HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Hey all,

Just a reminder that for the applicants submitting a FAFSA application for financial aid (I think just for U.S. citizens applying, but I could be wrong), HGSE says it needs to be submitted by Feb 21st.

Getting closer! Rooting for all of us here!

37 minutes ago, PENNYLIUPPPPP said:

I believe it will be out on 3.6, since last year was 3.1 and last last year was 3.2. It should be the first Friday in March, if they follow the streak  this year 

I think this'll be the day too, for the same reason PENNYLIUPPPPP says. This has been the pattern for like 6 or 7 years going through the past HGSE threads here on GradCafe.

Have people started receiving letters from other colleges yet? I heard back from Tufts and Boston College this week. I'm hoping that HGSE will just decide to send things out earlier than March 6 haha.

Also is anyone else applying for TEP?

Hey guys! 

Hope all of you are hearing good news soon! I'm planning on applying for the next cycle...2021. But I wanted to post my stats (so far) here and see if you guys have any recommendations as to how competitive of an applicant I am, and any tips for what I can do to strengthen my application!! 

Program/Concentration: EdM Education Policy & Mgmt
GRE Score: V: 162, Q: 160, AW: 5.0 (retaking in June)
GPA: Undergrad:
3.752 , cum laude (not education related major...)
Work Experience: 1.5 years as an education consultant in China, independent English writing tutor in China + volunteering at a migrant school teaching English (that's it... I'm worried about my lack of work experience)
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Undergrad: Private, top 30 in US
LoR/SoP: 2 from former faculty members from undergrad (1 professor, 1 academic advisor)  + 1 from my current boss (which I believe will be strong)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Considering Columbia TC, Stanford, UPenn

1.Does HGSE like to see research experiences? I'm worried about that aspect...HGSE is definitely my dream program, everything about it fits my goals. 

2. Have you heard of any program under HGSE that is relatively "easier" to get accepted into?

Thanks! Best of luck guys.

1 hour ago, Leo Liao said:

Anxiously waiting for my HGSE admissions decision...approximately 15 days to go~~~good luck people!

Plus, I got my rejection letter by Stanford GSE today.

I think the decision will be released on 3.6 based on past years' pattern..

Feel free to correct me if anyone has insight knowledge. 

4 hours ago, Betty Xie said:

I think the decision will be released on 3.6 based on past years' pattern..

Feel free to correct me if anyone has insight knowledge. 

Haha sure! The first half part of the message was edited a week ago, but somehow it popped up on this message~I suppose it will be released around Mar. 6th. Good luck!

57 minutes ago, seskande said:

I wonder around what time on Friday do they release results. Any idea?

i think in past years it's been sometime after 4:30 PM EST (around 4:30-6:30)? A few of my friends have been admitted to the program in the last few years and that's what they told me!

1 hour ago, TobyMoreLand said:

Do we know if they send affirmative and negative decisions all at the same time? Or is absence of notification all one would get in the case of non-admission? 

When I applied a few years ago, they sent all notifications at the same time. Doubt this has changed, but perhaps a more recent applicant can confirm this?

Hey Folks, 

I'm sending positive energy to all who have been following this thread for the past few months. Today is (most likely) going to be the day that many of us have been waiting years for. Emotions of anxiety, fear of failure, uncertainty, self-doubt have flooded my mind and body for the past 48 hours as we pull up to the final stretch, but all i want to say is this--

you are all intelligent, ambitious educators, and i'm so thrilled to have selected a field filled with so many passionate individuals. Wherever we land, i am wishing you all the best and the most success in the future! 

Good luck to all! 

2 hours ago, franklingiraffe said:

Hey Folks, 

I'm sending positive energy to all who have been following this thread for the past few months. Today is (most likely) going to be the day that many of us have been waiting years for. Emotions of anxiety, fear of failure, uncertainty, self-doubt have flooded my mind and body for the past 48 hours as we pull up to the final stretch, but all i want to say is this--

you are all intelligent, ambitious educators, and i'm so thrilled to have selected a field filled with so many passionate individuals. Wherever we land, i am wishing you all the best and the most success in the future! 

Good luck to all! 

Thank you for those kind words!! I really needed that today since I've been stressing out all week. Good luck to you!

2 hours ago, franklingiraffe said:

Hey Folks, 

Good luck to all! 

Thank you for these wishes!