Duke English PhD F19 Interview/Rejection

Medievalist here. 

Just saw someone got an interview invitation. I am just wondering if not getting an interview means anything significant for Duke English (like.. rejection?)? Seriously panicking and screaming internally...

Edited by GawainLeigh

for everyone panicking, i emailed the dgs to clarify if they're carrying out interviews for this application cycle (because they did so a few years ago) and the answer is no. whomever posted about their invitation to interview on the results page is either mistaken, or trying to mess with us, or there might, perhaps, be special cases that necessitate interviews. otherwise, they "should be able to start notifying people next week". (fingers crossed!) 

9 minutes ago, spectrum-in said:

@flungoutofspace you’re truly my favourite person today! Thanks so much for doing that! 

It's no problem at all! The results post was also nagging on my mind & keeping me from working on all that I'm supposed to be doing anyway, so I thought it would be better if I just clarified things, so I'll have some sense of certainty. (I guess we'll be worrying about the same things again next week, but at least I'm not doing so right now.) 

It just helps so much honestly knowing that it’s next week, though. With gradcafe mishaps and data from last year vs several years ago the entire waiting process is just so draining! Sometimes I wish I’d never discovered gradcafe but then I remembered that I used CollegeConfidential, MFA Draft and the Type-A personality will never leave me, lol

From previous conversations with Duke, I'd also like to add that English and Literature are very-closely affliated with each other. If either receives an application that they think is suitable for the other, they'll forward the application. A few people here have found themselves accepted into the other program as a result.

@spectrum-in i've been trying to get myself to check this site less, but every time i get off it, i wonder if i'll miss out on something important (i'm not even one to experience fomo usually, but this process has just been so nerve-wracking...) 
(on a side note, is your username based on florence and the machine's "spectrum"?) 

2 minutes ago, Warelin said:

From previous conversations with Duke, I'd also like to add that English and Literature are very-closely affliated with each other. If either receives an application that they think is suitable for the other, they'll forward the application. A few people here have found themselves accepted into the other program as a result.

i'd like to believe that's why someone posted the interview invitation on the board, though wouldn't it make more sense if that post came alongside other interview requests for duke lit (since i don't think they've sent out their interview invites yet.) 

1 minute ago, flungoutofspace said:

i'd like to believe that's why someone posted the interview invitation on the board, though wouldn't it make more sense if that post came alongside other interview requests for duke lit (since i don't think they've sent out their interview invites yet.) 

I think there's a possibility that it's an unofficial interview. Most likely leaked by someone's POI as a headsup.

One of my professors accidently asked us in our grad seminar if we had met the new prospective students yet before realizing that Students don't visit (it's an all-expenses paid trip) until the first week of March. As a result, I know decisions have been made but I don't think anyone's been notified yet. It does sound like notifications will go out soon though.

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

One of my professors accidently asked us in our grad seminar if we had met the new prospective students yet before realizing that Students don't visit (it's an all-expenses paid trip) until the first week of March. As a result, I know decisions have been made but I don't think anyone's been notified yet. It does sound like notifications will go out soon though.

if notifications go out next week, as stated in the dgs's reply, i do think that most decisions have already been made. (why can't they just tell us already... the agony of the wait!!) 

Edited by flungoutofspace

22 minutes ago, flungoutofspace said:

if notifications go out next week, as stated in the dgs's reply, i do think that most decisions have already been made. (why can't they just tell us already... the agony of the wait!!) 

I think most universities would love to tell you as soon as they know. I think part of the reason that some delays occur is because the department can only recommend your admission. The Grad School can still opt to reject an applicant (though I'm not sure how often this happens.) I know that there have been a few scenarios at Penn State and Pittsburgh that the program has had to really fight for a candidate because the Grad School and State Laws had some conflicts with the credentials that the applicant had.

4 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

@spectrum-in i've been trying to get myself to check this site less, but every time i get off it, i wonder if i'll miss out on something important (i'm not even one to experience fomo usually, but this process has just been so nerve-wracking...) 
(on a side note, is your username based on florence and the machine's "spectrum"?) 

!!! It is!! One of my favourite songs by her :)

That's wonderful, congratulations to all of you! Was the email a form or were you contacted directly by a POI/interviewer? Wondering when I should stick this one in the implied rejection column ?

Just now, dilby said:

That's wonderful, congratulations to all of you! Was the email a form or were you contacted directly by a POI/interviewer? Wondering when I should stick this one in the implied rejection column ?

Thanks! It was a general email asking for time availability. And I can't say, but I did get mine after you had asked the question originally, and after the first interview posting had gone up. I had initially seen that posting and assumed I wasn't going to get one.

10 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

for everyone panicking, i emailed the dgs to clarify if they're carrying out interviews for this application cycle (because they did so a few years ago) and the answer is no. whomever posted about their invitation to interview on the results page is either mistaken, or trying to mess with us, or there might, perhaps, be special cases that necessitate interviews. otherwise, they "should be able to start notifying people next week". (fingers crossed!) 

Thank you so much! At least I can take some time off before I renew my cycle of panic attacks next Monday haha!

Are you applying for the MSt at Oxford? I was in the programme last year and I really enjoyed it. Glad to see more people joining the cohort!

10 hours ago, GawainLeigh said:

Are you applying for the MSt at Oxford? I was in the programme last year and I really enjoyed it. Glad to see more people joining the cohort!

I am, but for the 1900 - Present stream. 

14 hours ago, spectrum-in said:

!!! It is!! One of my favourite songs by her :)

Ah, I asked because I noticed your u/n right about the same time that Florence dropped her new tracks... Have you heard them?