: USC Price, UT Austin LBJ, Berkeley Goldman, Georgetown McCourt, GWU Trachtenberg
Schools Admitted To: USC Price (full tuition), Austin LBJ (full tuition + 19k stipend), Georgetown McCourt (25k renewable), GWU Trachtenberg  (22k renewable)
Schools Rejected From:  None yet
Still Waiting: Berkeley
Undergraduate institution: Swarthmore College
Undergraduate GPA: 3.77/4.0
Undergraduate Major: Sociology/Anthropology & Educational Studies
GRE Quantitative Score: 155
GRE Verbal Score: 169
GRE AW Score: 5.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5 years
Years of Work Experience: 2.5 years
Describe Relevant Work Experience: 2 years in child welfare research

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): . Writing is a strength of mine so I was fairly confident even though I started about 2 weeks ahead of time. I linked my background (low income Latina) to my work experience (child welfare) to my future goals (ensuring immigrant children, particularly those going through systems, are supported and safe). I had one reviewer, a friend in an MPP program.  I think it turned out great
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I assume at least 2 were very strong and one could be good or very strong as well. Used a prof who I worked with a lot back in the day, my old work supervisor who really believed in me and had just finished a masters in policy, and a higher-ranking colleague at my work who was recently promoted to "director of policy provided each of them my transcripts, resumes, and a "cheat sheet" of schools I was applying to with deadlines.

Other: I was very worried because I've never really taken an econ, stats, or policy/politics course in college, and my quant score was only about 50th something percentile. I also add well to the diversity mix - low income, first gen, immigrant latina

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): Global Affairs
Schools Applied 
To: Yale Jackson, Notre Dame Keough (International Peace Studies), University of San Diego Kroc School (Peace and Justice)
Schools Admitted To: Notre Dame (full tuition + 18k stipend), San Diego ($$), Yale (no word on funding yet, but pretty hopeful for tuition+stipend considering their funding record and my application for a Coverdell Fellowship
Schools Rejected From:  None
Still Waiting: None
Undergraduate institution: Big state school
Undergraduate GPA: 4.0
Undergraduate Major: History, Middle Eastern Studies
GRE Verbal Score: 168
GRE AW Score: 5.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4years
Years of Work Experience: 4 years
Describe Relevant Work Experience: 2 years as a Peace Corps Volunteer, 1 year as Fulbright ETA, a few months at an intercultural education nonprofit. Also internships with a US Senator and at the UN in undergrad

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): . I was more worried about this as time went by following submission. I think I showcased my academic strengths and interests (identity politics, the role of ethnic/national identity in conflict) well, though I wasn’t extremely specific about career goals. I only had one person look over it, and she didn’t provide a massive amount of feedback, but I think it was pretty well-written and played to my strengths. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I had one letter from my supervising manager in Peace Corps, one from a professor with whom I took a seminar (she nominated the research paper I wrote for that class for an award, which I subsequently won), and the director of a fellowship I had in undergrad. While my LOR writers perhaps weren’t as big of names as others, they all know me well and were (I think) enthusiastic about my ability to succeed at each of my schools, so I think they were a big benefit 

Other: I thought I was a reach at Notre Dame and had no chance at Yale, so I’m absolutely delighted. I had no background in econ/stats (unless you count AP statistics in high school, which I would assume they did not), though I guess my decent quant score probably assuaged some doubts. I also felt I wasn’t specific enough about my career goals in my SOP. However, between interesting international experiences (about 2 years spent in each Georgia and Turkey with a wide variety of activity in each), good stats, enthusiastic LOR writers, and a real interest in a certain topic which is available at both Notre Dame and Yale were enough to get me over the line.

Decision: provided I receive similar funding that I did at Notre Dame, which I will know in the next week, it has to be Yale Jackson. Unlike others, because of my lack of background in certain aspects of the field, I was not really motivated by the flexibility of the program and was actually excited to have a slightly more rigid curriculum. However, Yale is impossible to turn down due to the brilliance of the other students in the program, the location (near to NYC for internships, also close to my family and girlfriend), and the access to amazing professors and practitioners. 

Updated with my first rejection. So glad I got a few acceptances before my first rejection, otherwise I'd be in a much worse mental place. GWU was below in my preferences than my acceptances in any case.

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.) MPP; MPAff.
Schools Applied To:  Harvard (Kennedy, MPP); UC Berkeley (Goldman, MPP); USC (Price, MPP); UT-Austin (LBJ, MPAff); UCLA (Luskin, MPP); George Washington (Trachtenberg, MPP); The New School (Milano, MPP).
Schools Admitted To:  USC (with half-tuition); UT-Austin; The New School (with 75% tuition).
Schools Rejected From:  George Washington (Trachtenberg, MPP).
Still Waiting:  Harvard (Kennedy, MPP); UC Berkeley (Goldman, MPP); UCLA (Luskin, MPP).
Undergraduate institution:  The New School.
Undergraduate GPA:  3.96
Undergraduate Major:  Liberal Arts.
GRE Quantitative Score:  148
GRE Verbal Score:  161
GRE AW Score:  4.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): None, I graduate in May.
Years of Work Experience:  10
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Worked in state and federal politics and government in Australia from 2006-2013; worked in U.S. union movement 2015-2017.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very strong, I feel this and my LORs really anchored my applications. Good personal narrative regarding my difficult upbringing which I was able to link to the work I've done professionally and my future policy ambitions. I think being able to articulate how the school your applying to is the missing link in the chain between what you've done and what you want to do is the #1 goal of a SOP, and was my top priority.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very strong. Current Australian member of the House of Representatives and former Attorney-General who I worked closely for as an aide for a few years; two professors who I got As with in graduate level classes when I returned to finish my undergrad.
Other: I'm probably not a traditional applicant, which has its advantages and disadvantages. I did poorly when I first went to university back in Australia (Journalism, RMIT) in the mid-2000s, but had a successful career and have crushed my studies since going back to finish my undergrad - mostly doing grad level classes.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, homesicksub said:

Schools Applied
To: Georgetown University, George Washington University, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Columbia University, New York University, Tufts University, University of Tokyo
Schools Admitted To:  George Washington University (M.A. International Affairs, M.A. Asian Studies), New York University (M.A. International Relations), the University of Tokyo (MPP), Tufts Fletcher School (MALD), Columbia University (M.A. Regional Studies: East Asia)
Schools Rejected From:
 Georgetown MSFS (not surprised at all)
Still Waiting: Georgetown University (MA Asian Studies), Johns Hopkins SAIS, Columbia University SIPA (MIA, expecting a rejection) 
Undergraduate institution: Medium-sized New England liberal arts school, well-known (I think, at least in academia)
Years of Work Experience: 1 year since graduation, about 3 years cumulative since my first year of college

Hi all! Just updating. Got an email from an MSFS admissions officer this morning. I unfortunately didn’t get into the program, but I’m not surprised at all  - I’m only a year out of undergrad and don’t have a lot of experience in the field. Hope some of you people got in! If so, congrats!

At the moment, I’m likely to go with Columbia’s Asian Studies program, as it is fully-funded.

EDIT: I’m not seeing any other updates on the front page. Has anyone else heard from the program, regardless of the result? They may be sending out rejections on a rolling basis ? Admissions said to expect an official letter by the week of the 18th, by the way.

Edited by homesicksub

Program Applied To: MA in Security Studies
Schools Applied To: Georgetown, GWU
Schools Admitted To:  GWU
Schools Rejected From: 
Still Waiting: 
Georgetown
Undergraduate institution:  Service Academy
Undergraduate GPA:  3.8
Undergraduate Major: 
Engineering
GRE Quantitative Score:  161
GRE Verbal Score:  160
GRE AW Score:  5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  7
Years of Work Experience:  6
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Military service, general staff operational planning, 2 years of work overseas directly engaging foreign military and government
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  SOP strong due to experience
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  High ranking military officers with PhDs and chair of a major university academic dept (former professor)
Other: Will use GI Bill for nearly 100% funding with some housing stipend. Waiting to hear back from Georgetown SSP, which is obviously my first choice.

Program Applied To: MPP, MSPPM (Heinz)
Schools Applied To: Georgetown (McCourt - MPP), GWU (Trachtenberg - MPP), Carnegie Mellon (Heinz - MSPPM), Harvard (HKS- MPP), American (SPA - MPP), University of Chicago (Harris - MPP), Duke (Sanford - MPP)
Schools Admitted To:  Georgetown ($$), GWU ($0), Heinz ($$$), American ($$$), Harris ($$), Sanford ($$$)
Schools Rejected From:
Still Waiting:  HKS
Undergraduate institution: Medium State School 
Undergraduate GPA:  3.6
Undergraduate Major:  
Economics / Political Science
GRE Quantitative Score:  153
GRE Verbal Score:  161
GRE AW Score:  4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3
Years of Work Experience:  3
Describe Relevant Work Experience:   Have worked in data science for the past 3 years. In undergrad, I had a ton of work experience including student body president, chair of a statewide student association, research assistant, intern at the state capitol, campaign field representative, research analyst at a newspaper, and legal analyst at a state organization. 
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):   Strong - I was able to highlight how my quantitative experience combined with my policy and political experience would allow me to provide a unique perspective. I spent about two months writing each SOP to make sure that I could tie in my comments to each school in a specific and genuine way. (There was overlap in this time (i.e. writing two SOPs at once) but I made sure to start writing each SOP 2 months before the deadline). I also had friends and professors review and provide comments. Think early on about who might help you in this process, not just LOR writers but also who might review your SOP, additional essays, and resume / CV. I reached out to people to review my SOP about a month before it was due so I had to make sure it was finished early. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Strong - University President (I sat on the hiring committee while in undergrad), former professor and Department Chair (research advisor), and a former colleague who could speak to several of my legislative / lobbying / student government achievements. I was nervous to reach out to some of my LOR authors at first, especially since I applied to so many schools. I made a comprehensive list of each school, what they were looking for in an LOR, why I wanted to be in that program, and when the LOR was due. I also provided the resume I was submitting and a blurb on why I wanted an MPP overall. Everyone was more than happy to help and wrote very strong letters. I also gave 3-5 months notice (depending on the school) which I think was appreciated and helpful. It's never to early to ask for a LOR and then remind them later if you need to. I also sent flowers / nice wine to thank each LOR writer. 
Other: 

3 hours ago, lolo94 said:

Program Applied To: MPP, MSPPM (Heinz)
Schools Applied To: Georgetown (McCourt - MPP), GWU (Trachtenberg - MPP), Carnegie Mellon (Heinz - MSPPM), Harvard (HKS- MPP), American (SPA - MPP), University of Chicago (Harris - MPP), Duke (Sanford - MPP)
Schools Admitted To:  Georgetown ($$), GWU ($0), Heinz ($$$), American ($$$), Harris ($$), Sanford ($$$)
Schools Rejected From:
Still Waiting:  HKS
Undergraduate institution: Medium State School 
Undergraduate GPA:  3.6
Undergraduate Major:  
Economics / Political Science
GRE Quantitative Score:  153
GRE Verbal Score:  161
GRE AW Score:  4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3
Years of Work Experience:  3
Describe Relevant Work Experience:   Have worked in data science for the past 3 years. In undergrad, I had a ton of work experience including student body president, chair of a statewide student association, research assistant, intern at the state capitol, campaign field representative, research analyst at a newspaper, and legal analyst at a state organization. 
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):   Strong - I was able to highlight how my quantitative experience combined with my policy and political experience would allow me to provide a unique perspective. I spent about two months writing each SOP to make sure that I could tie in my comments to each school in a specific and genuine way. (There was overlap in this time (i.e. writing two SOPs at once) but I made sure to start writing each SOP 2 months before the deadline). I also had friends and professors review and provide comments. Think early on about who might help you in this process, not just LOR writers but also who might review your SOP, additional essays, and resume / CV. I reached out to people to review my SOP about a month before it was due so I had to make sure it was finished early. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Strong - University President (I sat on the hiring committee while in undergrad), former professor and Department Chair (research advisor), and a former colleague who could speak to several of my legislative / lobbying / student government achievements. I was nervous to reach out to some of my LOR authors at first, especially since I applied to so many schools. I made a comprehensive list of each school, what they were looking for in an LOR, why I wanted to be in that program, and when the LOR was due. I also provided the resume I was submitting and a blurb on why I wanted an MPP overall. Everyone was more than happy to help and wrote very strong letters. I also gave 3-5 months notice (depending on the school) which I think was appreciated and helpful. It's never to early to ask for a LOR and then remind them later if you need to. I also sent flowers / nice wine to thank each LOR writer. 
Other: 

What are your thoughts on American's program? Admitted for MPA, and trying to learn more about them

9 hours ago, BK297 said:

What are your thoughts on American's program? Admitted for MPA, and trying to learn more about them

American's DC location makes it a great program. I've been working in DOD/Government/Foreign affairs sector for over 7 years now and everything is in DC. The location gives you access to events and opportunities that will help you tremendously in your career. Other schools are impressive too but being in DC gives you the ultimate advantage in creating your own career path.

After your first job nobody cares about your school. Sure alumni connections are always helpful but in general it's all your networking and connections.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:11 PM, BK297 said:

I was initially interested in American primarily because of its location in D.C. The benefit of location can outweigh the school depending on your short and long term goals. I went to a smaller undergraduate institution to be closer to my state's capital and don't regret it. However, I am leaning away from American now and towards Heinz and Harris because I want my graduate education to be quantitatively rigorous. 

On 3/9/2019 at 10:10 AM, homesicksub said:

Schools Applied
Schools Admitted To:  George Washington University (M.A. International Affairs, M.A. Asian Studies), New York University (M.A. International Relations), the University of Tokyo (MPP), Tufts Fletcher School (MALD), Columbia University (M.A. Regional Studies: East Asia), 
Georgetown University (MA Asian Studies), Columbia University SIPA (MIA
Schools Rejected From: Georgetown MSFS
Still Waiting: Johns Hopkins SAIS
Undergraduate institution: Medium-sized New England liberal arts school, well-known (I think, at least in academia)

Updating, just waiting on SAIS now. Really torn on my options – probably gonna be a decision between Columbia SIPA’s MIA, Columbia’s M.A. Asian Studies, and Georgetown’s M.A. Asian Studies. Something to think about until April 15th!

Edited by homesicksub

This website really helped me out- leaving my stats here so they can hopefully help a few more in the future :")

Program/Schools Applied To: Cornell MPA, Penn MSSP, Brown MPA, Pepperdine MPP, Columbia MPA-ESP, Johns Hopkins MS-ESP

Schools Admitted To: Columbia (12% tuition), Cornell (50% tuition), Pepperdine (40% tuition), Penn, JHU

Schools Rejected From: None

Still Waiting: Brown

Undergrad Institution: Large non-flagship state school, ~200th in USNWR

Undergrad GPA: 3.64

Undergrad Major: Political Science

GRE Quantitative Score: 150

GRE Verbal Score: 154

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years out of Undergrad: 0, graduating in May

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Lengthy internship with state-wide political party, internship with a national environmental organization, internship on Capitol Hill, volunteering with local environmental group.
Other: Student-athlete, club co-founder, wrote for school newspaper.

With the exception of SIPA, I know the schools I applied to aren't traditionally thought of as Public Admin/Policy powerhouses, but I am thrilled at how things turned out. Especially given my GRE, undergrad institution, coming straight from UG... so basically everything ? I decided to pass up Columbia ($$, family, not a NYC fan), Pepperdine (accepted to better programs), and Brown, pending a funding miracle. I'm leaning toward Cornell, but I still have a few weeks in which things could change.

Edited by lunarphase
Consolidated schools/programs and edited for clarity.