HELP!!! Not sure how to decide between schools

Hi everyone!!

I've been accepted to my dream school, UTD, with in-state tuition, but I've also been offered a graduate assistantship at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) that offers full tuition and a monthly stipend. I am still considering the other schools I've been accepted to, but these two schools are my top choices especially because of funding. I'm an out-of-field applicant, and at UIUC I would need to be in school for 3 years instead of 2 years at UTD.

Even with in-state tuition for UTD, I'll have to take out many loans to pay for tuition and my living expenses (Dallas is so much more expensive than Urbana-Champaign). But still, UTD is my dream school and I really, really want to go there. 

I'm also already in a long-distance relationship and don't want that distance to be any longer than it needs to be, which makes UTD look that much nicer (3 years total of long distance vs. 4 years). I've already met the students and faculty at UIUC; I feel like I would fit in really well there and the funding is SO good. 

I know this is a really good spot to be in, but I just don't know what to do.

Is anyone else in this position? Thoughts? Will I kick myself in the foot later for not taking the best financial offer? Will graduate school go by so fast that it won't even feel like another year of long distance?

H E L P 

All advice is welcome :) 

Wow! That kind of funding is amazing. But at the same time, if UTD is your dream school and since you have in-state tuition, paying down the debt doesn’t seem like it would be too bad once you’re an SLP. If it were me I’d choose Dallas just to avoid the cold :).

Honestly it feels like a no-brainer to take that full tuition + stipend, if you're fine with living in that horrendous weather up there. Just my opinion but I think it's entirely worth it to do one more year of long distance in order to get out debt free. If you already feel good about UIUC's program, then don't be fooled by the idea of attending a "dream school" when we're all learning the same thing and getting the same degree. Again, just my take on it!

Honestly I would say go with UIUC's program the funding is beautiful. You can work out a long distance relationship especially if you really love each other. I would not give up anything like that. Put your education first and be debt free from graduate school. Then you said you loved the faculty and felt like you would really fit in. Sis, chose UIUC and live you best life. However pick where your heart leads you and please update me on where you chose.

There must be a reason that this is such a hard decision. From the information you’ve given it seems like there are many more pro’s to the UIUC program, but what are some of the things that make you so excited about UTD?

I am 90% sure I am choosing UTD with the same in-state funding offer, and similarly have to give up a “better option” at Washington State University. I understand the struggle. For me, the program at UTD is worth the increase in loans and I will create an aggressive plan to pay them off. However, hearing that you like the program at UIUC and fit in well there makes it seem clear that you should choose that, unless you have some very specific reasons to choose Dallas (not including the 2 v. 3 year dilemma) 

13 minutes ago, Breadandcheese said:

There must be a reason that this is such a hard decision. From the information you’ve given it seems like there are many more pro’s to the UIUC program, but what are some of the things that make you so excited about UTD?

I am 90% sure I am choosing UTD with the same in-state funding offer, and similarly have to give up a “better option” at Washington State University. I understand the struggle. For me, the program at UTD is worth the increase in loans and I will create an aggressive plan to pay them off. However, hearing that you like the program at UIUC and fit in well there makes it seem clear that you should choose that, unless you have some very specific reasons to choose Dallas (not including the 2 v. 3 year dilemma) 

I love the multicultural emphasis and innumerable opportunities for different clinical placements. I’m also super interested in medical slp but since I’m an out-of-fielder I’m of course not yet sure! But I know I’d have many opportunities to explore that there. The city is also super great and I might want to move to Texas one day (still very unsure about that but something to think about)

But I definitely will say 2 v. 3 year dilemma has been the biggest thing weighing on me 

Just now, ifslp said:

But I definitely will say 2 v. 3 year dilemma has been the biggest thing weighing on m

I get that. I am completing a postbac right now and I’m really glad to have done it because I became much more sure about my interest in the field, but it also feels very much like an undergraduate experience. I think that the way UTD incorporates the things ASHA requires all graduates to take is really impressive, and an extra year at UIUC taking those classes might feel a bit like drudgery until you get to do clinical work. I don’t know! It is also a lot to take it... maybe three years is helpful? My favorite things about the UTD program are that the students and faculty say that it is pretty “low-stress” compared to other programs, many students have part time jobs (according to forums), it is supposedly a really friendly program, and we get to choose our own program basically! I think that is AMAZING. 

Financially... you should choose UIUC. But if you don’t have debt from your undergrad and you are willing to go 70k in debt for this masters, then DO IT! 

Come to UTD with me! Haha ? 

Have you been to Dallas much? I confess I have never been, and I’m worried it’s really dry and boring. What was your experience there? 

3 minutes ago, Breadandcheese said:

I get that. I am completing a postbac right now and I’m really glad to have done it because I became much more sure about my interest in the field, but it also feels very much like an undergraduate experience. I think that the way UTD incorporates the things ASHA requires all graduates to take is really impressive, and an extra year at UIUC taking those classes might feel a bit like drudgery until you get to do clinical work. I don’t know! It is also a lot to take it... maybe three years is helpful? My favorite things about the UTD program are that the students and faculty say that it is pretty “low-stress” compared to other programs, many students have part time jobs (according to forums), it is supposedly a really friendly program, and we get to choose our own program basically! I think that is AMAZING. 

Financially... you should choose UIUC. But if you don’t have debt from your undergrad and you are willing to go 70k in debt for this masters, then DO IT! 

Come to UTD with me! Haha ? 

Have you been to Dallas much? I confess I have never been, and I’m worried it’s really dry and boring. What was your experience there? 

The way they incorporate everything is SO impressive ?

I’ve been to Dallas once when I was little but not to visit the program or see the school. I’d love to do that but won’t be able to, especially because I have to accept my big funding offer super soon.

I really have to think about if I’m willing to go into that much debt. But you guys are really laying out the pros and cons for me and I really appreciate that ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 6:23 PM, KelsHud said:

Honestly I would say go with UIUC's program the funding is beautiful. You can work out a long distance relationship especially if you really love each other. I would not give up anything like that. Put your education first and be debt free from graduate school. Then you said you loved the faculty and felt like you would really fit in. Sis, chose UIUC and live you best life. However pick where your heart leads you and please update me on where you chose.

Accepted the offer at UIUC today :)