Everything's Riding on One 15-Minute Interview

scthorne

I've heard back from all schools. Haven't updated my signature yet because (let's be honest) my self-esteem is shot. All rejections except for one 15 minute Skype interview, scheduled for later today, and I just received my last rejection. I know this topic has been posted before, but I'm getting desperate.

I need all the interview tips I can get. Based on the email I received, the interview will be with two members of the admissions committee (neither of which are the POI). I'll be prepared to discuss my research interests, my interests with the specific program, and I have a few questions prepared. These are the topics mentioned in the email inviting me to interview.

Any last minute tips to maximize my chances at admission? Thanks in advance!

Hey! I hope I'm not too late. I wish you luck!

Here is a link to a similar question asked in the philosophy forum: 

Included in the thread is another link to answers from a similar question, you should find all these helpful :)

I've never done a skype interview for grad school specifically, so I'm not the best person to ask for advice. But in general, make sure you're somewhere with a neutral background and a good internet connection. Speak clearly, and if you're a nervous talker who speeds up  under pressure, intentionally slow down what you're saying until it feels waaaay too slow. It'll sound normal speed to the people you're interviewing with. Don't ramble or go back over your answers if you're second guessing yourself--it makes you sound insecure. 

Best of luck!

@ringoandme thank you so much!! I think I'm mostly just rattled after receiving another rejection. Those tips are really helpful!

My interview is in about four hours, you're not too late. I'm still a ball of anxiety, but less so now that a few hours have passed. I wrote a to do list of things to prepare me in the hour before the interview (at work until then) and I think between these things, the items you mentioned and in the other threads, and some mindfulness/grounding activities I should be a lot better prepared.

Edited by scthorne

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are quite a lot of threads for sample questions but here are the ones I got from my POI for a Psychological/Medical Anthropology PhD from UCSD. She requested an interview 5 days after I submitted that school's application, which was CRAZY! Turned out that she liked to interview her "top candidates" (woot!) before the committee even meets in late Jan.  

1. Tell me about yourself and your work. How did you became interested in this topic?

2. I can see the continuities between your last research work (in my case, she was talking about my undergraduate thesis which I got published) and your current proposed research, but they're still different. Can you explain your shift and why? 

3. Your work reminded me of X author. How does your work relate to them? How does it contribute to the broader __ studies? 

4. Does this X current event happening in your region of interest change your project? (in my case, intense protests that started up 2 months ago in my country of interest.)

5. Why Anthropology? (It seems like you could do well in different fields.) 

6. What's the most inspiring piece of ethnography/anthropology you've ever read?

Cheers!