Travel to visit or video-conference interview?

nushi

Question

hey guys ?

One university I applied to, sent me saying that they found merit in my application, & invite me to take a tour in their university during their Graduate Showcase event, to get to know the program better, & they can interview me too. They say if I can't make it, I should email them to find another way for an interview.

Honestly, the trip would be expensive, I can afford it, but it wouldn't be that much convenient. So, I prefer video-conferencing for an interview.

But I want to ask, would skipping the visit & suggesting video-conference for interview, would that lower my chances to be accepted?

4 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, nushi said:

hey guys ?

One university I applied to, sent me saying that they found merit in my application, & invite me to take a tour in their university during their Graduate Showcase event, to get to know the program better, & they can interview me too. They say if I can't make it, I should email them to find another way for an interview.

Honestly, the trip would be expensive, I can afford it, but it wouldn't be that much convenient. So, I prefer video-conferencing for an interview.

But I want to ask, would skipping the visit & suggesting video-conference for interview, would that lower my chances to be accepted?

I am not sure if it will lower your chances, but I think visiting the school would be a good experience. Seeing the campus will allow you to envision yourself there. You want to like the place where you will be spending 4-5 years at. It sucks that they won't cover the expenses of the trip, though.

However, they seem interested in you, so I don't think video chatting with them instead will lower your chances.

Thank you Moods for your helpful response.

More likely, I may go visit there if I get accepted, I don't know. The bust ticket back & forth is about 130$, & that's too much to spend, especially if I end up not being accepted. I don't know. I'm already studying in another university, & am applying to transfer, because that other university has a research center specialized in a field I'm highly interested in.

1 hour ago, nushi said:

hey guys ?

You definitely need to visit.  Video interviews are fine, but if it is a school you can really see going, visiting is surely the best way to get accepted.  When you visit, you aren't limited to a timeframe like you are with a video call.  Plus, you will get an opportunity to see most of the professors--some of which are on the admissions committee.  Shake hands and leave good impressions.  If it's a school you want, it is worth every penny.  Consider it investing in your future.  Even if you don't get admitted, you know you didn't let something as temporary as money keep you from giving it the best you've got.