Apply for two programs at the same school?

dancedementia

Tried using the search function but my query was way too broad.

What are people's thoughts about applying to two programs at the same school, e.g. Clinical Psychology AND Counseling Psychology programs? There are research mentors in both departments that match my interests and I'd be happy to be accepted to either, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot with both programs by crossing some unspoken boundary.

That was my back-up plan for if round 1 doesn't work out. At my school, the counselling and clinical programs are in entirely separate departments, hence, entirely diff program coordinators/the profs don't know each other. If that's the case for you, I don't see why not--they wouldn't be able to correspond haha :)

I applied to two programs in different departments at the same school, but where a couple of the professors have postings in both. I was asked on the application if I had applied to any others at the school. I got into one and now I have the opportunity to work with people from the other, so it was a win for me. But yeah, some schools, like Wisconsin, only let you apply to one program at a time.

20 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Tried using the search function but my query was way too broad.

What are people's thoughts about applying to two programs at the same school, e.g. Clinical Psychology AND Counseling Psychology programs? There are research mentors in both departments that match my interests and I'd be happy to be accepted to either, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot with both programs by crossing some unspoken boundary.

I did that this round and didn't have any problems - they were in different departments. I would go for it.