2019 Results

cefran

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, Master of Arts in Public Management (JHU)
Schools Applied To: American University (SPA), Johns Hopkins University, University of Colorado Denver 
Schools Admitted To:  American, Hopkins, CU Denver
Undergraduate GPA:  3.51
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):  
Undergraduate Major: Vocal Performance
GRE Quantitative Score:  158
GRE Verbal Score:  156
GRE AW Score:  5.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2
Years of Work Experience:  4
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Internships with a state senator and with a nonprofit that focuses on vote accessibility/ engagement; 1 year of campaign experience; multiple years in private sector.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Well, I wrote 19 drafts of the SOP, and I finally was happy with it in the end--it's very strong, and has clearly worked so far. Full disclosure: I live with an ex-professor who sat on an admissions committee for ten years and she worked with me until the very end of the final draft giving feedback.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very strong. Three of these programs required two letters, which I got from my state house rep that I'm close with and from my undergraduate opera director, who oversaw my progress through four years of performances and vocal trainings. My third (for CU) comes from my current boss, who is a CU professor. They admitted me within 18 hours of my final letter getting through.
Other: Went to American's top prospect day, and they offered a really lovely weekend of informational sessions and meet and greets.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:21 PM, bac said:

This feels like therapy. Here goes (and I'll edit as they keep coming in):

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.) MPP; MPAff.
Schools Applied To:  Harvard (Kennedy, MPP); UC Berkeley (Goldman, MPP); USC (Price, MPP); UT-Austin (LBJ, MPAff); UCLA (Luskin, MPP); George Washington (Trachtenberg, MPP); The New School (Milano, MPP).
Schools Admitted To:  USC (with half-tuition); UT-Austin; The New School (with 75% tuition).
Schools Rejected From:  None yet.
Still Waiting:  Harvard (Kennedy, MPP); UC Berkeley (Goldman, MPP); UCLA (Luskin, MPP); George Washington (Trachtenberg, MPP).
Undergraduate institution:  The New School.
Undergraduate GPA:  3.96
Undergraduate Major:  Liberal Arts.
GRE Quantitative Score:  148
GRE Verbal Score:  161
GRE AW Score:  4.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): None, I graduate in May.
Years of Work Experience:  10
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Worked in state and federal politics and government in Australia from 2006-2013; worked in U.S. union movement 2015-2017.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very strong, I feel this and my LORs really anchored my applications. Good personal narrative regarding my difficult upbringing which I was able to link to the work I've done professionally and my future policy ambitions. I think being able to articulate how the school your applying to is the missing link in the chain between what you've done and what you want to do is the #1 goal of a SOP, and was my top priority.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very strong. Current Australian member of the House of Representatives and former Attorney-General who I worked closely for as an aide for a few years; two professors who I got As with in graduate level classes when I returned to finish my undergrad.
Other: I'm probably not a traditional applicant, which has its advantages and disadvantages. I did poorly when I first went to university back in Australia (Journalism, RMIT) in the mid-2000s, but had a successful career and have crushed my studies since going back to finish my undergrad - mostly doing grad level classes.

Updated with latest admissions decision - The New School.

Based on previous years: GWU could be any moment, UCLA/Berkeley likely to be the same time in early March, and Harvard sometime around March 13/14.

2 hours ago, bac said:

Updated with latest admissions decision - The New School.

Based on previous years: GWU could be any moment, UCLA/Berkeley likely to be the same time in early March, and Harvard sometime around March 13/14.

Got a call from GW Elliott this afternoon letting me know I was admitted, so hopefully that means that Trachtenberg isn't far behind!

37 minutes ago, somewhatslightlydazed said:

Got a call from GW Elliott this afternoon letting me know I was admitted, so hopefully that means that Trachtenberg isn't far behind!

Congrats! I got the same news via email yesterday from a POI. I saw on the first page that you have a great selection of acceptances - if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your top choice at the moment? We applied to a lot of the same programs it seems.

Edited by homesicksub

1 hour ago, homesicksub said:

Congrats! I got the same news via email yesterday from a POI. I saw on the first page that you have a great selection of acceptances - if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your top choice at the moment? We applied to a lot of the same programs it seems.

Thanks, and congrats yourself! Does seem like we're applying to most of the same schools. My top choice right now is SAIS (mostly because I really want to live in Bologna for a year, plus they've given me the most aid so far), but depending on scholarships I'm also seriously considering SIPA, Fletcher, and Georgetown. How about you?

Hi all! This is a wonderful find! I will update as I hear results...

Program Applied To:  MPP,  MPA (considering applying for a dual JD in my first year)
Schools Applied To:  Ford (UMich) - MPP , Sanford (Duke) - MPP , Trachtenberg (GWU) - MPP, SPEA (Indiana) - MPA, JGCPA (Ohio) - MPA, University of Central Florida - MPA
Schools Admitted To: UCF, SPEA, JGCPA
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting: 
Ford, Sanford, Trachtenberg
Undergraduate institution:  NYU
Undergraduate GPA:  3.7
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate: 3.9
Undergraduate Major:  BFA Drama
GRE Quantitative Score:  156 (SPEA acceptance included a mandatory "math camp" if I choose to attend...warranted!)
GRE Verbal Score:  162
GRE AW Score:  5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  5
Years of Work Experience:  5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  3+ years of nonprofit experience in both theatre (education and directing) and international health care/development (my current job). 1.5 years in accounting for a tech company. Volunteer involvement with local racial justice and political organizations.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I mostly talked about my evolution from theatre to public service. I entered college believing I could best promote racial equity through art but slowly began to identify that my skills –and desire for quantifiable change – are better suited for a career in policy advocacy. My mom (a lawyer) and my cousin (a nonprofit researcher) edited for clarity; my background in creative writing made me thesis a little wayward. I also received feedback from my recommenders about how to include personal struggles in a way which felt appropriate and supported my argument.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I had one rec from NYU (my thesis adviser and current Drama Studies chair), 1 from a past employer and 1 from my current employer. I am very close to my employers, but had to reconnect with my old professor. They were all extremely helpful and I barely had to remind them to submit.
Other: My biggest weaknesses are my mediocre math skills and my undergrad major. I took American government, microecon and stats after college to help strengthen my application, but the jury is still out whether this will help me with the more competitive programs. Also, I am not sure if this is relevant for anyone, but I refused to apply to HKS and Goldman. HKS because I had a lousy experience talking to their admissions department. After I got off the phone I thought, “Well that confirmed every Harvard stereotype I have!” Goldman because I started the application and realized they wanted my first born child (information-wise) and I simply couldn’t find the time between the other applications, job and volunteer work.

27 minutes ago, somewhatslightlydazed said:

Thanks, and congrats yourself! Does seem like we're applying to most of the same schools. My top choice right now is SAIS (mostly because I really want to live in Bologna for a year, plus they've given me the most aid so far), but depending on scholarships I'm also seriously considering SIPA, Fletcher, and Georgetown. How about you?

Oh, funnily enough, I applied to SAIS' international program in China (1 year there and 1 in DC). I'm sure their international offerings would be a great experience for both of us!

I think MSFS is my top choice, just because it checks all the boxes for the master's program I want: it's a well-known program in DC with strong academics and networking opportunities, and I just personally feel at home on their campus (my undergrad was a Jesuit college with almost the same exact campus environment). That being said, it's also probably the toughest of mine to get into. If I can get into MSFS, SIPA, or SAIS I would be beyond excited.

I too applied to Fletcher, but I am a little hesitant to get excited about it despite its academic credibility. I've been in Boston my whole life, and I'm just not sure what I could do to build up a network down in DC when spending most of my time in Massachusetts. They do say their alumni network is strong, but to be honest I'm not sure what career outcomes that can actually lead to. I hope I'm wrong though – would be interested to get your thoughts on the advantages of Tufts vs. the other programs you mentioned as serious considerations. 

Edited by homesicksub

On 2/26/2019 at 6:07 PM, cefran said:

I applied to Trachtenberg too and have yet to hear anything. It's much later than last year's decisions, too. Fingers crossed for something this week!

I know! It's been so stressful waiting for it; heard back from the rest of my schools by mid-February. Wishing you the best of luck!

Edit: I did email the woman who I've been working with, and this was the response:

"Thank you for your email and seeking clarification. I rechecked your application. It is still under review. Unfortunately, I do not know how much sooner it will be before you will receive a decision. Typically, it takes about four to six weeks from the time that your application is completed. However, the circumstances were a little different this term where the Admissions Office wanted to wait until after the January 15 deadline to allow more applicants to submit their applications first, and there has been some campus closing due to weather. All of which has delayed the admission determination. The Admissions committee are looking at both admissions and possible departmental funding opportunities, so they want to ensure they are exploring all opportunities. When the decision will be given, you will hear both admissions and funding, if it is offered. 

I do not anticipate too much longer. Unfortunately, I do not know how much sooner it will be, though. Thank you for your patience."

Hopefully all the GW folks will hear back soon!

Edited by succulentdad

Congrats to folks on their successful applications!

Has anyone heard back RE: funding from SPA at American University?  I've been accepted and attended a Top Prospects Event, but haven't heard anything about a merit funding package.  (They seemed to imply the emails would start last week but I haven't received anything- which could of course simply mean that I didn't receive any). 

1 hour ago, BroadwayBetty said:

Has anyone heard back RE: funding from SPA at American University?  I've been accepted and attended a Top Prospects Event, but haven't heard anything about a merit funding package.  (They seemed to imply the emails would start last week but I haven't received anything- which could of course simply mean that I didn't receive any). 

Congrats! We must have been at the same event. I believe Jennifer said that we would be receiving notice of our funding in the first half of March (she said something about giving students a month to decide). 

8 minutes ago, succulentdad said:

Congrats! We must have been at the same event. I believe Jennifer said that we would be receiving notice of our funding in the first half of March (she said something about giving students a month to decide). 

Thanks succulentdad.  I maybe mixed up the dates.  And we did- I remember a voice major introducing themselves :)  Best of luck.  

3 hours ago, iamemily03 said:

To those who have received admission and scholarship money from USC Price, I'd love to hear about your perceptions of the program and intentions to attend.  I received a full tuition scholarship and would love to connect with others who are considering the program.

I have them a smidge below Harvard and Berkeley in my priority list, and probably a smidge above UT-Austin, but the half tuition offer might propel the above Berkeley if I got an offer there without funding.

I did an LA/Berkeley/Austin west coast trip last March and both USC and UT went up in my estimation after the visits, while Luskin probably dipped a little. When I visited the Price School I sat in on a class, and was very impressed. It's a stunning campus, the students were thoughtful and diverse, and I like the idea of perhaps doing a double MPP/MUP degree after my first MPP year. 

Not for nothing, I have also found them the most professional grad school to deal with in terms of organizing a visit and with their communication post-offer. That gives me a lot of confidence that they are well run and there are less likely to be admin snafus.

But please, go somewhere else so perhaps your full tuition offer gets passed on to me!

4 hours ago, BroadwayBetty said:

Congrats to folks on their successful applications!

I don't know what a Top Prospects event is, but maybe it was a thing I didn't pay attention to because I live overseas. I just got a merit offer for about 2/3 tuition, so I hope they'll be rolling out some good news for y'all soon!

I happened to log into my GW Portal last night, and my admissions letter was available (dated 2/28)! Admitted to Trachtenberg MPA with merit funding; amount to be specified via email at a later date. 

Edited by Amelia75

I received an email last night from GW to check the portal, and I was admitted with merit funding!! There will be a separate email with detailed funding information coming "shortly". I'm 3 for 3 now at UMD, AU, and GW. Just waiting to hear from AU on funding. :D

I'll post a more detailed response once I have everything in!

@succulentdad and @BroadwayBetty, I was at the Top Prospect Day too! In Jennifer's email follow up, it said "late next week", which would have been late last week. We had a weather closure in DC last week, though, so that may have thrown things off.

Edited by cefran

4 hours ago, cefran said:

I received an email last night from GW to check the portal, and I was admitted with merit funding!! There will be a separate email with detailed funding information coming "shortly". I'm 3 for 3 now at UMD, AU, and GW. Just waiting to hear from AU on funding. :D

I'll post a more detailed response once I have everything in!

@succulentdad and @BroadwayBetty, I was at the Top Prospect Day too! In Jennifer's email follow up, it said "late next week", which would have been late last week. We had a weather closure in DC last week, though, so that may have thrown things off.

Congratulations!! That's wonderful to hear. 

Sounds like we should all be hearing from AU soon, then! 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:30 AM, homesicksub said:

Hi everyone,  just joined the forum. I applied back in January, and I expect to hear from all of my schools from now until around March 15.

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIA/IR/MPP
Schools Applied
To: Georgetown University, George Washington University, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Columbia University, New York University, Tufts University, University of Tokyo
Schools Admitted To:  George Washington University (M.A. International Affairs), New York University (M.A. International Relations)
Schools Rejected From:  None yet, but it's still very early. I don't expect to get into the MSFS program at Georgetown and the MIA program at Columbia SIPA given a lack of professional experience in the IR field. The rest are probably 50/50 odds if I had to guess.
Still Waiting: Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Columbia University, Tufts University (Fletcher School), University of Tokyo
Undergraduate institution: Medium-sized New England liberal arts school, well-known (I think, at least in academia)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.79/4.0
Undergraduate Major: Political Science and Asian Studies
GRE Quantitative Score: 162
GRE Verbal Score: 167
GRE AW Score: 6.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1 year
Years of Work Experience: 1 year since graduation, about 3 years cumulative since my first year of college
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Legal industry and ESL teaching

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Took a while to get it right, but with the help of professors and advisors, I think I did the best I could in spite of a lack of relevant work experience. Still, I think I got the point across in my statement: identified academic background and goals, how my professional experience tangentially relates to the field of international policy, reasons for studying at University XYZ, and career goals in public service.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Most programs required 3 letters. 2 of my references were from professors still teaching at my undergrad, who I was particularly close with, one being my academic advisor. The third was a former professor who went on to work in academic administration, but her and I are also very close. They've recommended me in the past for other opportunities, and I think they've done a good job for these grad schools, given the positive results so far. One professor was particularly hard to manage, I really had to stay on top of him to make sure he got letters in on time.

Other: I also applied to a Fulbright grant. I'm a current semi-finalist, and if I get that, I'll absolutely do that before grad school. Not only would it be a great life experience, but it would also enhance my application the next time around and possibly make me more desirable to tougher programs at Columbia SIPA or Georgetown's School of Foreign Service.

Did you get into Tokyo? If so, are you going?

22 minutes ago, theoryofnothing said:

Did you get into Tokyo? If so, are you going?

Yes, I did! Did you apply? If so, congrats on being the first person I’ve met who did.

I’m a little torn on whether I’ll be going. While being in Tokyo at such a great school for two years would be an incredible experience, I’m worried that building a robust network in the sphere of U.S. government and policy will be difficult in Japan, especially when compared to programs in DC or NYC.

EDIT: I applied to the Public Policy program, by the way

Edited by homesicksub

31 minutes ago, homesicksub said:

Yes, I did! Did you apply? If so, congrats on being the first person I’ve met who did.

I’m a little torn on whether I’ll be going. While being in Tokyo at such a great school for two years would be an incredible experience, I’m worried that building a robust network in the sphere of U.S. government and policy will be difficult in Japan, especially when compared to programs in DC or NYC.

EDIT: I applied to the Public Policy program, by the way

Yup, I also got into the same program! 

Ah, I see. Can't argue with that, I guess, if that's your case. I'm an international student, and Tokyo is the first one on my list. 

Btw, did they ask you to apply for the MEXT scholarship?

6 minutes ago, theoryofnothing said:

Yup, I also got into the same program! 

Ah, I see. Can't argue with that, I guess, if that's your case. I'm an international student, and Tokyo is the first one on my list. 

Btw, did they ask you to apply for the MEXT scholarship?

Congrats! I’m happy you’re able to lock in your top choice so early.

Yeah, just given my career interests, it’s hard to argue the case for Tokyo over DC. That said, I am far from making a final decision, and I would love to spend time in Japan. Tokyo is a beautiful city and I wish I had all the time in the world to be there!

And I never looked into MEXT, but perhaps I should have - did you?

Can we also talk about how strange the application process was for MPP? I thought the portal was oddly designed, and some of their deadlines (like giving you a week to send in official documents or requiring recommenders to submit letters before you can submit the application) were strange.  Maybe I’m just spoiled as an American applying to all American schools otherwise...