What to ask POI in a phone call?

merlinyx

Question

Hi friends, I'm a little anxious about an upcoming call with my POI. I recently got admitted and my POI emailed me saying that she would love to answer any questions I might have/introduce the school more. I really want to have this call as well, but I'm not so sure what kind of questions I should ask. I know she must be very busy so I want to make good use of the time. We had a Skype call before the admission decision and already talked about current projects, her group (she is a new AP and just started recruiting PhD students), my interests, and the city where the school is. Currently I'm thinking of asking about funding (the offer letter says TA/RA already though), and maybe the style of advising? There is a visit coming up for the school too, but I don't know if the funding question/asking about visit days is too much on the logistics side and might not be worth asking, but otherwise I cannot seem to come up with other valid questions. Please advise! Thank you very much!

Edited by merlinyx

4 answers to this question

You could ask about placement after the program. Do they help their students find work etc. Ask how long it typically takes to complete the program. Do most students finish in four years? Five? Unless these are questions you already asked!!

You could ask if they have a current grad student you can reach out to to discuss the logistics of moving to the city your school is in. 

You'll be great! The hard part is over! 

40 minutes ago, lovekilledinos said:

You could ask about placement after the program. Do they help their students find work etc. Ask how long it typically takes to complete the program. Do most students finish in four years? Five? Unless these are questions you already asked!!

You could ask if they have a current grad student you can reach out to to discuss the logistics of moving to the city your school is in. 

You'll be great! The hard part is over! 

Thank you so much! That's very useful advice!

Congrats on your admission!

Maybe you can ask how you can get prepared before you start your study e.g. your experience and your course selection and so on.

Besides, I don't think it is inappropriate to ask about funding unless your funding is clearly specified in your offer letter. I asked every POI I talked with about funding, and most them were happy to answer and gave a clear answer (even I am not admitted yet). For the rest of them, they were being honest with me (I guess) like they can only guarantee 4 years founding and so on.

You mentioned you get admitted so I guess you are still waiting for other decisions? Funding is a quite important factor and you may want to confirm it with your advisor or your department!

7 hours ago, Kiyoshi said:

Congrats on your admission!

Maybe you can ask how you can get prepared before you start your study e.g. your experience and your course selection and so on.

Besides, I don't think it is inappropriate to ask about funding unless your funding is clearly specified in your offer letter. I asked every POI I talked with about funding, and most them were happy to answer and gave a clear answer (even I am not admitted yet). For the rest of them, they were being honest with me (I guess) like they can only guarantee 4 years founding and so on.

You mentioned you get admitted so I guess you are still waiting for other decisions? Funding is a quite important factor and you may want to confirm it with your advisor or your department!

Thank you, that's very helpful :D Yes I'm thinking of asking about how to prepare before I start too! I'm still waiting for other decisions. You are definitely right; the funding differs a lot from school to school. Good luck to the rest of the season!!