kenton

Hello, I was looking around for information on these two fellowships and didn't see any threads for this year. I will be super busy from July to September so I thought I might as well get started early. 

Here are links to previous year's threads:

2018-2019

2017-2019

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I just got the no-invite for the FSOA so this is my next deadline. There's a lot I want to rework for this year's app (including another GRE retake) so I need to hit the ground running to prepare.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 12:57 AM, ayasofaya said:

Yeah I just got the no-invite for the FSOA so this is my next deadline. There's a lot I want to rework for this year's app (including another GRE retake) so I need to hit the ground running to prepare.

What are you aiming for the GRE scores? I took mine for a second time and got a 163V 155Q I am not sure how much weight is given to the writing score but mine actually went down the second time :(

I got 162V 156Q so we're basically twins! I have an unrelated undergrad major/work experience and a decent GPA at best (4.45) so my aim is to try to take the things I can still control and make them as top tier as I can. I know I can score 320+ I just have to actually do it lol. I got into half the schools I applied for last time around, so there is the relief of knowing it's at least good enough for a few top programs, but there are other goals I could be working toward (and more funding for the programs I know I can at least be admitted).

All of this means nothing if I don't get the fellowships this year, because then the plan is to follow Ye Olde "Do what you would be doing if the Foreign Service didn't exist," which means getting an MBA. 

Just a few pieces of advice/my opinions: your grades GPA and gre scores are not that important for the fellowship so don't put so much emphasis on it. I know some people want certain things for the grad school program but for the fellowship it's more about your experiences and crafting them into a well written essay. If I were you I would spend more time on the application essays and reaching out to mentors early to help you vs spending more time and money on the GRE UNLESS you wanted a certain score for a program in case the fellowships didn't work out. Again take it with a grain of salt just my opinions. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, all! ?

m7752ne is absolutely correct. From everything that I've read online and from conversations with DIR's and my university's grant advisor, the single most important factor is the quality of writing in your application. Apparently there are many candidates that have stellar backgrounds who "should" be a shoe-in, but who can't write very well. This was pretty surprising information to learn. 

Anyway, you select your grad school after you've been offered one of the fellowships. Most of the time universities don't really care about your GPA or GRE scores because they're concerned with the prestige of hosting Rangel and Pickering fellows. A girl from my university was offered a Rangel fellowship last year and she had a cumulative 3.2 GPA. Once the official acceptance list was released, Harvard kept bugging her to the point where she completed an application just so they would stop harassing her! Many universities offer extra stipends to entice fellows to select them. I was told the only reason that a fellow even needs to take the GRE is because it's a traditional requirement for grad school admittance, and that the universities honestly don't look too closely at it.

Rest assured, if you are a lucky recipient of a fellowship, you don't have to worry much about GPA or GRE. Your energy would be much better spent focusing on your writing within the application and preparing for your oral interview. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pickering fellow here and I would just like to add that GPA and GRE score do actually matter for applying to graduate school. Having the fellowship does not make you a shoo-in for programs, especially at highly-competitive schools/programs. While it is a welcome addition, it is not something that will make a program automatically select you over an equally-qualified candidate who isn't a fellow. Also, keep in mind that the fellowships do not cover all of the financial costs of attending most schools and only a few partner programs offer to cover the difference. You will need competitive GPA and GRE scores to secure the rest of the funding. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

Decided to reach out and meet everyone else who is applying to Rangel and Pickering this year-- would love to meet you all and get the comradery going that Ive seen in other years!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always lurked without an account, but I felt a responsibility to give future applicants the forum discussion that I so often looked to lol. Now that Rangel deadline has come, can anyone speak on their backgrounds and how they felt about the application process?

Edited by sambam96

On 9/25/2019 at 12:35 PM, sambam96 said:

I have always lurked without an account, but I felt a responsibility to give future applicants the forum discussion that I so often looked to lol. Now that Rangel deadline has come, can anyone speak on their backgrounds and how they felt about the application process?

Hello! I can speak to my background a little bit. I think I am not the traditional applicant to pickering/rangel-- I have absolutely no international experience.

I graduated in June 2018 with a degree in Economics and Mathematics with interests in international development. My senior year of college I was accepted into The Fletcher School through the MYF program that allows future Fletcher students to get two years of work experience before start their masters degree. Since graduating, I joined Teach For America and have been teaching math in a low-income school. I have always been interested in working in the foreign service but do not have the usual background-- no study abroad experience, etc. I know I have strong GPA, Letters of Rec, and I think my essay was fairly strong. I also think that I have already been accepted to Fletcher may help my application as well, but also have no idea. I have been lurking on the pickering/rangel threads for over two years now so I am excited to finally apply.

How about you?

Nice! Sounds like you have solid experience despite the lack of formal international experience. I similarly am a bit limited in my international experience. Aside form informal/personal travel, I did one study abroad that was more like a course with a short supplemental trip. I have one year of work experience outside of school in Congress. 2-4 languages (depending on the month lol), received aid in college, took part in a lot of extracurricular activities, strong service background--particularly with refugees, yada yada. My essay really focused on a narrative of having been to countries that have weak diplomatic relations with the U.S. and how my personal experiences of being a first-generation American motivate me/equip me to tackle such challenges as an FSO. For the sake of a strong narrative/story, I barely, if even, touched on other notable experiences that could help me/relate to the 13 dimensions -- something I've been reconsidering a lot post-deadline ?. After religiously reading fellow profiles from the last few years (bad idea, don't recommend), I don't know how competitive I am without CLS, Gilman, Fulbright, etc, but just waiting for that late Oct notification at this point! 

On 9/28/2019 at 2:31 PM, Mr. Jameson said:

Hello! I can speak to my background a little bit. I think I am not the traditional applicant to pickering/rangel-- I have absolutely no international experience.

I graduated in June 2018 with a degree in Economics and Mathematics with interests in international development. My senior year of college I was accepted into The Fletcher School through the MYF program that allows future Fletcher students to get two years of work experience before start their masters degree. Since graduating, I joined Teach For America and have been teaching math in a low-income school. I have always been interested in working in the foreign service but do not have the usual background-- no study abroad experience, etc. I know I have strong GPA, Letters of Rec, and I think my essay was fairly strong. I also think that I have already been accepted to Fletcher may help my application as well, but also have no idea. I have been lurking on the pickering/rangel threads for over two years now so I am excited to finally apply.

How about you?

Also was accepted to a grad program and differed, fingers crossed we have that going for us!

9 hours ago, sambam1234 said:

Nice! Sounds like you have solid experience despite the lack of formal international experience. I similarly am a bit limited in my international experience. Aside form informal/personal travel, I did one study abroad that was more like a course with a short supplemental trip. I have one year of work experience outside of school in Congress. 2-4 languages (depending on the month lol), received aid in college, took part in a lot of extracurricular activities, strong service background--particularly with refugees, yada yada. My essay really focused on a narrative of having been to countries that have weak diplomatic relations with the U.S. and how my personal experiences of being a first-generation American motivate me/equip me to tackle such challenges as an FSO. For the sake of a strong narrative/story, I barely, if even, touched on other notable experiences that could help me/relate to the 13 dimensions -- something I've been reconsidering a lot post-deadline ?. After religiously reading fellow profiles from the last few years (bad idea, don't recommend), I don't know how competitive I am without CLS, Gilman, Fulbright, etc, but just waiting for that late Oct notification at this point! 

My essays were all about the parallels between teaching and the 13 dimensions of an FSO and how all of them are essential characteristics of being a good teacher. Haha I made the mistake of looking at fellow profiles too, which is why i feel like I am not the strongest applicant. I believe that I have only ever seen one profile that did not mention the fellows international experience, which tells me I am the only person without any. I am hoping that my background in Public service will help my candidacy. 

Did you apply to pickering and rangel or just Rangel?

• 2 weeks later...

On the Pickering page it listed October 25th, but Rangel is still listed as "late-October". Considering that we submitted Rangel after Pickering, I can't imagine Rangel being earlier? But then considering they're almost always sent out on Fridays, would they be released the same day?

On 6/26/2019 at 8:41 PM, Sine said:

Hi, all! ?

m7752ne is absolutely correct. From everything that I've read online and from conversations with DIR's and my university's grant advisor, the single most important factor is the quality of writing in your application. Apparently there are many candidates that have stellar backgrounds who "should" be a shoe-in, but who can't write very well. This was pretty surprising information to learn. 

Anyway, you select your grad school after you've been offered one of the fellowships. Most of the time universities don't really care about your GPA or GRE scores because they're concerned with the prestige of hosting Rangel and Pickering fellows. A girl from my university was offered a Rangel fellowship last year and she had a cumulative 3.2 GPA. Once the official acceptance list was released, Harvard kept bugging her to the point where she completed an application just so they would stop harassing her! Many universities offer extra stipends to entice fellows to select them. I was told the only reason that a fellow even needs to take the GRE is because it's a traditional requirement for grad school admittance, and that the universities honestly don't look too closely at it.

Rest assured, if you are a lucky recipient of a fellowship, you don't have to worry much about GPA or GRE. Your energy would be much better spent focusing on your writing within the application and preparing for your oral interview. 

This gives me so much hope! I have been getting emails from Harvard like once or twice a month now, and I just hope and pray I get selected so they can also keep bugging me lol