Master of Teaching OISE 2019

tngus777

22 hours ago, Pycelle said:

Got the official acceptance letter. Still a bit sour to how this all went down but at the end of the day it is a masters program at Canada's best school. Good luck to everyone else!

Ahhhhh! YES!! congrats I am so happy for you!!! Hopefully I'll see you in september haha! Best of luck with it 

2 hours ago, MM17mm said:

I got waitlisted for all three streams on Wednesday, so heartbroken! Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet by any chance?! 

Hey i am waitlisted too! I've heard that a lot of people who do get waitlisted end up in the program. so dont lose hope! usually they  get back to us by june lol

hi friends, 

i applied to p/j in early january and i was placed on the waitlist today! good luck to those still waiting! :) for those who were not accepted into the program, i hope you get into the program of your choice in the future!

Edited by carnations

I just got waitlisted!! 

I applied last year and got waitlisted at the end of May and never heard back! Hopefully it’s a better sign that I have heard back earlier, but scared the same thing is going to happen! I guess the waiting continues!

@carnations glad we are going through it togeather! :) 

Does anyone know how many are accepted to the MT p/j stream and the approximate size of the waitlist?

On 3/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, NSNSNSNS said:

https://ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RGS_AppStat1_Pre1stPage3.html

does anyone understand this? are these the number of ppl who got in or the number of ppl who applied? 

Also does anyone know how many students they accept for each stream?

@NSNSNSNS did some research (thanks!) and also came across this:

https://ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RGS_AppStat1_PreAllPage3.html

edit: sorry, i misread the question. looking through other forum posts, i believe i saw around 175 spaces for p/j; 150-ish to j/I; and 150-ish to i/s. i will try to find that post again rather than going by memory.

Edited by carnations

11 hours ago, soapyhope said:

Ahhhhh! YES!! congrats I am so happy for you!!! Hopefully I'll see you in september haha! Best of luck with it 

Hey i am waitlisted too! I've heard that a lot of people who do get waitlisted end up in the program. so dont lose hope! usually they  get back to us by june lol

Hi! Where did you hear that? I got waitlisted last year and never got in! Also last year on the 2018 grad cafe forum I never saw someone getting in off the waitlist! I hope what you’re saying in true :) 

hi @CJ3, i was on the prior year's thread for the mt program and apparently 'dreamsofbeingateacher' said:

"I emailed them about being on the wait list and they said the waitlist isnt numbered. So they dont know the chances but they said in the past, the percentage of people being accepted from the waitlist is extremely low. It is very discouraging." ( https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/100324-master-of-teaching-oise-2018/?page=22 ). take from that what you will!

also, not to worry @imstillwaiting! who knows what order they do things! your acceptance may be on the horizon!

8 hours ago, carnations said:

hey @CJ3, I know this is not exactly what you are after, but this was provided by @Jackson8918 last year:

https://ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RGS_CandRegPage2.html

might help us have a better idea!

and sorry, @soapyhope! i am not familiar with the jargon, haha. that is a fun set of teachables! i applied to p/j :) 

Lol thats okay! I'm learning too :) and thats awesome, I hope you get in soon.

2 hours ago, CJ3 said:

Hi! Where did you hear that? I got waitlisted last year and never got in! Also last year on the 2018 grad cafe forum I never saw someone getting in off the waitlist! I hope what you’re saying in true :) 

Just when i emailed the MT people! I got waitlisted way back in february around the time of the first round of applications so I've been obsessively trying to figure out what it means lol. I emailed them and she said that its not uncommon for people on the waitlist to receive offers, though of course, its not guaranteed. I also got to meet a couple of current OISE MT students through my placement at a high school, and they said that people were joining even by like mid-july to august via the waitlist. I cant help but be hopeful!!! 

13 hours ago, carnations said:

that's the spirit, @soapyhope! we will all be hopeful together :) 

thanks for adding some additional information; it gives us all some hope!

6 hours ago, CJ3 said:

@soapyhope that’s amazing news!! Thank you! Makes me feel so much better! :) 

Glad I could help out guys :) hopefully we will hear some good news this summer! I think the people from last year's waitlist on that thread got waitlisted really late -- like in july / end of june -- I think its a good sign we heard pretty early!!

Good luck to all those waiting for an offer or on the waitlist - a lot of people don't accept their offers and I know more than few this year who aren't in light of the new future of teaching in Ontario so keep your heads up. 

On 4/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, bisclav said:

Good luck to all those waiting for an offer or on the waitlist - a lot of people don't accept their offers and I know more than few this year who aren't in light of the new future of teaching in Ontario so keep your heads up. 

Hi @bisclav, I'm currently a graduating MT student this year.

From my exp, school boards are still hiring for supply teachers (esp. catholic boards). It's only permanent teacher contracts that are affected by the Ford education cuts. Six people in my cohort that got interviews for the TDSB supply list, scheduled for this Thursday.  In past years, its typically between 0 and 1 people getting an interview with the TDSB.

So for those of you who do get an offer, don't reject it simply because of Doug Ford. Supply teaching pays $270/day anyways, and there is plenty of workdays to go around.

Edited by Jackson8918

1 hour ago, Jackson8918 said:

From my exp, school boards are still hiring for supply teachers (esp. catholic boards). It's only permanent teacher contracts that are affected by the Ford education cuts. Six people in my cohort that got interviews for the TDSB supply list, scheduled for this Thursday.  In past years, its typically between 0 and 1 people getting an interview with the TDSB.

So for those of you who do get an offer, don't reject it simply because of Doug Ford. Supply teaching pays $270/day anyways, and there is plenty of workdays to go around.

Hi Jackson8918! Thanks for the info and also congrats on your upcoming graduation!! I was wondering if you knew anyone in your cohort that got in on the waitlist (i’m not sure what stream you are but also if anyone else on the other streams did?). just for some hope to the three of us waiting on here!!

2 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

Hello, thank you for the response and congratulations! 

I know there's still a very large need for supply teachers and just like in the post-Harris years, there will be permanent contracts for all of us sooner or later!

The people I know who chose to accept different programs did so based on the idea that with the new implementations, there will be fewer teachers to supply for in the first place, and a much longer time spent before being able to secure long term positions or contracts which didn't appeal to them. I think it's just a case of individual personalities and goals/timelines really. 

On a separate note, do you mind telling me when the earliest point one can gain additional qualifications is? Do we have to wait until after we graduate OISE, or can we do it alongside our mandatory courses?

3 minutes ago, bisclav said:

Hello, thank you for the response and congratulations! 

I know there's still a very large need for supply teachers and just like in the post-Harris years, there will be permanent contracts for all of us sooner or later!

The people I know who chose to accept different programs did so based on the idea that with the new implementations, there will be fewer teachers to supply for in the first place, and a much longer time spent before being able to secure long term positions or contracts which didn't appeal to them. I think it's just a case of individual personalities and goals/timelines really. 

On a separate note, do you mind telling me when the earliest point one can gain additional qualifications is? Do we have to wait until after we graduate OISE, or can we do it alongside our mandatory courses?

I believe you can start your AQ's after your first year of teacher practicum or at least that's what I've been told!

50 minutes ago, bisclav said:

I'm pretty sure for most AQ providers you must have your OCT registered first as a mandatory requirement, which is annoying since OCT registration takes anywhere from 3-6 months after graduation. Requiring your OCT is the standard procedure for most universities, but there are exceptions. You'll have to do some research on your own. I tried registering for Senior Math and Senior Physics AQs in my first year, but was denied by OISE.

For some, doing an AQ at your graduating university in the summer of your graduating year is permissible. Right now, OISE is offering us 2019 grads anywhere from $100-200 discounts for summer AQs. Other universities like Queens require a letter from the dean of your graduating Teacher ed program, recommending your enrollment in an AQ without an OCT.

Be warned, AQs are substantially more workload heavy that typical teachers college courses. Online courses require ~20 hours of coursework each week, for a total of 6 weeks.

Edited by Jackson8918

1 hour ago, soapyhope said:

Hi Jackson8918! Thanks for the info and also congrats on your upcoming graduation!! I was wondering if you knew anyone in your cohort that got in on the waitlist (i’m not sure what stream you are but also if anyone else on the other streams did?). just for some hope to the three of us waiting on here!!

I think we had 2 waitlisted people who joined us during the 2nd week of class. We were in the intermediate/senior stream. They do enrollment all the way until the last second, its kinda just how OISE is...

I sent a email today asking how many applicants get waitlisted and in previous years, approximately what % of applicants on the waitlist get in. The response was that they had a large number of applications from well qualified candidates but only a limited number of spaces. They said it was not possible to enter into a discussion or correspondence about my position on the waitlist, but will contact me as soon as possible if a space becomes available. Was also told that often spots become available throughout the summer and sometimes into August and that it’s not uncommon to receive an offer of admission at that time.