HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Question about your rejection letter. Did they encourage you to apply again and stay connected? I'm wondering if the rejection letter is a standard template sent to everyone or if they took a bit of time to differentiate the rejections (even if they cut and paste different statements)? In the end, I know it does not matter much, everyone is talented who applied, but it might cheer me up a bit if they truly want me to apply again ?

Edited by Jleighski123

Just now, Jleighski123 said:

Question about your rejection letter. Did they encourage you to apply again and stay connected? I'm wondering if the rejection letter is a standard template sent to everyone or if they took a bit of time to differentiate the rejections (even if they cut and paste different statements)? In the end, I know it does not matter much, everyone is talented who applied, but it might cheer me up a bit if they truly want me to apply again ?

Yes, it encouraged me to apply again and stay connected. It might be the standard template. 

2 minutes ago, Jleighski123 said:

Yes, I also got the encouragement to apply again and stay connected. I think it's the standard template.

It's just a little frustrating because I don't even know what parts of my application were comparatively weaker, and/or if it would even be worth applying again (especially if they ask all applicants to re-apply).

Alas. Congrats again to all who got in!

22 minutes ago, hgsegogogo said:

Congrats!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Thank you so much and I am so happy for you!!!

Peruvian, service design practitioner.

No GRE, 7 years of experience in the public sector (Education Ministry in Peru), private sector and academia.

My grades from school are not in American GPA, so I wasn't requiered to convert it to it. But was on the top 3% when I graduated.

I also attached a small portfolio in pdf with links to my portfolio: www.hadzich.com

I was rejected to the Lifelong Kindergarten Group in M.I.T's Media Lab this winter, so I know how rejection feels, just remember it does not define you, you are all amazing people and not getting in doesent mean you are less. There are many things you cannot control. 

Edited by lmhadzich

I got rejected too unfortunately. I wish there was a way to find out why because I felt I had a strong background. Also hearing about someone being on the waitlist makes me wonder - damn, I didn't even get into the waitlist? Their letter is templated for sure: 

I regret to inform you that you have not been offered admission to the Harvard Graduate School of Education for graduate study during the 2020-21 academic year. In response to our decision to offer an online degree opportunity, we received an unexpected—and unprecedented—number of applications. As a result, we were faced with the challenging task of having to select a small number of applicants from an enormously talented and deep pool. 

Although we are not able to offer you admission this year, we recognize that education needs talented and motivated individuals like you more than ever before. We hope that we can still stay connected to you through our many events and opportunities available to education professionals and the public.

It is also possible to apply again next year through a simplified application process. Should this be of interest, I encourage you to visit the HGSE website in early fall when we will have information about our degree program offerings for 2021-22 and beyond, as well as a live application.

We appreciate your interest in our programs, and we know you’ll continue to make a difference on behalf of learners around the world. 

20 minutes ago, Physed14 said:

I'm not sure if it is that they are not all that inclusive as much as it is they had a higher number of amazing summer applicants than expected and a lower number of slots to fill than expected. I bet if all of us that got rejected in this summer round were to apply again during the regular admission cycle next year, we'd see a much higher acceptance rate from the same pool of people

I don't want to complain, but I honestly feel being professionally discriminated against here in the US. Prior to my relocation to the USA 5 years ago, I always felt at the top of my game and ready to change the world (I had won multiple scholarships, awards, got in prestigious programs...). Then I entered the USA on a spousal visa and was barred from working for 5 years. I tried to compensate for the employment gaps by creating hugely successful projects that have helped change the mentality and advance skills of the young generations of my home country. Also, I've written 9 award-winning books that have been used in national high school leaving exams. Still, when I apply for job opportunities in the US now that I've recently obtained a green card, I hardly ever get a response or an invitation for an interview, even though I've previously worked for companies and universities in Europe, Asia, and Canada. That's why I've applied for a master's degree at Harvard, hoping that having a master's degree from the US would help me restart my career. But the rejection letter from Harvard makes me feel completely hopeless. 

Edited by N.H.

Just now, Jleighski123 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a standard rejection template - but that doesn't mean you weren't really close to being admitted. I agree with @Physed14 - I think we would see more of us admitted in a regular application cycle. It will be really interesting to see the stats on this round. Well done to the few who got in, that's so awesome and I'm so excited for you! And for those of us who were rejected, I reckon this was a truly unusual round for everyone involved and it's cool we all had a go. I'm excited to see you in a future round of applications, or even - ? - on campus...

Just now, JConan said:

I got rejected too unfortunately. I wish there was a way to find out why because I felt I had a strong background. Also hearing about someone being on the waitlist makes me wonder - damn, I didn't even get into the waitlist? Their letter is templated for sure: 

I regret to inform you that you have not been offered admission to the Harvard Graduate School of Education for graduate study during the 2020-21 academic year. In response to our decision to offer an online degree opportunity, we received an unexpected—and unprecedented—number of applications. As a result, we were faced with the challenging task of having to select a small number of applicants from an enormously talented and deep pool. 

Although we are not able to offer you admission this year, we recognize that education needs talented and motivated individuals like you more than ever before. We hope that we can still stay connected to you through our many events and opportunities available to education professionals and the public.

It is also possible to apply again next year through a simplified application process. Should this be of interest, I encourage you to visit the HGSE website in early fall when we will have information about our degree program offerings for 2021-22 and beyond, as well as a live application.

We appreciate your interest in our programs, and we know you’ll continue to make a difference on behalf of learners around the world. 

Same, JConan! I felt I had a strong background, and would also love to know why, as much as I understand that this is wishful thinking. And same thoughts regarding the waitlist!

Just now, N.H. said:

I don't want to complain, but I honestly feel being professionally discriminated against here in the US due to its system. Prior to my relocation to the USA 5 years ago, I always felt at the top of my game and ready to change the world (I had won multiple scholarships, awards, and got in prestigious programs). Then I entered the USA on a spousal visa and was barred from working for 5 years. I tried to compensate for the employment gaps by creating hugely successful projects that have helped change the mentality and advance skills of the young generations of my home country. Also, I've written 9 award-winning books that have been used in national high school leaving exams. Still, when I apply for job opportunities in the US, I hardly ever get a response or an invitation for an interview, even though I've previously worked for companies and universities in Europe, Asia, and Canada. That's why I've applied for a master's degree at Harvard, hoping that having a master's degree from the US would help me restart my career. But the rejection letter from Harvard makes me feel completely hopeless. 

I am sad too. But don't give up!!  This rejection letter is not your end story 

I am not giving up. I am applying this fall :)

3 minutes ago, lmhadzich said:

Peruvian, service designer practitioner.

No GRE, 7 years of experience in the public sector (Education Ministry in Peru), private sector and academia.

My grades from school are not in American GPA, so I wasn't requiered to convert it to it. But was on the top 3% when I graduated.

I also attached a small portfolio in pdf with links to my portfolio: www.hadzich.com

I was rejected to the Lifelong Kindergarten Group in M.I.T's Media Lab this winter, so I know how rejection feels, just remember it does not define you, you are all amazing people and not getting in doesent mean you are less. There are many things you cannot control. 

1 minute ago, hgsegogogo said:

Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing your work experience or undergrad GPA? 

I just updated my previous post.

I got a rejection letter, as well to the HEP. Harvard's loss! Either way, I will be applying next year because only the 19k (if lucky) was not enough for me for a year program. I had higher ed experience, great stats, very strong letter of recs and high GPA. I seen there is hardly any Native American Latinx students (as myself) in past year cohorts. I wish they would enrich their cohort. 

Yep, that is a standard rejection letter. Remember y'all, when one door closes, another one opens. 

Love the support cohort! Congrats to who got in.

Edited by dangelykarla

4 minutes ago, MBEd said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a standard rejection template - but that doesn't mean you weren't really close to being admitted. I agree with @Physed14 - I think we would see more of us admitted in a regular application cycle. It will be really interesting to see the stats on this round. Well done to the few who got in, that's so awesome and I'm so excited for you! And for those of us who were rejected, I reckon this was a truly unusual round for everyone involved and it's cool we all had a go. I'm excited to see you in a future round of applications, or even - ? - on campus...

No bubble burst MBEd... I appreciate the honesty.  I agree with you, better odds this fall. Do you think they will require GRE? If so, I better get going on that front! 

6 minutes ago, N.H. said:

I don't want to complain, but I honestly feel being professionally discriminated against here in the US. Prior to my relocation to the USA 5 years ago, I always felt at the top of my game and ready to change the world (I had won multiple scholarships, awards, got in prestigious programs...). Then I entered the USA on a spousal visa and was barred from working for 5 years. I tried to compensate for the employment gaps by creating hugely successful projects that have helped change the mentality and advance skills of the young generations of my home country. Also, I've written 9 award-winning books that have been used in national high school leaving exams. Still, when I apply for job opportunities in the US now that I've recently obtained a green card, I hardly ever get a response or an invitation for an interview, even though I've previously worked for companies and universities in Europe, Asia, and Canada. That's why I've applied for a master's degree at Harvard, hoping that having a master's degree from the US would help me restart my career. But the rejection letter from Harvard makes me feel completely hopeless. 

@N.H. discrimination is real in America and so I hear you and feel for you. I have struggled with feeling accepted in the US myself. You have done some incredible things and I hope you will continue on that path. People with certain backgrounds and styles of communication are prioritized here, and depending on the country you are from, that is different in other places. 

9 minutes ago, MBEd said:

I'd be interested to know if they will continue with some online component moving forward in the future. COVID pushed things in this direction, I wonder if it opened a box that will be hard for universities like Harvard to close again. Given what seems like an unprecedented number of people willing to do (and pay) for a Harvard degree online, I wonder what will happen moving forward. I know for me, my Harvard dream dies here without distance learning as leaving my job mid-career to move across the world to Cambridge for a year won't ever be an option (as lovely as it would be)

12 minutes ago, N.H. said:

Please don't feel hopeless. This admission cycle was not fair game. There was only few spots open and many applications. I have worked at Berkeley Law Admissions and they are just regular folks making a decision. Their decision does not define who you are. Try once again, but this time more schools at once. 

35 minutes ago, Physed14 said:

I'm not sure if it is that they are not all that inclusive as much as it is they had a higher number of amazing summer applicants than expected and a lower number of slots to fill than expected. I bet if all of us that got rejected in this summer round were to apply again during the regular admission cycle next year, we'd see a much higher acceptance rate from the same pool of people

I think that's what happened and I hope that's the case for next round.

I got denied from SSP. Ah well but it was great experience applying and will apply again next this fall for next year.

The question is how can we better our application for next year when we just have 6 months to improve? I am sure GRE will not be required again.

Do you guys have any insights on re-applying?  

8 minutes ago, Jimmy54 said:

The question is how can we better our application for next year when we just have 6 months to improve? I am sure GRE will not be required again.

Do you guys have any insights on re-applying?  

I thought GRE is a requirement?

Is the GRE a required part of the application?
Due to limitations caused by COVID-19, the GRE is optional for applicants to the online Ed.M. for fall 2020 enrollment. All applicants for enrollment in the 2021-2022 academic year are required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. Doctor of Education Leadership (Ed.L.D.) applicants ONLY may choose to submit GMAT scores in lieu of GRE scores.