Backpack or Messenger Bag?

PastHistory

292 members have voted

1. 1. What should grad students carry?

• Backpack
    • Messenger Bag
    • Something else

A lot of it depends on if you have an office/carrel/place on campus to leave stuff.

I have two different backpacks (small and large) and a good soft briefcase. I use different ones depending on where I'm going and how much stuff I have to carry that day. For the most part, though, since I have an office on campus, I just carry a few papers/notebooks back and forth, so something small works well.

Not only do I think a backpack looks clunky, it is just less functional for me. I haven't had one since high school when I would regularly need to lug 30+ lbs of books home with me. I have not needed to do that since then, so no point. My computer is a netbook, which fits in my book. I am a small person - 5' tall. Any backpack I find is too dang big and makes me look like a pre-schooler heading to school. When I get things in the backpack it never sits properly and the straps always slide off my shoulders. I also just can't get to things like my wallet, keys, or other important implements when they are in the backpack. Thus, I prefer a shoulder bag. I generally carry a small ladies brief or a large purse/messenger.

aww i bet you look cute with your widdle backy pack on

It's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I have both a messenger bag and a backpack, and I use one or the other depending on what I have to carry, what I have planned during the day, and how long I'll be away from home or a base of operations (i.e., job, office, etc.)

I carry my books in my hand. It's been years since I've had to bring textbooks to class aside from obligatory language courses.

I have a Kavu rope bag. It was on sale for 30 bucks. It has a lifetime warranty. It has a buckle. It's pretty hipster in fashion, but is meant for endurance since it's primarily used by hikers. I began using smaller notebooks with different sections, and they fit perfectly. There's two compartments. Its inner lining keeps cold things cold, and hot things hot.

My last year of undergrad, I did a trial run of not taking my laptop with me to class. It worked pretty damned well (that and my Apple battery needed to be replaced . . . and Apple is Apple and expensive). I'm pretty minimal. If you require taking things "just in case," then a rope bag is definitely not for you. I don't know what to expect as far as my research regimen is concerned, but I'm not fretting since I have Dropbox, a flashdrive, etc. Plus, I don't want my entire life to trod away in the hands of a wily 'robbawuh.'

I've seen some dope messenger bags. I'd imagine if you plan on biking though, a sturdy backpack is the better option!

Edit* I guess a generic pic would be pretty jazzy. http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/207821994.jpg <- I originally had a houndstooth print version, but was being very cruel to my buckle (as was my dog) and it broke. So now I have a solid gray one, hassle-receipt free.

Edited by Chulianne

I use both depending on what I'm doing. For reference, I commute on my bicycle to campus (bike is equipped with a front basket). The backpack I use is fairly small but decent for carrying what I need (pens, netbook, 2 water bottles, lunch, wallet, folder or two) to campus. I use it whenever it's not super hot. When it's hot or when I have less to carry, I use my messenger bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Neither backpacks nor messenger bags look "professional," so really it's all about which you like more. I guess a briefcase would be professional. I thought about this issue a bit and got myself a backpack because I like to bike, and a backpack won't slide around. Plus, you can get backpacks with padded laptop pockets and still have room for more books. Of course, all of that will kill your back.

I think the grad student cultures at most universities do not require grad students to dress up, with a few exceptions.

I collect backpacks, messenger bags, and satchels. (Satchels, not murses.) So I usually have the right tool for the job.

As I've got a tricky back, I've taken to heart the guidance I got from a chiropractor. When the load is heavier, I go with a backpack and I wear it over both shoulders.

Why not both for their natural purposes? Backpack when you need to carry a lot of materials (>1 textbook, >2 folders, etc.). Messenger bag when you need to carry a few materials (1 text, notebook, laptop, etc.).

But I prefer messenger bags mostly since I don't carry a lot. That and because I've worn the same backpack grades K-12 (and still do). A messenger bag just feels a bit more mature to me. Maybe it's just because I use a Jansport backpack that's typical for middle or high schoolers.

Edited by Riem

I use a backpack because I am getting old. The uneven weight distribution of messenger bags hurts me. I strategically picked a red backpack (going to pick up some reflectors this week) so I am more visible when crossing the street---I would hate to get hit by a car before finishing my degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Riem brings up a good point. I personally have numerous bags and briefcases I've amassed since high school and working. A lot of people here seem to be making this a discrete choice when the majority of people I know have both for heavy-load and light-load days.

I think its 95% fashion statement, but then, we convince ourselves its like 20% fashion statement and 80% something thats more reasonable to even make this a reasonable discussion.

for me, backpack all the way. And also for me, its both for functionality and fashion statement that I'm a friggin student that just need to get things done regardless of how I look. I'm never sacrificing functionality and convenience for looks. I have a shoulder bag for my laptop and its a * to carry, I just put my laptop in my backpack... along with my papers and lunch.

Edited by donnyz89

I prefer backpacks because messenger bags, while looking cool, always hurt my shoulder and if I have to run to avoid being late for class, the bag part thuds against my side. Also, the straps of most of them seem to want to rest between my boobs and that makes them look weird. Sorry for the TMI but that's a major deterrent for me. I suppose some of those problems could be eliminated with the Chrome kind?

• 2 years later...

Looking at the replies, it appears to me that backpack is the wiser option. What puzzled me is despite this, the poll shows that about half of you guys think messenger bags are equally good.

I've been searching for good backpacks but it seems that most of the commonly cited college backpacks look boring to me (check out this list if you don't believe me).

It was only after searching high and low that I found some of the more beautiful-looking backpacks that looks like, they are solid enough to let me carry heavy textbooks and my Macbook. But... these backpacks are so expensive. In case you are wondering which backpacks have caught my attention, Tumi alpha bravo and Vagabond traveler are 2 examples.

I know messenger bag looks cool, but I think it can only be used on certain days when my schedule is less hectic and I don't need to bring all the heavy books along.

Anyone has better idea on which backpacks are solid enough for college use and yet still look beautiful and of course, affordable?

I use a patagonia hiking bag for everything. As a matter of fact, I am in a conference right now and am wearing a suit with my bright yellow fashionable backpack hehehe.

I like to tell myself that i look much cooler than everyone else wearing the same old brown/black messenger bag. They all look so uncomfortable and walk like they are in pain (they probably are -- carrying everything over only one shoulder is painful)

I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003M9S5WQ?pc_redir=1402972964&robot_redir=1

It's of very good quality and everyone likes it. It has a laptop compartment and lots of pockets. Mine is orange and purple and I often receive compliments. I recommend it.

Looking at the replies, it appears to me that backpack is the wiser option. What puzzled me is despite this, the poll shows that about half of you guys think messenger bags are equally good.

I've been searching for good backpacks but it seems that most of the commonly cited college backpacks look boring to me (check out this list if you don't believe me).

It was only after searching high and low that I found some of the more beautiful-looking backpacks that looks like, they are solid enough to let me carry heavy textbooks and my Macbook. But... these backpacks are so expensive. In case you are wondering which backpacks have caught my attention, Tumi alpha bravo and Vagabond traveler are 2 examples.

I know messenger bag looks cool, but I think it can only be used on certain days when my schedule is less hectic and I don't need to bring all the heavy books along.

Anyone has better idea on which backpacks are solid enough for college use and yet still look beautiful and of course, affordable?

This just comes down to personal preference. Backpacks help my back and let me lug more, so I stick to them. The president of my undergrad university was seen daily walking around with a backpack.

In terms of looking "professional" it comes down to how you carry yourself, how you conduct yourself, and how you dress--not how you carry your books.  ;)