HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

I also have a terminal degree (Ed.D.) from a Tier 1 Research university. My undergrad cumulative GPA is lower than yours  and my SOP is not so much impassioned as it is research focused. I have a 4.0 in all of my graduate work (M.Ed. As well). I have some specific questions I want to explore in the Human Development and Psychology program that I didn’t explore in my doctoral work. With 20 years experience in the field I think it’s going to come down to fit. If my research question is a good fit for them, then I think my chances are better. If it is not a great fit for them, then I don’t think they will have a spot for me. I hope in the end it’s about moving ideas and research forward and less about “stats” at the entry point. 

2 hours ago, reverend_doctor said:

Anyone else applying who already has an advanced degree (Masters, Doctorate, MD, etc.?). I don’t really know if that is helpful or harmful. Maybe they will think I have already “had my bite at the apple.” I have a Ph.D. in a different (but related) field from a “Big Ten” university. I thought it might show that I have the discipline and motivation to complete the Ed.M. program successfully, but now I’m not so sure. Especially because my undergraduate GPA was not so great (3.5 overall, 3.8 last 2 years), but my graduate GPA was a 4.0. I do feel my SOP is really strong, I had several colleagues look it over who got into top-tier schools and have served on admissions committees and they loved it. One even said it was the most passionate statement of purpose they had ever read, which felt great (because I got news for y’all, imposter syndrome is real and doesn’t go away just because you have multiple advanced degrees).

I guess I’m just waxing because I have so much anxiety about it and the waiting is killing me.

Good luck to everyone else in the home stretch! I look forward to hearing good news from everybody!

Hi Rev, 

I did not find any HGSE position statements on a doctoral degree holder applying for a masters degree.  But, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and Harvard Extension School (HES) have posted guidance.  The GSAS statement is related to a doctoral holder applying for another doctorate, while the HES version is relates to any graduate degree holder seeking a masters at the HES (highest degree awarded).

Impossible to know whether these shed light on a general policy at Harvard University, or if they’re college specific.

GSAS

https://gsas.harvard.edu/admissions/apply

If you already hold a PhD or its equivalent, or are an advanced doctoral candidate at another institution, you may apply to a PhD program only if it is in an unrelated field of study; however, preference for admissions and financial aid will be given to those who have not already had an opportunity to study for a doctoral degree at Harvard or elsewhere. You may also want to consider pursuing non-degree study through our Special Student or Visiting Fellow programs.

HES

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/graduate-degree-program-admissions

If you already hold a graduate degree, you may earn a master’s degree from Harvard Extension School provided the two degrees are in dissimilar fields with unrelated content.

Don’t worry about the other stuff you mentioned. . .

Oden

3 hours ago, reverend_doctor said:

Anyone else applying who already has an advanced degree (Masters, Doctorate, MD, etc.?). I don’t really know if that is helpful or harmful. Maybe they will think I have already “had my bite at the apple.” I have a Ph.D. in a different (but related) field from a “Big Ten” university. I thought it might show that I have the discipline and motivation to complete the Ed.M. program successfully, but now I’m not so sure. Especially because my undergraduate GPA was not so great (3.5 overall, 3.8 last 2 years), but my graduate GPA was a 4.0. I do feel my SOP is really strong, I had several colleagues look it over who got into top-tier schools and have served on admissions committees and they loved it. One even said it was the most passionate statement of purpose they had ever read, which felt great (because I got news for y’all, imposter syndrome is real and doesn’t go away just because you have multiple advanced degrees).

I guess I’m just waxing because I have so much anxiety about it and the waiting is killing me.

Good luck to everyone else in the home stretch! I look forward to hearing good news from everybody!

I have my Masters in Kinesiology and have applied for the Mind, Brain, and Education program. I've been an elementary teacher for 14 years and decided this was a unique opportunity to at least apply to this wonderful program (I've always watched the MBE program with great interest from afar) since moving around the world for a one-year program while mid-career was never going to be an option. Honestly, even if I got in I'm not sure it would be any more viable for me -- first financially, but also because teaching this school year will likely be one of the more challenging ones of my career as it is with COVID restrictions and such. I guess I figured it's going to be hard anyway, might as well just pile it on! 

11 hours ago, reverend_doctor said:

I have an MD, and I’m currently a dual doctorate student, in different fields and different schools but simultaneous. 

I think you’ll be fine. In fact, I think you’d make for a perfect candidate since you’ve been there, done that, and now know exactly what you want (I presume). Hence, choosing SSP. Besides, I doubt many people had a chance to spend time on writing very good SOPs. Given the time crunch, I wrote mine only a few hours before the deadline since that was literally the only time I had. All that goes in your favor in terms of standing out, and I wish you all the best! 

For myself, the challenge I really foresee is them just laughing at the notion of me trying to get a masters while currently being enrolled in two doctoral programs. Either way, I believe in trying and then coming to peace with the eventual outcome.  

Edited by Ibn Rushd

Hi everyone, so great to find other people in admissions purgatory (and sorry to jump on the thread from the Spring admissions crew).
I applied in the July round for the Mind, Brain, and Education program. I've got an undergrad GPA of 3.8 and postgrad 4.0. I'm a Teach for All fellow and Google Innovator. I have absolutely no idea what my chances are. Countdown on my phone says 5 days to go... sending good luck and calming thoughts to all of you!

Edited by MBEd

3 hours ago, MBEd said:

Hi everyone, so great to find other people in admissions purgatory (and sorry to jump on the thread from the Spring admissions crew).
I applied in the July round for the Mind, Brain, and Education program. I've got an undergrad GPA of 3.8 and postgrad 4.0. I'm a Teach for All fellow and Google Innovator. I have absolutely no idea what my chances are. Countdown on my phone says 5 days to go... sending good luck and calming thoughts to all of you!

I am sure you will do great! Sound pretty competitive - and fancy - to me! :) 

14 hours ago, Ibn Rushd said:

I have an MD, and I’m currently a dual doctorate student, in different fields and different schools but simultaneous. 

I think you’ll be fine. In fact, I think you’d make for a perfect candidate since you’ve been there, done that, and now know exactly what you want (I presume). Hence, choosing SSP. Besides, I doubt many people had a chance to spend time on writing very good SOPs. Given the time crunch, I wrote mine only a few hours before the deadline since that was literally the only time I had. All that goes in your favor in terms of standing out, and I wish you all the best! 

For myself, the challenge I really foresee is them just laughing at the notion of me trying to get a masters while currently being enrolled in two doctoral programs. Either way, I believe in trying and then coming to peace with the eventual outcome.  

Wow that’s intense!! Do you also work?! I could not even imagine! I also can’t imagine my “EFC” from the FAFSA being so ridiculously high. I mean yeah I have a full time job but jeebus mine is like 20K...that’s pretty much impossible for me so I’ve been looking at Plan B’s...Columbia is looking good! Harvard is like my dream though so I might be willing to take out some loans and hope that someone gets elected who can then give us all amnesty lol

15 hours ago, oldisgold said:

how many of you also applied without any clue how to pay for it? 19k aid doesn't cut it for me.

It me, friend. IT ME. I am really struggling with the potential cost in relation to taking on an opportunity that will likely never happen again in my lifetime...on online degree? At Harvard? WITHOUT the GRE? And I can choose all of my own classes? And also go to MIT? I just don’t know if that is worth $50K (well 50K minus 19K I guess). I’m 45 and am pretty set in my career, it’s not like I have to do this— but I really really want to! Best of luck to you and maybe we will both win the lottery! If I win I promise I got u covered lol

23 hours ago, Oden said:

Hi Rev, 

I did not find any HGSE position statements on a doctoral degree holder applying for a masters degree.  But, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and Harvard Extension School (HES) have posted guidance.  The GSAS statement is related to a doctoral holder applying for another doctorate, while the HES version is relates to any graduate degree holder seeking a masters at the HES (highest degree awarded).

Impossible to know whether these shed light on a general policy at Harvard University, or if they’re college specific.

GSAS

https://gsas.harvard.edu/admissions/apply

If you already hold a PhD or its equivalent, or are an advanced doctoral candidate at another institution, you may apply to a PhD program only if it is in an unrelated field of study; however, preference for admissions and financial aid will be given to those who have not already had an opportunity to study for a doctoral degree at Harvard or elsewhere. You may also want to consider pursuing non-degree study through our Special Student or Visiting Fellow programs.

HES

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/graduate-degree-program-admissions

If you already hold a graduate degree, you may earn a master’s degree from Harvard Extension School provided the two degrees are in dissimilar fields with unrelated content.

Don’t worry about the other stuff you mentioned. . .

Oden

LOL well my degree is in Sociology so it’s pretty much relevant to everything! ? 

10 hours ago, reverend_doctor said:

Wow that’s intense!! Do you also work?! I could not even imagine! I also can’t imagine my “EFC” from the FAFSA being so ridiculously high. I mean yeah I have a full time job but jeebus mine is like 20K...that’s pretty much impossible for me so I’ve been looking at Plan B’s...Columbia is looking good! Harvard is like my dream though so I might be willing to take out some loans and hope that someone gets elected who can then give us all amnesty lol

I do work full time. With only a couple of hours of sleep, it is not a healthy lifestyle and I discourage it. I hope to do better in the coming years. :) 

My situation is a bit unique. I have some limited support from an NGO but given their internal structure they can only extend that for Harvard/Oxford. And there are a couple of Faculty members at Harvard who I’d love to learn from. Otherwise, I’m sure I will live without an EdM. So if it’s not this, it’s bust for me. We will find out shortly. 

Thought the following were interesting from the FAQs:

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/faq 

Is a bachelor's degree required for admission to a degree program at HGSE?

For applicants to the Ed.L.D. or Ed.M. degree, while a bachelor's degree is not required, those who hold a B.A., B.S., or equivalent degree are the most  competitive for admission. Only in rare and select cases will the school consider exceptional and extensive professional achievements, along with demonstrated non-degree academic success, in lieu of a degree.

(So, it isn’t until it is, unless otherwise convenient ?  My read of this, is that an old and below-par bachelor's transcript may be disregarded for a variety of reasons)

May I change Ed.M. programs after I've been admitted?
Transfer from one Ed.M. program to another is rarely permitted. Students are expected to enroll in the program to which they were admitted. We encourage students who wish to transfer to another program to seek the advice of the Ed.M. program administrator of the program to which they were initially admitted before submitting a request to transfer to the Admissions Office.

(These sorts of rules tend to over-empower the draconian-minded bureaucrats enforcing them. . .  I am not a big fan of this - I prefer flexibility and accommodation)

Oden