HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Hi everyone! I think it's probably not too early to start this HGSE 2020 thread. I'm an entrepreneur of several companies related to education in China, now I'm thinking of applying to Harvard to pursue my master's degree. I'd love to have feedback on my stats or background.

Applying for TIE master's program

Program: TIE

GRE score: Registered for July.14th. Took the old GRE in 2006, got V: 710 Q: 800 AW: 4.5. But a bit concerned because I've been out of the standardized test zone for quite a while.

TOEFL score: Not taken yet. Registered for Sept. 22nd.

Work experience: 1 year as an English teacher for K-12 students in a for-profit company. Started my own English training company in 2012. Started online teaching through both platforms and uploading teaching videos and audios in 2015. Initiated another edtech company in 2017.

Undergrad information: Electronic Engineering at Tianjin University in China(used to be top 10 universities), got a BS(Bachelor of Science) degree.

Undergrad GPA: Quite unsatisfying of approximately 2.5, according to WES. Mostly 60-70 out of 100.

LORs: 2 from professors who have worked or shared experiences with me from my university, 1 from my ex-colleague as the superintendent of my department.

What other schools are you applying to: Columbia TC, UPenn, Stanford, UNC, NYU

I knew nothing about graduate school until I decided to apply in Feb. 2019, so some views might be naive. Feel free to point out anything that's weird. Best of luck!

And plus, I am deeply worried that my GPA would hamper my application. I know Harvard said 'whether you fit for the program paramounts', the old stereotype still goes with 'Harvard is looking for the best students' maybe anyone can demystify this notion? Thanks!

Edited by Leo Liao

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, everyone! I was hoping to apply the last couple of years, but I got caught up in work and some family issues and couldn't get my materials ready in time. I'd love any feedback on my stats or background! 

Applying for PhD 

Program/Concentration: HDLT
GRE Score: V 620, Q 790, AWA: 4.5 (Took the GRE in 2010 with the old scoring system, so I have to retake it)
GPA: 3.25 undergrad(last 2 years – 3.8) / 4.00 grad
Work Experience: 1 year at an edtech company as an instructional designer, 3 years founding and running an AI healthtech company(company was acquired), .5 year working at an edtech Startup Accelerator, currently working at an education non-profit
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): top 15 US Public University / Columbia(TC, M.A. in Instructional Technology)
Research Experience: 3 years in 3 different labs for undergrad(2 cognitive psych, 1 social psych), 2 years at 3 different labs at Stanford(3 cognitive psych), 1 year in 2 different labs at TC(1 human development and 1 educational games), 1 poster presentation in a different field(computer science/AI).
LoR/SoP: 2 from professors I did research with, 1 from my current boss. SoP focused on both teaching technical/coding skills, and using AI for generative educational software
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: TC, Penn, Stanford, NYU, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge

HGSE rejected me in 2013 when I applied for my masters(got into both Penn and TC with scholarships). Hoping I'm a stronger applicant this time around, but I still need to study and take my GREs(I've been out of the standardized test game for a while so I'm a bit concerned). I'd be more than happy to tell anyone else that's also applying to TC things about programs/student life there.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Hiya, 

glad to see this years application cycle  up - looking forward to anxiously waiting together! 

Applying for the PhD program (CIS) 

GPA UG: 3.60 / GPA Masters: 3.67 - went to the top public health school in the world if that helps at all. 

GRE: 165 (Q), 165 (V), 4.5 (AW) 

Teaching experience: English in Cambodia (1 year), americorps (6 months) 

Work experience: manager at a nonprofit, health policy, patient advocacy and health education (2.5 years); legal assistant in Ghana 

research experience

2+ years of qualitative research in LMIC’s and research  uptake of maternal and child health educational materials, sexual education with adolescents, child stimulation education, and best practices on how to teach slum tenants best sanitation practices by landowners . 

1 year creating an online interactive toolkit database to distribute to policy makers to learn about different mortality and morbidity outcomes for adolescent health and education. 

Publications:

2 manuscripts will be published in high profile journals  in November

3 manuscripts pending and will be published in December (after the application cycle) 

I’m moving from the health field (got a masters in public health) to education because I was much more interested in how people learned health concepts but also hope the AdCom doesn’t find it odd that I’m  moving from the health field to education. I feel like I have pretty strong LORs from the research projects I’ve been on and courses in my masters class and a very solid personal statement to talk about my specific interests. 

Fingers crossed for everyone and best of luck. Always here for moral support! (I can send you cute pictures of my wheaten terrier if you need some TLC, just DM me!!) 

Edited by Coop24

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I can’t wait to read about everyone’s stats and aspirations, and I’m excited to share a similar interest in HGSE with so many unique individuals. I’m nervous about being considered for my desired program, as I am coming from a public college background. 

Desired program: Applying for HDP (masters)

GPA: 3.94 undergraduate - I will be graduating in 2020 with a degree in Psychology 

Dean’s list/ high honors

GRE: TBD, scheduled for early November 

Work experience: 5 1/2 years working in early childhood education at two different non- profit centers. Experience as an ABA therapist at Gateways, working one- on- one with children with autism and learning disabilities. Volunteer experience as a foster care case reviewer for DCF (Massachusetts department of children and families). 

Additional: I have done independent research on collaborative problem- solving models and developed and implemented individualized child assessments based on child needs and the ITRS. I have created interactive resources for families and staff at my center about the importance of gross motor development in infancy, creating a culturally diverse and inclusive environment, and fostering efficient parent- teacher partnerships. I was previously hired at a Harvard- affiliated CC center on the business school campus, however I declined due to financial reasons restricting my ability to move to Cambridge at the time. 

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated ?. I’m currently 22 years old, and am debating applying this December or waiting another year. 

Hi everyone! I am looking to get some feedback and advice for applying to HGSE.

Program: TEP

GRE score: Registered for the November exam.

Work experience: 5 years as an artillery officer in the US Army. One deployment to Iraq. Two overseas tours

Undergrad: BA in Political Science from a T25 university (GPA 3.8)

Grad school: MA in Political Science from T5 university (GPA 3.6)

Current: JD expected from T20 law school (GPA 3.3)

Teaching experience: None ? Some private tutoring here and there, but nothing formal.

Other experience: Summer internship with local public defender

LoRs: Planning to get 3 from law school professors

Questions:

1. Would it be okay to have all 3 letters from law professors/supervising attorneys, or should I try to reach out to my old professors from undergrad and military commanders?
  2. How much weight would be given to my law school GPA? It's much lower than my other two GPAs because it was on a strict curve.
  3. What sort of internship/experience should I pursue during my last summer before graduation? Another legal internship? TA for a professor?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am finally taking the plunge and applying to HGSE. Hello, all! 

Program: Ed.M: MBE

GRE score: Registered to take it on November 12th. Will update then. 

Work experience: 10 years as a journalist, 5 years as an editor, 2 years in education policy research and 1 year teaching high school. 

Undergrad: B.A. in Anthropology from an Ivy; 3.51 GPA

Prior to transferring there, I attended a two-year college and earned an A.A. w/ a 3.84 GPA at that institution. 

Teaching experience: One year formally teaching high school, and an additional semester teaching at a summer school program where I taught 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade-level English.

Other experience: Completed a prestigious public policy internship program in D.C. after earning my B.A., and am an AmeriCorps/TFA alum.

LoRs: One from my honors thesis advisor at the Ivy I attended (the thesis was about how anthropology and neuroscience converged to give better insight on the education system and curriculum). Another from my department head at the policy think tank I worked at studying education policy. And (hopefully) a third one from my Teach For America coach.

Publications: I have two book manuscripts nearing publication (one is a textbook), but they will not be out by the time my application will be submitted. I'm still including them, alongside a representative selection of my various published articles from my journalism days, on my CV I am providing. I also gave a talk on an education-related topic back in undergrad that I am also including on there.

Any and all insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Anon1138

Hello Everyone, I figured I would join the chat with my information before I give my two cents on some of your questions.

Program/Concentration: Ph.D. EPPE
GRE Score: V 158, Q 164, AW 5
GPA:  AA from Local Community College - 3.92. Completed after Bachelor's to add additional teacher license.

BS in History and Political Science Education at large, public research institution - 3.8 

M.Ed in Higher Education Administration at different large, public research institution - 4.0 
Work Experience: 2 years High School Social Studies teacher in rural school. 3 years as an Academic Adviser (2 years for College of Education and Human Development, 1 year for the Nursing Department)
Teaching Experience: 2 years of High School. 6 college courses primarily Intro to Education. Guest lecturer for Poverty in Education every semester. Adjunct (1 semester) - College Algebra
Research Experience: 1 publication (Civil Engineering - when I was studying engineering in undergraduate). 3 regional poster/oral presentations. 2 national poster/oral presentations. 
LoR/SoP: 2 from professors I did research with. One of whom is the Dean of Education where I did my graduate studies. 1 from the President of the local community college that I did program evaluation work for. 

I look forward to riding this roller coaster with all of you. 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, Tanishadanielle said:

Hi everyone! I can’t wait to read about everyone’s stats and aspirations, and I’m excited to share a similar interest in HGSE with so many unique individuals. I’m nervous about being considered for my desired program, as I am coming from a public college background. 

GPA: 3.94 undergraduate - I will be graduating in 2020 with a degree in Psychology 

Dean’s list/ high honors

Work experience: 5 1/2 years working in early childhood education at two different non- profit centers. Experience as an ABA therapist at Gateways, working one- on- one with children with autism and learning disabilities. Volunteer experience as a foster care case reviewer for DCF (Massachusetts department of children and families). 

Additional: I have done independent research on collaborative problem- solving models and developed and implemented individualized child assessments based on child needs and the ITRS. I have created interactive resources for families and staff at my center about the importance of gross motor development in infancy, creating a culturally diverse and inclusive environment, and fostering efficient parent- teacher partnerships. I was previously hired at a Harvard- affiliated CC center on the business school campus, however I declined due to financial reasons restricting my ability to move to Cambridge at the time. 

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated ?. I’m currently 22 years old, and am debating applying this December or waiting another year. 

I think your stats and background are incredible, and that for a Master's level degree, you seem more than ready to jump in for this admissions cycle. As an additional note, I am genuinely heartened and impressed by the work you listed regarding individual assessment. It is very needed! 

On 10/20/2019 at 1:01 AM, Anon1138 said:

I think your stats and background are incredible, and that for a Master's level degree, you seem more than ready to jump in for this admissions cycle. As an additional note, I am genuinely heartened and impressed by the work you listed regarding individual assessment. It is very needed! 

Thank you, it means a lot to hear positive feedback! I’ve done my research on the specific demands of the program as well as how the Ed school supports student growth in diverse ways. As someone who is passionate about both education and research, I feel as though I have the skills necessary for such a rigorous program. My only set backs are my public college background and lack of professional research/ lab assistant experience.

As I was reading through your post, I was very impressed. You’ve accomplished a lot in your time as an undergraduate student as well as post graduation. I feel as though shifting from anthropology to MBE will come with ease to you, and you likely have much to contribute to discussions and the cohort. Knowledge in physiology and diverse cultures will merge well with neuroscience, educational curriculum, and policies. Best of luck!

Hi all! I’m a double HGSE alumnus (masters mid 2000s and doctorate mid 2010s), and just wanted to wish everyone luck! I am a professor at a large state university now, but I very vividly remember checking these boards once upon an application season. 

I also wanted to encourage you all to diversify your application portfolio as much as possible. I obviously think HGSE is amazing, and I enjoyed my time as a student and adjunct there...but it’s not for everyone. The pace is fast and the pressure can be quite intense!

You’ll find the right fit somewhere. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 7:40 PM, Anon1138 said:

Anyone have any insight on choosing recommenders? Such as, professional mentors vs. academic mentors if one had to choose between just one or the other?

I would say that it depends on which one has a better understanding of your research interests and ability to produce that research. Based on the information that you provided above, you have been out of undergraduate for a few years, so I am guessing that your professional mentor would have a better knowledge to your more recent interests and work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Excited to be on this journey with you all. Been watching this forum for while. I applied a few years ago to HGSE, but unfortunately was not accepted. Hopefully the news will be better this time around. ?

Program/Concentration: SSP
GRE Score: V: 158, Q: 156, AW: 4.0 (just got the scores back from taking the test in mid-Nov)
GPA: Undergrad: 3.2, Grad: ~3.5 (from two master's degrees and a few other classes here and there)
Work Experience: Several years working research (some in biomedical, some in education). One year as an editorial assistant on a journal. Currently working as a data analyst at a university.
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Undergrad: Public,  Grad: 1 Private, 1 Public
Research Experience: Several years of research in various areas. About15 or so presentations at various regional/national conferences over the years. A handful of publications (mix of both peer-reviewed journal articles and book/monograph chapters, though only one of these as the first author). Currently working on a couple of independent research projects with my current data analyst work that should wrap up by this summer.
LoR/SoP: 2 from former faculty members (both from grad school), one from former colleague that I have worked with, done research with, and presented with multiple times at conferences.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: It is HGSE or bust for me.

I looked over the different programs at HGSE, and while what I want to study and work on could kinda fit in with a couple of the programs they have, I think the Specialized Studies Program is ideal for me to dive in what I really want to explore. Such an amazing opportunity!

Best of luck to us all as we tackle this journey together!

Edited by mjsmith
Typos....oops!

17 hours ago, mjsmith said:

Hello everyone!

Excited to be on this journey with you all. Been watching this forum for while. I applied a few years ago to HGSE, but unfortunately was not accepted. Hopefully the news will be better this time around. ?

GRE Score: V: 158, Q: 156, AW: 4.0 (just got the scores back from taking the test in mid-Nov)
GPA: Undergrad: 3.2, Grad: ~3.5 (from two master's degrees and a few other classes here and there)
Work Experience: Several years working research (some in biomedical, some in education). One year as an editorial assistant on a journal. Currently working as a data analyst at a university.
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Undergrad: Public,  Grad: 1 Private, 1 Public
Research Experience: Several years of research in various areas. About15 or so presentations at various regional/national conferences over the years. A handful of publications (mix of both peer-reviewed journal articles and book/monograph chapters, though only one of these as the first author). Currently working on a couple of independent research projects with my current data analyst work that should wrap up by this summer.
LoR/SoP: 2 from former faculty members (both from grad school), one from former colleague that I have worked with, done research with, and presented with multiple times at conferences.

I looked over the different programs at HGSE, and while what I want to study and work on could kinda fit in with a couple of the programs they have, I think the Specialized Studies Program is ideal for me to dive in what I really want to explore. Such an amazing opportunity!

Good to have you aboard! 

On 12/9/2019 at 1:48 AM, mjsmith said:

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the forum! I feel as though you will be a strong candidate for the SSP this application cycle. You’ve demonstrated academic ability as well as research ability that supports your commitment to rigorous and diverse studies. I am in the same application boat as you, in terms of it being HGSE or bust for now. After months of intense searching, I’ve yet to find a program or institution that aligns with both my academic interests and professional goals.

On 12/14/2019 at 7:53 PM, Tanishadanielle said:

Welcome to the forum! I feel as though you will be a strong candidate for the SSP this application cycle. You’ve demonstrated academic ability as well as research ability that supports your commitment to rigorous and diverse studies. I am in the same application boat as you, in terms of it being HGSE or bust for now. After months of intense searching, I’ve yet to find a program or institution that aligns with both my academic interests and professional goals.

Thank you so much for the welcome and the support! Also am glad to see I'm not the only one in the "HGSE or Bust" boat here.

On 12/14/2019 at 7:54 PM, Tanishadanielle said:

As the application deadlines are quickly approaching, would anyone be interested in swapping SOPs? I could use some advice and I’d love to peer review for others. 

Hey Tanishadanielle! Happy to swap SOP's with you if you like.

Check your messages. ?

Hey, everyone! Thanks for sharing your stats and guidance on this thread. I'd love any feedback on my stats or background! 

Program/Concentration: TIE
GRE Score: V 155, Q 158, AWA: 5.0
GPA: 3.33/4.00 undergrad (GPA in the last 2 years was 3.82/4.00). Studied engineering.
Work Experience: 1 year in operational consulting at a bank, 2.5 years in management consulting with extra curricular experience for over 3 years in education-related initiatives (through a non-profit board).
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 20 schools in the world, #1 school in my country 
Research Experience: 3 summers on 3 different projects (2 human factors, 1 data analytics)
LoR/SoP: 1 from professor I did research with, 1 from senior manager at work, 1 from a senior leader in the non-profit board (who can speak to my education-related initiatives). SoP focused on STEAM education for under-represented communities and the importance of critical-thinking and tech skills.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Just HGSE

I am nervous about (a) my limited direct experience in the education sector, even though I was involved in promoting STEAM education throughout my entire college career (b) GRE scores (wrote it in early Dec to meet HGSE's timeline, prepped for less than 2 weeks). Did a campus visit and loved the vibe at HGSE, so really hoping for the best.

Would love to hear your feedback.

Best of luck, all!

On 12/17/2019 at 4:40 PM, EhCanadian said:

Hey, everyone! Thanks for sharing your stats and guidance on this thread. I'd love any feedback on my stats or background! 

Program/Concentration: TIE
GRE Score: V 155, Q 158, AWA: 5.0
GPA: 3.33/4.00 undergrad (GPA in the last 2 years was 3.82/4.00). Studied engineering.
Work Experience: 1 year in operational consulting at a bank, 2.5 years in management consulting with extra curricular experience for over 3 years in education-related initiatives (through a non-profit board).
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 20 schools in the world, #1 school in my country 
Research Experience: 3 summers on 3 different projects (2 human factors, 1 data analytics)
LoR/SoP: 1 from professor I did research with, 1 from senior manager at work, 1 from a senior leader in the non-profit board (who can speak to my education-related initiatives). SoP focused on STEAM education for under-represented communities and the importance of critical-thinking and tech skills.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Just HGSE

I am nervous about (a) my limited direct experience in the education sector, even though I was involved in promoting STEAM education throughout my entire college career (b) GRE scores (wrote it in early Dec to meet HGSE's timeline, prepped for less than 2 weeks). Did a campus visit and loved the vibe at HGSE, so really hoping for the best.

Would love to hear your feedback.

Best of luck, all!

Hi! I think you have great stats for this application cycle, and your intension to promote and foster STEAM education is clear. Although you have not worked in the field of education formally, your understanding of the bridge between technology and education is evident. I feel as though you can voice your motives, ideas, and desires within a statement of purpose that is structured around a particular concept in research. Many applicants who are excepted into MA programs do not have occupational background in education, and they are able to express their purpose through the remainder of an application. I also wouldn’t worry about your GRE scores, as your analytical writing score is high and your GPA is high.

20 hours ago, Tanishadanielle said:

Hi! I think you have great stats for this application cycle, and your intension to promote and foster STEAM education is clear. Although you have not worked in the field of education formally, your understanding of the bridge between technology and education is evident. I feel as though you can voice your motives, ideas, and desires within a statement of purpose that is structured around a particular concept in research. Many applicants who are excepted into MA programs do not have occupational background in education, and they are able to express their purpose through the remainder of an application. I also wouldn’t worry about your GRE scores, as your analytical writing score is high and your GPA is high.

@Tanishadanielle Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate your feedback. Yeah, I think I'll need to focus on ONE area of passion within STEAM and articulate it clearly.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, Tanishadanielle said:

Dean’s list/ high honors

Your profile is remarkable! I definitely think you should apply for the upcoming year. From the above, it is apparent that you have a diverse set of experiences. Perhaps when you're writing your story, it would help if you shed light on why you chose to work in these areas, what you gained from it and what you wish to pursue in the future!

Wishing you all the best!! Keep up the great work.

4 hours ago, EhCanadian said:

Your profile is remarkable! I definitely think you should apply for the upcoming year. From the above, it is apparent that you have a diverse set of experiences. Perhaps when you're writing your story, it would help if you shed light on why you chose to work in these areas, what you gained from it and what you wish to pursue in the future!

Wishing you all the best!! Keep up the great work.

Thank you for your feedback! If you ever want to trade and review statements of purpose, let me know!

Hi all,

Excitedly/nervously/hopefully just submitting my application...was worried when one LOR writer was taking a LOT longer than they said they would, but got the confirmation it is in now.

Fingers crossed for all of us when decisions are made in the coming weeks and months.

Glad to have this virtual community while going through all of this (and through all that is to come as well)!