Recommendations? Teaching Focused Social or Developmental PhD Programs

PsychPhdBound

Question

Hello! I'm working to narrow down my target list of PhD programs (mix of social and developmental) with plans to apply this coming Fall. I've identified a number of professors at various schools (UK, UT Austin, UBC, Cornell, UCSC, UW Madison) conducting research in areas that align with my interests, however my true (long-term) passion is for teaching and I can't figure out how to evaluate programs' commitments to training in that area. I know all schools have some kind of teaching component, but I'd really love to end up at a program that is dedicated to teacher training excellence. I realize that research will always be a big part of any program, and that's totally fine, but I want to come out of my PhD ready to be an amazing teacher (either at Community College or small colleges, I don't need the high profile universities or research tenure positions). 

I would really love to hear any thoughts on this subject. I know I could just go after a Masters and technically get a teaching position, but it seems like it's so competitive now that even at the "lower" levels a PhD is needed, even if not technically required. 

Thanks in advance!!

4 answers to this question

Make sure programs have TA and teaching opportunities for students. I'm not sure many programs will actually have courses in pedagogy or anything, but if you have the opportunity to actually teach while there, then the program usually has some supports in place. 

1 hour ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

Make sure programs have TA and teaching opportunities for students. I'm not sure many programs will actually have courses in pedagogy or anything, but if you have the opportunity to actually teach while there, then the program usually has some supports in place. 

Thanks! I have found a few that seem to have more formal teacher training in place, but (of course) those schools arent the ones that line up with my research interedts

Yeah, it may difficult. I would prioritize research interest/fit and program quality overall, pending the school has teaching opportunities for doctoral students. You can always attend workshops/read pedagogical literature on your own. The academic job market is tough, and even small liberal arts colleges and community colleges prioritize PhD graduated from R1 and R2 institutions. You can more easily do things to supplement lack in teaching, but it is very difficult to supplement research fit.