Accepted in MGH, SLP Fall 2019

MGH has been my first choice for months and I was elated to receive acceptance. However I was offered a scholarship at another school that makes MGH 3x as expensive and I just simply cannot justify the cost.

I did send a formal letter expressing my excitement and inquiring into the possibility of a scholarship from MGH for those not initially offered one in their letters, and it was met with a firm “we’ve given out all of the scholarships we’re going to give”.

There are absolutely strengths and weaknesses to each program, but ultimately it’s the work we do after school that will build our careers. So here I am unexpectedly turning away from MGH and feeling surprisingly good about it. 

Edited by Music&SLP

Just now, Music&SLP said:

MGH has been my first choice for months and I was elated to receive acceptance. However I was offered a scholarship at another school that makes MGH 3x as expensive and I just simply cannot justify the cost. There are absolutely strengths and weaknesses to each program, but ultimately it’s the work we do after school that will build our careers. So here I am unexpectedly turning away from MGH and feeling surprisingly good about it. 

Good for you! At the end of the day, you've got to do what works best for you!! Which program will you be attending instead?

13 minutes ago, samiamslp said:

Good for you! At the end of the day, you've got to do what works best for you!! Which program will you be attending instead?

Thank you! It’s not official, as I’ll still attend campus days to be sure I feel good about the decision, but Emerson College:) I loved the atmosphere there when I visited and their Transgender Voice program is unique and aligns with my interests. I have a colleague with connections to faculty at some of the Boston programs who reiterated for me that there is no wrong choice amongst the Boston programs if what I want is to pursue clinical work (rather than a specific area of research). This faculty member also stressed that there is an inflated sense of importance built up around clinical placements during the application/school choice process.  They said students always think their education, CF, and future employment hinges on getting exactly the settings they want but that this is just not true. There are so many variables and ultimately we should seek a program that we feel will be supportive and provide a solid, well-rounded education so we feel prepared for work after college. I found this really helpful, as I was holding onto this fear that turning down MGH meant cutting off opportunities to work in medical slp, and though it’s an amazing program, it’s not the golden ticket:)

Edited by Music&SLP

On 3/11/2019 at 5:54 PM, Music&SLP said:

Thank you! It’s not official, as I’ll still attend campus days to be sure I feel good about the decision, but Emerson College:) I loved the atmosphere there when I visited and their Transgender Voice program is unique and aligns with my interests. I have a colleague with connections to faculty at some of the Boston programs who reiterated for me that there is no wrong choice amongst the Boston programs if what I want is to pursue clinical work (rather than a specific area of research). This faculty member also stressed that there is an inflated sense of importance built up around clinical placements during the application/school choice process.  They said students always think their education, CF, and future employment hinges on getting exactly the settings they want but that this is just not true. There are so many variables and ultimately we should seek a program that we feel will be supportive and provide a solid, well-rounded education so we feel prepared for work after college. I found this really helpful, as I was holding onto this fear that turning down MGH meant cutting off opportunities to work in medical slp, and though it’s an amazing program, it’s not the golden ticket:)

I loved Emerson when I visited!! Enjoy, it is an amazing program as well and I am very excited for you?

3 hours ago, samiamslp said:

Is anyone going to the MGH IHP open house next Saturday? I won't be able to go but would love to hear what anyone finds out while there!

I’ll be going for the whole day! I’ll let you know how it is. PM me if I don’t remember haha 

34 minutes ago, samiamslp said:

Thank you!! I very well might end up there, so that would be great?

Cool! I’m 95% sure I’m going to MGH. Maybe we’ll be in the same cohort, my subreddit friend haha

8 minutes ago, cakcak said:

Does anyone know if there's a facebook page for the incoming class ? Unless I get off Pitt's waitlist, I'm fairly sure I'll be attending! It's my dream school and I can't wait for the open house :)

I haven’t seen a page for it yet... it might be for invite only once you submit a deposit (NYMC did that). Maybe we should create one!

Is anyone going to the open house and want to say hi/chat for a bit? Excited to meet others in my (potential) future cohort!

Edited by BioCook
Add info

7 hours ago, musicalmini said:

Hey guys!

I couldn't fly out for the open, but did anyone take notes the wouldn't mind posting??

Hi! I didn't take too many notes, but they handed out packets with a lot of good information in there. Happy to send some of that info your way. :)