HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Just now, Oden said:

Anyone know if the online classes are planned to be held in the evenings, to accommodate a presumably busy worker-bee cohort?

Oden

They intend on offering a lot of different options from my understanding. They posted a tentative list of classes being offered and denoted some of the ones that will be offered at varied times to accommodate time zone differences which I presume will also allow people with work schedules to enroll too. 

1 minute ago, Oden said:

Anyone know if the online classes are planned to be held in the evenings, to accommodate a presumably busy worker-bee cohort?

Oden

They said classes will be a mix of synchronous and asynchronous offerings. Also, there will be multiple versions of synchronous classes to accommodate people in different time zones.

7 minutes ago, Oden said:

Oden

This was a concern of mine as well when I saw there were some synchronous aspects to the classes, as I'm six time zones behind the East Coast and I work. They did say they would offer multiple options for the synchronous sections, though I'm still afraid that might mean in the middle of the night might be the only option that works for me in my time zone in my schedule. Evening would be best for me, but evening here is the middle of the night there. There are so many aspects to all this I've had to consider, but none of it matters until I see the decision on acceptance so...first thing's first. If I get in, then it's on to financials and schedule and all that. 

16 minutes ago, art229 said:

They intend on offering a lot of different options from my understanding. They posted a tentative list of classes being offered and denoted some of the ones that will be offered at varied times to accommodate time zone differences which I presume will also allow people with work schedules to enroll too. 

That’s awesome, thank you!

1 hour ago, Bobby87 said:

Hi All! Im also hoping decisions get released today. ?

For the regular admission cycle, HGSE posted their decisions at 3:45p, Fri, Mar 6.  So, I think we’re looking at getting our decisions at about the same time this Friday.

44 minutes ago, art229 said:

Thank you for sharing this.

Here's a 2020-2021 Academic Year's list of courses including the ones being offered multiple times and across multiple time zones;

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/sites/default/files//HGSE-courses-by-number-20-21.pdf

22 minutes ago, Ibn Rushd said:

Thank you for sharing this.

Here's a 2020-2021 Academic Year's list of courses including the ones being offered multiple times and across multiple time zones;

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/sites/default/files//HGSE-courses-by-number-20-21.pdf

This is an amazing list of courses, thank you for sharing. I see at least a half a dozen classes I would LOVE to take. Good luck to all. We've waited this long....just a few more days.

Edited by Jleighski123

1 hour ago, Jleighski123 said:

This is an amazing list of courses, thank you for sharing. I see at least a half a dozen classes I would LOVE to take. Good luck to all. We've waited this long....just a few more days.

I very eagerly already started planning sample schedules haha...hopefully it won't go to waste! 

3 hours ago, art229 said:

I very eagerly already started planning sample schedules haha...hopefully it won't go to waste! 

Same. May or may not have put a spreadsheet together to calculate credits and combos. All of the courses look so interesting! It was hard to whittle it down to 32 credits. ?

11 minutes ago, filmNT said:

Hi Everyone! I applied to the Ed.M Arts in Education program. All of your comments have been helpful and encouraging. Is there anyone else in this chat that applied for AIE?

I was actually wondering if anyone applied to AIE. It seemed like in most of these forums AIE applicants were scarce. I almost applied to AIE but ended up choosing Human Development and Psychology part time. I didn't feel like I had a strong enough arts background, and that it would be a total career change versus the HDP program. What made you choose AIE and how long have you been out of school for?

15 hours ago, Oden said:

For the regular admission cycle, HGSE posted their decisions at 3:45p, Fri, Mar 6.  So, I think we’re looking at getting our decisions at about the same time this Friday.

Most likely this is EST rather than PST-- I am guessing? 

Hey guys! Fingers crossed for decisions soon!!! I applied to TIE - I'm wondering if anyone has asked about access to specialized tech tools or software during the year? Typically, I think there's access to media labs and/or professional level software on campus - they obviously can't recreate everything online, but has anyone asked whether we might get access to software at least?

3 hours ago, dangelykarla said:

Most likely this is EST rather than PST-- I am guessing? 

Yes. I’m still a bit salty though that they said ‘end of July’ instead of July 31st or August 1st so I was really hoping they’d relieve us of this purgatory a day or two before.

C'est la vie. 

Edited by Ibn Rushd

25 minutes ago, Jimmy54 said:

One more day till decision day! This waiting is painful and hope today goes really fast. Flingers crossed!

So very painful! I was really hoping to know before taking the GRE tomorrow ?

Just now, hmj598 said:

So very painful! I was really hoping to know before taking the GRE tomorrow ?

Are you taking GRE for HGSE or other grad school?

When I got an email from them below, they've said by August 1st. So I believe it will be tomorrow for admit/reject. I will be psyched and very nervous when I see that email. What an exciting journey to come to this point. We should all be very proud.

Dear Jimmy

Thank you for your email. All applicants will receive their admissions decision by August 1st. Applicants will be notified via email when their admission decision is available.

Best,
HGSE Admissions

Just now, Jimmy54 said:

Are you taking GRE for HGSE or other grad school?

When I got an email from them below, they've said by August 1st. So I believe it will be tomorrow for admit/reject. I will be psyched and very nervous when I see that email. What an exciting journey to come to this point. We should all be very proud.

Dear Jimmy

Thank you for your email. All applicants will receive their admissions decision by August 1st. Applicants will be notified via email when their admission decision is available.

Best,
HGSE Admissions

I signed up to take it on the 31st before HGSE announced that they were opening admissions for online/part-time. I was planning on applying to HGSE and Penn this fall! Like you, I applied to the SSP. Fingers crossed for both of us!

22 minutes ago, hmj598 said:

I signed up to take it on the 31st before HGSE announced that they were opening admissions for online/part-time. I was planning on applying to HGSE and Penn this fall! Like you, I applied to the SSP. Fingers crossed for both of us!

Awesome. I wonder what kind of impact it will have on SSP since I've heard it will go away. I've applied part time so I hope we have a great chance getting admitted. Good luck on your GRE tomorrow. Penn is awesome, too. Has Penn opened up applications this summer and changed to online like HGSE?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy54 said:

Awesome. I wonder what kind of impact it will have on SSP since I've heard it will go away. I've applied part time so I hope we have a great chance getting admitted. Good luck on your GRE tomorrow. Penn is awesome, too. Has Penn opened up applications this summer and changed to online like HGSE?

More SSP!

This is great. I thought it was just me and reverend on this forum. Good luck you all!