HELP! ASHA Prerequisite basic science requirements

I recently got an email from one of the Universities I applied to saying that my anatomy of speech and hearing course cannot fulfill the biological science requirement. They are saying i have to take a separate biology course that has nothing to do with communication disorders. I got the same story for physics, they are telling me my science of speech and hearing class does not qualify for the ASHA physical science. This is new to me, did the rules change? 

I completed my prerequisites at CSUSM and they told us that we didn’t need to take another biology class or chemistry/ physics apart from the communication disorder ones. This is what I found on ASHA, but I did not see the CANNOT before. 

Coursework in the areas of biological sciences, physical sciences, social/behavioral sciences, and statistics cannot be related to speech-language pathology, audiology, communication sciences, hearing sciences, or logopedia unless they fulfill a university general education requirement and are available to students who are not majoring in communication sciences and disorders (CSD). Beginning January 1, 2020: applicants' coursework in physical science must include content in either physics or chemistry.

I’m so confused, please help!

2 minutes ago, Sweetroll said:

I recently got an email from one of the Universities I applied to saying that my anatomy of speech and hearing course cannot fulfill the biological science requirement. They are saying i have to take a separate biology course that has nothing to do with communication disorders. I got the same story for physics, they are telling me my science of speech and hearing class does not qualify for the ASHA physical science. This is new to me, did the rules change? 

I completed my prerequisites at CSUSM and they told us that we didn’t need to take another biology class or chemistry/ physics apart from the communication disorder ones. This is what I found on ASHA, but I did not see the CANNOT before. 

Coursework in the areas of biological sciences, physical sciences, social/behavioral sciences, and statistics cannot be related to speech-language pathology, audiology, communication sciences, hearing sciences, or logopedia unless they fulfill a university general education requirement and are available to students who are not majoring in communication sciences and disorders (CSD). Beginning January 1, 2020: applicants' coursework in physical science must include content in either physics or chemistry.

I’m so confused, please help!

I am not sure if I will be much help, but I believe CSUSM meant additional courses weren't required for your BA/BS degree. However, for grad school, ASHA did change the requirements ( as you posted ). Even though it says beginning 2020, every program I applied to had already implemented it. I took  Bio and physics online through a junior college in CA. I had really easy professors in both classes so it was very easy....too easy! Is your app still being considered at the school that emailed you? Hopefully, it is because you can always just take the two classes you needed. 

I also went through CSUSM to complete my prereqs and heard about a similar problem last year. The director said that the department contacted ASHA and was given confirmation that the SLP 320 and PHYS 357 should meet the ASHA requirements because they are GEs at the university. You might try contacting the SLP prep program director at CSUSM for some guidance.

Unfortunately, what you posted is right, they can't be communication disorders classes. I took one of my science classes at a community college. Could you reply/reach out to the schools you applied to and let them know you will be taking the two courses over the summer at a CC. A warning, chemistry and bio can be intense, so take the easiest ones you can, especially if you're taking them both at once. I'm so sorry for the stress you must be feeling. That's never a good feeling, especially when you got bad information from an authority you trusted. I hope it all works out smoothly for you.

2 hours ago, Toya said:

I took  Bio and physics online through a junior college in CA. I had really easy professors in both classes so it was very easy....too easy! Is your app still being considered at the school that emailed you? Hopefully, it is because you can always just take the two classes you needed. 

Toya, I'm wondering what JC you took your online courses at? Maybe that could be a good option for Sweetroll.

As far as I know yes, you do need non-ComSci classes to fulfill those requirements. I took a introductory/investigating physics class at my university that was quite easy, and I'm currently taking an online biology class through my local community college. As long as you take the basic, non-major versions they should be fairly easy!

Yeah, I was pretty bummed when I found this out too. If you don't have much time to complete a course, you could take a CLEP exam to fulfill those requirements. It is a more affordable and timely option. It's like taking the final exam to test out of a particular course. If you have any questions, here are the links below. Also, feel free to ask me any questions-- I have taken three CLEP exams so far.

Here is the one for Bio: https://clep.collegeboard.org/science-and-mathematics/biology

Here is the one for Chem (No Physics offered): https://clep.collegeboard.org/science-and-mathematics/chemistry

I took a chem course online last summer through my university instead and it was pretty easy, so I can also give you the info for that class too if you'd like.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2019 at 10:08 PM, Toya said:

I am not sure if I will be much help, but I believe CSUSM meant additional courses weren't required for your BA/BS degree. However, for grad school, ASHA did change the requirements ( as you posted ). Even though it says beginning 2020, every program I applied to had already implemented it. I took  Bio and physics online through a junior college in CA. I had really easy professors in both classes so it was very easy....too easy! Is your app still being considered at the school that emailed you? Hopefully, it is because you can always just take the two classes you needed. 

Hi Toya,

Can you tell me where you took your bio class online? 

4 hours ago, MissT said:

Hi Toya,

Can you tell me where you took your bio class online? 

Hi,

I completed the prereqs at Coastline Community College in Garden Grove CA. 

On 4/13/2019 at 7:38 PM, CANDYLAND said:

I took a course titled .... physical science  will this meet criteria. do i need to chemistry or physics

Hi,

Contact the grad programs you are interested in and check. My experience was that all of the ones I applied to required a stand alone physics or chemistry course. I had an advanced Astronomy with HEAVY physics that was listed under the physics department and it wouldnt fly. I had to take a stand alone course, but was allowed to do it after acceptance to my grad program. Some will let you do it after acceptance, some programs will state it must be done before. So, best to ask.

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, cowdog said:

I took a physics of music class at CSUN and im wondering if this will pass for ASHA certification.. it was listed as a general ed class. Such a pain since im already in my second year of my masters ?

anyone have any insight?

If you're already in your second year I would check with your advisor ASAP so you're not potentially screwed later! I would give them the syllabus and maybe present an argument as to why you believe it meets the standard. Ultimately, it's your grad program's call to accept or reject. It sounds like it should meet the qualification, though.

• 2 weeks later...