Undergrad Progression

Did anyone’s undergrad program have progression? Mine does and it causes me an enormous amount of stress. If you don’t maintain a 3.0 you can’t progress to take upper level courses and if you have a low gpa the director will basically tell you to change your major

Well, I’d have to say that it is pretty critical to maintain a high GPA for this major. To the best of my knowledge, a majority of schools really want to see GPAs of 3 or above, especially competitive ones. 

I don’t think that’s to say you can’t get in with something lower than a 3 (2.8 at worst) as you have other pieces of your application to speak for you.

Even so, it is quite difficult to be competitive with a low GPA, some professors may seem harsh but they do know what they’re talking about. I remember taking anatomy class and my professor basically said to drop out of the class if you failed the first exam (retake the class).

I have seen plenty of individuals get in with GPAs of 3.0-3.4 but as I said you also have to consider GRE scores, letters of recommendation, etc.

Finally, programs can set criterias of passing and progression grades. For my program, if you don’t get at least a B for some classes, you’re unable to take higher level classes, which honestly makes sense. Things only get more challenging as you progress, if you’re struggling with lower level classes, it’s an indicator that you need to step back for a second and gather some thoughts and decisions of what to work on or do next.

Like @Aspire_to_Be says, the classes do get harder. While there are some students who get in to grad school with under a 3.0 GPA, I think most would probably agree that’s not the easiest path.

Touch base with some of the stronger students in your classes and learn about their study strategies. Try a few out to see what works best for you. Form a study group. Personally, Quizlet Learn mode got me through.

Ultimately, I’ve just found doing well in CSD takes an enormous amount of time, and it can be hard to commit to all that. If you’re passionate about becoming an SLP, but can’t give it all the time it needs right now, consider getting your bachelors in a related field, save up some money and get some life experience, then come back to CSD in the form of a post-bacc when you’re ready. My bachelors was not im CSD and I’m glad because I’m a much more motivated student now.

Good luck to you! :)

10 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

Mine did not, but like the previous post said this field is competitive. When I was applying for grad school the GPA minimum requirement for every school that I looked into was a 3.0. If you're struggling with undergrad exams and assignments the ones in grad school are not easier, i don't know about other schools but in my grad program if you get a D in any class you're out of the program, if you get 2 Cs over the course of the program you're out, if you get below a 3.0 in a semester you're out. I've heard of advisor who recommend a change of career path for people i was in undergrad with because they said they would not get into any of the California state school with GPAs on the lower side. the lowest GPA in my grad cohort was like a 3.7. If you really want to be an SLP I say keep trying hard in undergrad and aim for the highest GPA you can, volunteering and working with populations with intellectual disabilities looks great on an application,  holding an officer position in NSSLHA looks great, at least try and run, if you don't win you can write about how you tried and it shows that you were willing to take a leadership role, talk and ask questions to your professors so that you get good letters of Rec, and study for you're GRE. If you really want to be an SLP don't get discouraged if you're rejected on your first application cycle. There's a girl in my cohort that applied 3 time before she finally got in. 

1 hour ago, slpisthedream said:

Mine did not, but like the previous post said this field is competitive. When I was applying for grad school the GPA minimum requirement for every school that I looked into was a 3.0. If you're struggling with undergrad exams and assignments the ones in grad school are not easier, i don't know about other schools but in my grad program if you get a D in any class you're out of the program, if you get 2 Cs over the course of the program you're out, if you get below a 3.0 in a semester you're out. I've heard of advisor who recommend a change of career path for people i was in undergrad with because they said they would not get into any of the California state school with GPAs on the lower side. the lowest GPA in my grad cohort was like a 3.7. If you really want to be an SLP I say keep trying hard in undergrad and aim for the highest GPA you can, volunteering and working with populations with intellectual disabilities looks great on an application,  holding an officer position in NSSLHA looks great, at least try and run, if you don't win you can write about how you tried and it shows that you were willing to take a leadership role, talk and ask questions to your professors so that you get good letters of Rec, and study for you're GRE. If you really want to be an SLP don't get discouraged if you're rejected on your first application cycle. There's a girl in my cohort that applied 3 time before she finally got in. 

So you’re in grad school right now? And if you get lower grades they kick you out or is that your undergrad program that did that?

As harsh as it sounds, I think that the purpose of these expectations is to prepare you for graduate school. To receive your ASHA certification in graduate school students are required to earn a B (3.0) or better in all courses. 

Just now, Penelopepie said:

So you’re in grad school right now? And if you get lower grades they kick you out or is that your undergrad program that did that?

Most Grad schools have a GPA requirement you must keep to stay in. Usually you must maintain a B average or 3.0 to stay in. Although, most of the faculty will help and support you to make sure you're not getting "kicked out". Getting asked to leave is usually a last resort and any times I have heard of it happening it was because the grad student really was not loving it and did not want to be there anymore. 

45 minutes ago, Penelopepie said:

I'm in grad school now and if you get lower grades they will kick you out of the grad program. graduate programs put a lot of emphasis on academic success. I don't know of any grad program that would allow a bunch of Cs and would let you continue. You can get all the Bs in grad school you want though.  

6 hours ago, slpisthedream said:

I'm in grad school now and if you get lower grades they will kick you out of the grad program. graduate programs put a lot of emphasis on academic success. I don't know of any grad program that would allow a bunch of Cs and would let you continue. You can get all the Bs in grad school you want though.  

My grad program is the same: a B- is failing but a B is fine. Even though Bs are fine, they're way too close to a B- for my liking, so I still aim for an A! However, once you're in grad school, your professors do care about your success (both genuinely as people and because dropout rates negatively affect their program completion stats) and will work with you when you're struggling. The good news is that despite all the hard work of grad school, getting in is probably the toughest part!