HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

3 hours ago, Rosebud1313 said:

Next big question ?... Anyone have any idea when financial aid information will be released?  

If you go on to the accepted students' portal, it says something like "by the end of march." Which is actually a bit stressful--that's not too long of a turn around before April 15, ya know?

Yup, its says:

You should receive your aid package in the last week of March or first week of April.

Applicants who have completed their financial aid applications will be notified when their financial aid package is available to view on the HGSE Student Aid Portal. This follows your admissions packet.

ARGH! ?

23 hours ago, tunic_youth said:

Yup, its says:

You should receive your aid package in the last week of March or first week of April.

Applicants who have completed their financial aid applications will be notified when their financial aid package is available to view on the HGSE Student Aid Portal. This follows your admissions packet.

ARGH! ?

Yeah, that's even worse. Does anyone know why the turn around is so quick and/or does anyone have some tips about deciding to make a commitment after you've gotten your package? I'm a single woman (no dependents, etc.) who has been living in Boston paycheck-to-paycheck for two years after college, and I genuinely have NO idea how I'm going to finance this if I don't get enough aid. I'm not imagining that I will get much, but once the total bill (with living expenses, etc) gets up too high, it's going to be very difficult to make the final commitment to just take out the loans. What do you guys think? Does anyone know anyone who's been through the program and can give some tips? 

Congrats on all the acceptances!!!! Truly so happy for you guys!

I'm planning on applying for the next application season, do those of you who were accepted mind sharing your stats/work experiences? I want to get an idea of where I stand right now :) Thanks! 

Once again congrats!

7 hours ago, HTG7728 said:

I'm planning on applying for the next application season, do those of you who were accepted mind sharing your stats/work experiences? I want to get an idea of where I stand right now :) Thanks! 

Once again congrats!

Here's mine! Pulled the template from the first page of this thread. Received my eighth and final acceptance today from Penn today; feeling very overwhelmed and grateful and a little confused, because I legitimately thought I wasn't going to be able to get in anywhere this cycle. Hopefully this will encourage potential applicants for next year who have as many doubts about their undergrad performance/GPA as I did. 

Program: L&T

GRE score: 162V / 154Q / 5.5AWA

Work experience: 5.5 years teaching Mandarin Chinese and coaching debate at New England K-12 independent school

Undergrad information: East Asian Studies (BA) at Wellesley College (graduated 2014)

Undergrad GPA: 3.13 - dealt with serious mental illness issues during undergrad and left Wellesley feeling pretty glum about my future. Found my current teaching job by accident; fell in love quick.

LOR/SOP: LORs from 2 undergrad professors as well as principal of current school. I was really happy with my SOP, and I don't think I would've had as much a story to tell without having worked a while following undergrad. I talked about how legacy/traditional methods of teaching Chinese (lots of memorization, etc) proved to be highly exclusionary and inequitable in my own classroom, particularly to those students who needed to learn Mandarin the most (namely Chinese adoptees). Framed effective, comprehensible WL pedagogy as a social justice issue.

What other schools did you apply to: Brandeis, Columbia, Georgetown, NYU, Stanford, UPenn, UConn

Edited by thankyouforbreathing

9 hours ago, thankyouforbreathing said:

Here's mine! Pulled the template from the first page of this thread. Received my eighth and final acceptance today from Penn today; feeling very overwhelmed and grateful and a little confused, because I legitimately thought I wasn't going to be able to get in anywhere this cycle. Hopefully this will encourage potential applicants for next year who have as many doubts about their undergrad performance/GPA as I did. 

Program: L&T

GRE score: 162V / 154Q / 5.5AWA

Work experience: 5.5 years teaching Mandarin Chinese and coaching debate at New England K-12 independent school

Undergrad information: East Asian Studies (BA) at Wellesley College (graduated 2014)

Undergrad GPA: 3.13 - dealt with serious mental illness issues during undergrad and left Wellesley feeling pretty glum about my future. Found my current teaching job by accident; fell in love quick.

LOR/SOP: LORs from 2 undergrad professors as well as principal of current school. I was really happy with my SOP, and I don't think I would've had as much a story to tell without having worked a while following undergrad. I talked about how legacy/traditional methods of teaching Chinese (lots of memorization, etc) proved to be highly exclusionary and inequitable in my own classroom, particularly to those students who needed to learn Mandarin the most (namely Chinese adoptees). Framed effective, comprehensible WL pedagogy as a social justice issue.

What other schools did you apply to: Brandeis, Columbia, Georgetown, NYU, Stanford, UPenn, UConn

That’s amazing! Congratulations! Did you get into all 8 schools? Have you decided which one you’ll accept?

32 minutes ago, seskande said:

That’s amazing! Congratulations! Did you get into all 8 schools? Have you decided which one you’ll accept?

Thank you! And yes. I'm still very overwhelmed, to be honest. 

I'm leaning towards HGSE (even though it's the only program I applied to that doesn't offer public school teaching certification), but recent developments in life/career are making it look more and more like the right choice. Can't beat the flexibility of the L&T program and the insane amount of resources available to HGSE students. 

On 3/9/2020 at 2:36 AM, HTG7728 said:

Once again congrats!

Here's my stats for reference! Good luck next cycle :)

Program: TEP

GRE score: 157 verbal, 158 quant. 4.5 AWA

Work experience: 1 year working at a nonprofit that serves homeless veterans. I also did internships at a probation department (including work with juvenile probationers) and victim/witness services (mostly with child sex crimes).

Undergrad information: Humanities degree (BA) from large public state school, usually ranked in the #50-#100 range. I didn't have much research experience at all, but I had a lot of civic engagement experience that I completed as coursework.

Undergrad GPA: 3.98

LORs: the current director of the nonprofit I work for, a professor who mentored me in undergrad, and my favorite high school teacher, who I have kept in touch with.

What other schools are you applying to: Boston College, Tufts (accepted to both)

Lol. So, my current grad school just cancelled classes for the rest of the semester, and is planning to put everything online. Harvard has done the same. So peace, Boston. I'm out 'till May at least. ? Goin home baby!

Edited by ohzc

On 3/9/2020 at 2:36 AM, HTG7728 said:

Once again congrats!

Here's my stats for reference! Good luck for next cycle : ) 

Program: MBE

GRE score: 152 V, 170 Q. 4.0 W

Work experience: 1 year full-time post-bachelor RA doing independent research project in language acquisition and sound recognition.

Undergrad information: B.A. in Spanish & B.S. in Psychology from PKU, China. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.5

LORs: Three recommendations from three research experiences (1 PKU, 1 NYU, 1 UCSD). 

What other schools are you applying to: applied to some phd programs in psychology and cognitive science. 

2 hours ago, T Qi said:

Here's my stats for reference! Good luck for next cycle : ) 

Program: MBE

GRE score: 152 V, 170 Q. 4.0 W

Work experience: 1 year full-time post-bachelor RA doing independent research project in language acquisition and sound recognition.

Undergrad information: B.A. in Spanish & B.S. in Psychology from PKU, China. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.5

LORs: Three recommendations from three research experiences (1 PKU, 1 NYU, 1 UCSD). 

What other schools are you applying to: applied to some phd programs in psychology and cognitive science. 

Here are mine.

Program: TIE

GRE score: 158 V, 166 Q. 3.5 W

Work experience: 14 years full-time doing economics consulting, insurance and healthcare. Am a near qualified Actuary.

Undergrad information: B.A. in Mathematics from Mount Holyoke College, MA, and an MSc in Applied Mathematics from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, MA. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.66

LORs: Three recommendations from current job CEO, undergrad Math professor, and UChicago summer program teacher . 

5 hours ago, seskande said:

Here are mine.

Program: TIE

GRE score: 158 V, 166 Q. 3.5 W

Work experience: 14 years full-time doing economics consulting, insurance and healthcare. Am a near qualified Actuary.

Undergrad information: B.A. in Mathematics from Mount Holyoke College, MA, and an MSc in Applied Mathematics from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, MA. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.66

LORs: Three recommendations from current job CEO, undergrad Math professor, and UChicago summer program teacher . 

Hi

Interesting profile! Do you have any background in the education field? I'm planning to apply for TIE ?

11 hours ago, highered_throwaway said:

Still waiting for a notice (if at all). Have you?

I heard from my supervisor (HGSE Alumni and Urban Scholars Fellowship recipient) that he received a phone call for the award.

I received an e-mail saying that I was an alternate, but didn't know if that was a generic e-mail or if I should remain relatively optimistic. 

Hi all, see some asking about Urban Scholars fellowship; I applied but didn't receive any notice. I did get receive the Saul Zaentz Fellowship! -- the Financial Aid office called me midday on Thurs March 12th then sent an email that afternoon with the news.  

Edited by JacquelineD

Financial aid is out. I got a $19,000 grant which I am grateful for but it is still too expensive. I'll be going to a fully funded program instead. Still bought a sweatshirt though since it is a honor to even be accepted. Congrats to those who can attend!