Backpack or Messenger Bag?

PastHistory

292 members have voted

1. 1. What should grad students carry?

• Backpack
    • Messenger Bag
    • Something else

My friend and I were debating what looked more professional for a grad student to carry...or does it even matter what they carry their notebooks in? What are your thoughts?

Grad students have to look professional?! I would only worry about that at a conference. My profs don't care how I carry my books. My students don't even see how I carry my stuff, since the lab where I teach is right next door to my office--I don't use a bag to haul stuff next door!

I haven't carried a backpack since high school, and where I go to college at the moment carrying a backpack is weird and uncool (I suppose the equivalent of the wheelie backpack in high school!). I'm female, so I've been carrying my notes and books around in a medium-sized handbag for years and find it to be much more convenient than a backpack because I don't have to switch my wallet, keys, phone, chapstick etc. to a different bag every time I go somewhere other than class. I also don't need to take the bag off my back in order to get stuff out. If I were a man I'd go with a messenger back for that reason, although I suppose since backpacks seem to be acceptable/normal at most US universities, you should just go with whatever you find most comfortable.

That said, you should consider the briefcase option. Alongside the whole beard thing, it's one of the reasons I'm jealous that I'm not a man. I wish I could keep my "important papers" in a briefcase without it looking odd.

Really, it's all about the "fashion statement" you want to make. I find messenger bags more fashionable but I find backpacks to be more functional.

As a biker, messenger bags come with the culture but the fact that the strap slips all the time and I find myself constantly repositioning it while I'm riding is cumbersome. However, they do give your back some breathing room and they look awesome. However, they cannot carry as many books as I'd liek along with my laptop. It seems that with a messenger bag, all those items feel insecure because it's only hanging by one strap. Not to mention how my shoulder hurts after wearing it for so long. (I have the same problem with purses.)

Backpacks, don't look as cool but they hold everything which is something I always consider over fashion. Function over fashion. I'm not as worried about my belongings falling out or being harmed than with a regular messenger bag.

In short, I think I'll go with backpacks.

Not only do I think a backpack looks clunky, it is just less functional for me. I haven't had one since high school when I would regularly need to lug 30+ lbs of books home with me. I have not needed to do that since then, so no point. My computer is a netbook, which fits in my book. I am a small person - 5' tall. Any backpack I find is too dang big and makes me look like a pre-schooler heading to school. When I get things in the backpack it never sits properly and the straps always slide off my shoulders. I also just can't get to things like my wallet, keys, or other important implements when they are in the backpack. Thus, I prefer a shoulder bag. I generally carry a small ladies brief or a large purse/messenger.

I myself never understand the purse girls. Yes, I get that it's a hassle to switch all the items from backpack to handbag, but I don't get how they carry textbooks plus the fucking huge laptops the school makes us use. I know I look like a very unfashionable moron with my dirty backpack, but at least my shoulder doesn't hurt. I think I will purchase a slightly less stupid looking one for grad school, though. A lot of my profs carry backpacks, so I don't think it's shameful.

Heh, we're supposed to pick? For everyday use, I carry either a backpack, a shoulder bag, or a messenger bag, depending on how much stuff I have to carry, whether I need my netbook, and the weather (ie, rain or not). If it's going to rain, I go with the backpack or messenger bag because they are waterproof. The netbook fits in all of them, but the fit depends on how much else I need to bring with me. Oh, and on Fridays, I tend to just have a large purse, since we go to happy hour afterwards.

At conferences, I tend to carry a large purse. Or, sometimes, a small shoulder bag. Depends on whether or not I have to wear a coat. At any rate, my small conference notebook fits in almost any purse I have, which helps a lot.

EDIT: I should point out that I primarily commute on bike, and I put the purse/shoulder bag into the front basket. With a messenger bag or backpack, I wear it while I ride.

Normally, I just use a messenger bag. (I love my Bag of Holding; it's like it has a pocket for everything.) But I've had to switch to a backpack the last few weeks because I'm on crutches, and the messenger bag tends to slip and knock my crutches out from under me.

I think the messenger bag has cleaner lines, but if you're carrying a lot, have physical reasons (hello stress fracture), or it's just not your thing, there's no shame in a backpack. It's personal taste and functionality. Whatever makes life easier.

For conferences, though, it's a toss-up between the messenger bag and a shoulder bag. The last conference I went to gave me a free one, so why not use it?

Right now I keep everything in a large purse. It holds netbook, textbooks, purse things...if I need to carry a binder or more books with me, I take a larger shoulder bag.

For grad school, I'm getting a messenger bag. My poor purse is looking a bit beat up and I think it'll be a long while before I have $350 to drop for another one.

Backpack or messenger bag? For pete's sake, this is grad school, not high school! Who cares what I bring my stuff to school in, as long as it gets there? If all I have on hand is a paper bag, then that's what it'll be. :P No one will notice or care, and if they do that's they're problem, not mine. :D

Backpack or messenger bag? For pete's sake, this is grad school, not high school! Who cares what I bring my stuff to school in, as long as it gets there? If all I have on hand is a paper bag, then that's what it'll be. :P No one will notice or care, and if they do that's they're problem, not mine. :D

Basically. LOL

And as long as no one who purports to care about me lets me become the Rolling Bag Student.

You all know them. LOL I had a TA last summer that had one and I use to give me hell over it. He took it in stride. Get it? STRIDE!!! HA!

I currently use a backpack for my laptop, books, and notebook. I do have a messenger bag I got for free, but it's not big enough for my laptop. I might be buying another messenger bag or backpack for grad school. Still a bit undecided, but I have scoped out choices already.

I like cross-body messenger bags. They're easier on the shoulders, and give me easy access to their contents.

That said, construction is important and takes precedence over looks. I got a snazzy-looking one for this semester, but the strap bust as I was running for a bus. Now I'm stuck carrying it around by the handles. Luckily, my MacBook was unharmed by the fall.

One shoulder bags with two straps tend to be safer -- if one strap breaks, you have another! But I don't think the hurt it puts on your shoulder is worth it.

Two straps on a cross-body would be nice....

Just in case anyone was interested in the bags I'm looking at:

-Brooklyn Industries (have)

-Booq Bags

-STM Bags

-Timbuk2

-Pakuma

Edited by joro

• 1 year later...

I'm debating this with myself too. Currenly, I have a back pack but its heavy on me and 'no easy access' to contents. I/m thinking of buying a ligfht weight(cotton/canvas) messenger bag. So how bad/good are canvas bags for grad school?

I actually switch between a tote, messenger, or a backpack. I've gotten a few very, very cute and sturdy Vera Bradley bags over the years, so I want to put them to use! They have pretty, colorful designs all over them, but I honestly don't think I've met a professor who would care. I only use my backpack when I'm hauling my beast of a laptop around, and for the rest of the time I stick to a tote or messenger since I only have papers and or my small netbook, and they aren't heavy. Whatever you choose to get, make sure it's something that's sturdy and doesn't strain your back!

I remember a boy who carried his books in a cardboard box to school everyday. He was poor, underestimated, and the smartest kid (when given equal opportunities which he was denied) toe-to-toe. I don't think it matters, but for the sake of being cute--either can look cute depending on the person carrying it. :)

Hey, I was that rolling bag student in high school - ran down a flight of stairs with a 60-lb backpack on, hurt my neck, was wheeling it for the next year-plus. It was extra-charming because I'm 6' tall and the handles were way too short.

I backpacked it through college, but for work I used a handbag. For the coursework year, it'll probably depend on how much stuff needs to be lugged on any given day...I've been known to stuff my handbag in my backpack when I realize I need to bring my laptop somewhere.

I have an awesome backpack from MEC (Canadian company) that I use on a daily basis to carry my lap top. I also have a little purse that I keep at my desk for when I want to run out for lunch or coffee, so I don't have to take everything. No one cares anyway what you look like at my school. I feel like my new school will be the same.

Perhaps it's just me but it doesn't take long for my shoulders or back to start hurting if I have just a shoulder bag. The worst was during undergrad when I would have textbooks, rugby boots and gear, and shower gear all in a large one-strapped rugby bag. I loved that thing but it was terrible for me. I had to carry it around all day two days a week. And of course, in undergrad there's no office to stash your things in.

Perhaps it's just me but it doesn't take long for my shoulders or back to start hurting if I have just a shoulder bag. The worst was during undergrad when I would have textbooks, rugby boots and gear, and shower gear all in a large one-strapped rugby bag. I loved that thing but it was terrible for me. I had to carry it around all day two days a week. And of course, in undergrad there's no office to stash your things in.

But there are lockers! I had a gym locker just for my rugby stuff (I practiced every day though). Our practice field was off-campus though, so after I got a car my gear stayed in there.