UT Austin - Student Opinions

I've just been accepted into UT's program and was wondering what other students, who may have attended for their undergrad or have visited the school, thought of their speech program? I'm interested in bilingual therapy as that's a huge draw for their school but was also concerned about funding. They mentioned in their email that they had some "limited ga positions", but I was interested in how many grad students actually get these positions. If anyone has more info on this then please let me know, thanks!

1 hour ago, slptobe97 said:

I've just been accepted into UT's program and was wondering what other students, who may have attended for their undergrad or have visited the school, thought of their speech program? I'm interested in bilingual therapy as that's a huge draw for their school but was also concerned about funding. They mentioned in their email that they had some "limited ga positions", but I was interested in how many grad students actually get these positions. If anyone has more info on this then please let me know, thanks!

Thank you for asking this! Does anyone know what the out of state tuition is? On their website you have to indicate how many units to find out, and I'm not really sure how many a student in that program normally takes a semester.

Congratulations! I have also been accepted, but have not had the chance to visit. I am curious about past students' experiences with the faculty in the department. 

1 hour ago, Rezzy S. said:

Thank you for asking this! Does anyone know what the out of state tuition is? On their website you have to indicate how many units to find out, and I'm not really sure how many a student in that program normally takes a semester.

I believe out-of-state tuition is around $22,000 per year including fees. 

34 minutes ago, SLPmb said:

Congratulations! I have also been accepted, but have not had the chance to visit. I am curious about past students' experiences with the faculty in the department. 

I believe out-of-state tuition is around $22,000 per year including fees. 

Thank you! Also curious to hear from students in the grad program!

Edited by Rezzy S.

21 hours ago, Aspire_to_Be said:

Gonna tag along in this thread if that’s alright!

Would any current student also be able to describe if the program is geared more toward educational SLP or are there possibilities for medical placements as well?

If you look at the research labs on their website that'll give you an idea of what they're focused on. Opportunities for medical placements are fairly scarce at the moment since there aren't a ton of huge hospitals in the area, however UT Dell Med opening will most likely change that. There are definitely a lot of school placement opportunities. There isn't as much emphasis on bilingual SLP since the person who ran most of that research recently left to work at another program.

30 minutes ago, peachie_speechie10 said:

If you look at the research labs on their website that'll give you an idea of what they're focused on. Opportunities for medical placements are fairly scarce at the moment since there aren't a ton of huge hospitals in the area, however UT Dell Med opening will most likely change that. There are definitely a lot of school placement opportunities. There isn't as much emphasis on bilingual SLP since the person who ran most of that research recently left to work at another program.

Thanks for your reply!

They still offer bilingual/multilingual certifications though right?

hi y'all!! i was accepted into this program and one of my friends gave me a tour a couple days ago (she is currently in the program). let me just say- i was blown away! she had amazing things to say about the program and mentioned that her favorite things are the close knit/ non-competitive nature of her cohort and that all her professors are genuinely "experts" in the field. there's an opportunity for 2-3 externships (one in the summer, then second year- first semester is mainly that and second semester is full time off-campus placement). Would anyone want to make a Facebook group for the incoming 2019 cohort??

2 minutes ago, futurespeechie19 said:

hi y'all!! i was accepted into this program and one of my friends gave me a tour a couple days ago (she is currently in the program). let me just say- i was blown away! she had amazing things to say about the program and mentioned that her favorite things are the close knit/ non-competitive nature of her cohort and that all her professors are genuinely "experts" in the field. there's an opportunity for 2-3 externships (one in the summer, then second year- first semester is mainly that and second semester is full time off-campus placement). Would anyone want to make a Facebook group for the incoming 2019 cohort??

You’re awesome! Thank you :) would your friend know anything about whether medical externships are available. I’ve heard they can be hard to come by there.