Commuting to grad school?

So, I got into 2 grad programs that I really like. We will call them grad program A and B. 

A: I live 15 mins away, but with taking the bus, I would probably get to campus in about 20-30 mins. However, I will be taking 16 credits each semester including clinical placements. 

B: I live a few mins over an hour away. However, I'll be doing 12 credits a semester including clinical placements (two of the semesters is only 6 credits tho). Tuition wise, this is slightly cheaper. If I move to be closer to campus, this will def be more expensive. 

I really really want to save money. I live where it snows over the winter so that may impact commuting. Which program would you choose? 

I spent a significant amount of time commuting to my MA program. My partner and I share a vehicle, so on class days I would take them to work and then commute approximately 2 hrs to school, give or take an hour for traffic and finding a parking spot. It was exhausting, TAing and holding office hours and going to seminar. I regularly got home around 1am after driving back to pick up my partner. My program was designed for 'professionals' so it was only three hour seminars twice a week, but 3 years of that was murder. You should seriously consider how much commuting will impact your day, your energy, your study time, etc.

time isn't just money it is energy and sanity imo...

6 hours ago, Fantasmapocalypse said:

You should seriously consider how much commuting will impact your day, your energy, your study time, etc.

time isn't just money it is energy and sanity imo...

I agree. If there's only a slight difference in tuition I would go with the closer program, both for the extra time you'll have for school and clinic work and also for the gas and wear and tear on your car you can save by taking the bus! That definitely adds up.

Is there a large difference in credits between the two programs, or does school B take longer to complete? 16 credits sounds like a lot, but it actually is possible. I've had 14 credits each semester so far, but last semester everyone who hadn't taken audiology had an additional 3 credits, putting them at 17. It was rough but they all got through it, so if you'll get complete the program faster then I think school A would be a good choice. On the other hand, if you're planning on working during the program then school B would be a better choice. I wouldn't advise working more than a few hours a week if you're taking 16 credits!

4 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

I agree. If there's only a slight difference in tuition I would go with the closer program, both for the extra time you'll have for school and clinic work and also for the gas and wear and tear on your car you can save by taking the bus! That definitely adds up.

Is there a large difference in credits between the two programs, or does school B take longer to complete? 16 credits sounds like a lot, but it actually is possible. I've had 14 credits each semester so far, but last semester everyone who hadn't taken audiology had an additional 3 credits, putting them at 17. It was rough but they all got through it, so if you'll get complete the program faster then I think school A would be a good choice. On the other hand, if you're planning on working during the program then school B would be a better choice. I wouldn't advise working more than a few hours a week if you're taking 16 credits!

Yeah so Grad school A is accelerated and that is most of the reason why I am not fully on board with choosing that program! I'm nervous to be taking 5-6 classes in addition to clinical placements. But you're currently in a grad program that seems to be almost just as intense...so you think I can do it? And yeah I would finish in 4 semesters (so my first 3 semesters are courses and clinical placements, and my last and final semester is a full-time internship) versus program B, which would take 5 semesters to complete (they only require 51 credits in order to graduate and grad program A requires 60 credits). If the program was not so intense, I would choose this program without a doubt. I just don't want to lose my mind and I want to make sure that I will be a fully competent SLP when I'm done. 

Thanks btw! 

53 minutes ago, TeamNoSleep said:

Yeah so Grad school A is accelerated and that is most of the reason why I am not fully on board with choosing that program! I'm nervous to be taking 5-6 classes in addition to clinical placements. But you're currently in a grad program that seems to be almost just as intense...so you think I can do it? And yeah I would finish in 4 semesters (so my first 3 semesters are courses and clinical placements, and my last and final semester is a full-time internship) versus program B, which would take 5 semesters to complete (they only require 51 credits in order to graduate and grad program A requires 60 credits). If the program was not so intense, I would choose this program without a doubt. I just don't want to lose my mind and I want to make sure that I will be a fully competent SLP when I'm done. 

Thanks btw! 

Hmm... it definitely sounds like a tough choice, considering the difference in credits weighed with the commute. It would definitely be nice to get done in 4 semesters instead of 5. Getting done a semester early means you could get a job earlier, which is definitely a plus. If, however, you struggle with procrastination, take longer than normal to complete assignments or study for tests, or are prone to anxiety, school A might be pretty tough. I think I could personally handle that (but maybe be slightly miserable) but everyone's different!

1 hour ago, bibliophile222 said:

Hmm... it definitely sounds like a tough choice, considering the difference in credits weighed with the commute. It would definitely be nice to get done in 4 semesters instead of 5. Getting done a semester early means you could get a job earlier, which is definitely a plus. If, however, you struggle with procrastination, take longer than normal to complete assignments or study for tests, or are prone to anxiety, school A might be pretty tough. I think I could personally handle that (but maybe be slightly miserable) but everyone's different!

Yes, so that's why it has been more a struggle for me to choose. I know I'll put in all my energy, time and effort into doing my best in the program, but I just don't know if I'll be able to handle it. 

I think you can do well in the accelerated program, they wouldn't have accepted you otherwise! The time, energy, and gas/mileage you save from not choosing school B can be invested into school A. And then you graduate a semester earlier and get into the real world sooner too. I'll add in a disclaimer however that I am someone who's commuted an hour or more depending on traffic (and then parking was its own issue) throughout undergrad and I know just how draining it is. No one needs that in grad school. Trust your abilities, and work your ass off in grad school. You'll do great.