Choices choices

Hi folks!  Longtime lurker here ?.

I'm having trouble choosing between my top choices for masters programs.  They both have their pros and cons.  One is a year long program in Ireland, and the other is a two year program in Boston.  I'll have to take some loans either way.  How is everyone else making their decisions?  Most people that I know are trying not to push me in either direction, so I'm a little lost at this point.  

First of all, congrats on your acceptances :) It sounds like there are a number of things to consider!  

Personally, I find that making a chart of pros and cons really, really helps with decision making.  When I'm deciding between two, I think to divide my paper in fourths with the schools on top and pros/cons on the side of the paper.  It can help to visually see how many pros and cons there are, and to see them side-by-side.  It might help you see which pros are drawing you the most, or which cons detract you the most.  For me, gut feeling and fit is also really important--where does it feel that you'll be happiest? Which program feels like it's "you"? Where are you most excited about the classes and professors?  Which location would you enjoy the most?  Good luck!!

If you intend to continue onto a PhD program, I would suggest the two year program. It will be really hard to make enough meaningful connections for letters of recommendations with a one year program (like only a few weeks). You could always take a gap year which might negate that difference though!

I finished a funded MA with a TAship at George Mason a couple of years ago. It was amazing. In hindsight, I think the money is the most important thing. Choose the option that means the least cost to you (including cost of living in addition to tuition, fees, moving expenses). Even though my program was funded and I had a stipend, I still had to take out a crapton (I mean, a crapton) of loans to pay for living expenses. That debt is no joke, and you don't want to start a PhD in a couple years with as much debt as I have!

you have three choices. the one-year MA in ireland, the two-year MA in boston, and waiting another year and reapplying. if you're intending to do a PhD after the MA, here are some thoughts:

the second option will leave you with probably more loans (i'm assuming based on cost of living in boston for two years alone would require a lot of money) or less time if you seek another income to support yourself so you don't have to take out loans. likely, though, you'll be able to make connections with your professors and really grow as a scholar in that time. your application will be strengthened just because of those two factors, but you'll still have to put in quite a bit of time strengthening your writing sample and statement, regardless if your letters are stellar.

the first option means you get to live in an awesome place, but the room to grow as a scholar will probably feel a little claustrophobic. there has also been discussions of some european professors writing great letters that don't necessarily translate to US sensibilities, so the letters may not come across as strong as they are--also you won't have a lot of time to really ground your relationship with these professors in only a year. it'll be difficult to study in an intense one-year program, foster good working relationships with potential letter writers, and also strengthen your application.

the third option will leave you with the most money to apply next year and likely more time to strengthen your application. 

will the loans be worth the cool location and intense nature of a one-year program in comparison to the loans you'd have to take out to attend the two-year MA that builds in time for strengthening your scholarship and building good relationships with professors? or would a break after the intense one-year MA make those all moot points because you'd take out less loans and also have time to strengthen your application on your own afterwards?

if you're not intending to apply for PhDs after, then i'd say the one year MA program is your best bet (if the cost is less). if you're intending to continue onto a PhD, then i think applying again next year would be the better choice.

tl;dr follow the money.

19 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

also you won't have a lot of time to really ground your relationship with these professors in only a year. it'll be difficult to study in an intense one-year program, foster good working relationships with potential letter writers, and also strengthen your application.

I'd like to expand on @mandelbulb's point here and add this: If you choose the one year option, it's highly likely that you'll need to take an additional gap year before applying. I think most professors are aware that European professors write differently from professors in the United States and they adjust for that. However, I think the concern is that a professor wouldn't know enough about your ability to succeed in grad school if you're asking them for a recommendation letter  after only a few weeks in a grad program. It takes time to form relationships with professors and for them to see your growth as a student so they can write you the best letter of recommendation they can. I think this is true for any 1-year grad program with the exception being if you've previously attended the school as an undergrad and wanted to develop your research interests more and have had previous interactions with the professor.

19 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

tl;dr follow the money.

Another strong point is brought up here. It's important to remember that any loans for grad school are unsubsidized. It's also unlikely that you'll be able to afford to use much of your stipend to pay back student loans. This often means that your interest could go up a fair amount while you're attending grad school. This is concerning because there is no guarantee of a job at the end of the degree no matter where you decide to go. 

Thanks everyone!  I really needed to talk with people who get it.  Thankfully the loans will not be massive, but I know just how fast they can get out of control.  Ah, if we were all independently wealthy!  Now I've got to get a whiteboard and write the pros and cons for BC and Trinity College Dublin ?

Edited by isle435

17 hours ago, Warelin said:

I'd like to expand on @mandelbulb's point here and add this: If you choose the one year option, it's highly likely that you'll need to take an additional gap year before applying. I think most professors are aware that European professors write differently from professors in the United States and they adjust for that. However, I think the concern is that a professor wouldn't know enough about your ability to succeed in grad school if you're asking them for a recommendation letter  after only a few weeks in a grad program. It takes time to form relationships with professors and for them to see your growth as a student so they can write you the best letter of recommendation they can. I think this is true for any 1-year grad program with the exception being if you've previously attended the school as an undergrad and wanted to develop your research interests more and have had previous interactions with the professor.

As someone approaching the second half of a 1-year program (in the UK, not at TCD), I just want to emphasize this. I wouldn't have been able to apply to PhD programs this cycle, period. Luckily, I am okay with and had planned for a gap year. But if that's not something you're willing to do, I'd go with the 2-year program.

If I could do this all again, I'd apply to fully-funded, 2-year MA programs in the US rather than attend my current institution (as an undergrad, I didn't really understand that this was an option). But if it were a choice between 2 relatively equally un-funded programs, US vs. Europe, I wouldn't have an immediate preference. I would choose, as others have suggested, based on 1) which will cost you the least in the long run (including living expenses for 1 vs. 2 years); 2) which program (and which faculty) is the best fit for your interests.

One final thing I want to throw in is that while I do think it's responsible to defer attending graduate school until you're able to attend a funded program, I am not necessarily on board with the "you can do all the prep work on your own anyway" sentiment that I've seen thrown around TGC a lot lately. I took a year off after undergrad and did teach myself a f***ton, but the first 6 months of my program have taught me more and provided me with far more opportunities than I would have had access to or learned on my own. I feel confident about applying to PhD programs in 2019 and I can firmly say that wouldn't be the case had I just taken another gap year. I wouldn't have the letters or the writing sample to get in, nor would I have the research focus and understanding of my field that I've gained from spending a lot of time talking to my professors and working on writing assignments for class. I've also been able, while here, to really identify my weaknesses as a writer and researcher and target exactly how to work on those things. There's something definite to be said for spending a year in intensive, formal study. But – take this with a grain of salt. I worked through undergrad and ended up with a savings that is allowing me to leave my MA program debt-free at the end of the year, and that may not be the case for you – which changes things!

FWIW, Dublin is a wonderful city, Ireland is a beautiful country to live in and TCD is such a fantastic (albeit touristy) campus.