HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Just now, boptillidrop77 said:

I am starting to think H.A has got us duped since his / her / their username is “HA!” 

I'd agree haha, I feel as though the school wouldn't send out sporadic notifications 

We will all find out this Friday!  That's 3 more days to go. Thank you all for sharing and glad I was able to find your forum. Excited, nervous and somewhat scared. But we should all be proud that we've submitted the application despite the late notice. I've just found out I've been tracking and learning about HGSE since 2011! Shows this was a once in a lifetime chance. But I think they will continue to offer online degrees even after this year as a hybrid program to accommodate the working educators. Hope we can all share the good/bad news this Friday.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy54 said:

We will all find out this Friday!  That's 3 more days to go. Thank you all for sharing and glad I was able to find your forum. Excited, nervous and somewhat scared. But we should all be proud that we've submitted the application despite the late notice. I've just found out I've been tracking and learning about HGSE since 2011! Shows this was a once in a lifetime chance. But I think they will continue to offer online degrees even after this year as a hybrid program to accommodate the working educators. Hope we can all share the good/bad news this Friday.

Good point! I saw online the resubmission process for another admissions cycle is quite easy. Not sure if they will require GREs the second time around but I believe beyond that the only new requirement is one new letter of recommendation. The others can transfer over from the first cycle. Not a bad plan B, but hopefully not necessary for all of us!

11 minutes ago, Jimmy54 said:

Love the positivity Jimmy54, I'd like to second your sentiments. I haven't been working towards this dream for as long - 5 years on my part, 2 years full time towards this particular part of The Dream - but everyone who submitted an application this round, as with all rounds, should be proud. We had a really quick turnaround and I'd say we did our best to seize an opportunity as it presented itself in this wacky, chaotic year. The days are definitely dragging by as we draw closer to Friday. I'm looking forward to celebrating (and commiserating) with all of you.

I think we should all record our admit/reject video reaction like the undergrads do and share here! :o I love seeing the video on HGSE celebrating on their graduation and hope to be part of it as well someday. This is my most ultimate Dream school (in addition to my first grad degree years ago) and a turning point in my career/life if I get in. I did not tell anyone including my family on applying to Harvard but hope to announce and celebrate very loudly. If I don't, I will still be proud on applying and be hopeful on the next 2nd try.  

Thanks MBEd and Jleighski123 for reading my post and giving support! We all should be proud and can't wait till Friday. I am sure we are all checking our portals daily like I am! LOL!

Anyone have some info/insights on how many will likely be admitted during this second admit cycle?

I ask, because my impression is that this 2nd round is largely intended to fill a gap created by those who do not want to attend online.  But, I can’t imagine that leading to many open spots, because my kid’s peers at Harvard College were threatening to take a gap year and none of them are actually doing so.

Hi Oden,

I'm not sure there is a concrete answer out there. I did find a few articles stating 6 graduate schools at Harvard went online this fall. Two of them (Law and Kennedy) offered deferment to any student, no questions asked. I assume the same was offered to HGSE students but can't find that information posted anywhere. The caveat is/was, if too many students defer they risk class of 2022 entrance, not 2021. Are your kids' friends undergrads? I think that' might be a slightly different circumstance if so. There are a host of considerations (networking, finances,  experiencing Boston, soaking up Harvard's campus,  preferring face to face instruction) that online learning does not support. In other words, don't give up hope! There was a petition among the students population to offer the deferral. Harvard responded well in kind. I don't think they would have offered the second admission cycle unless they needed to fill a statistically significant amount of slots. But agree, still less slots than the first cycle. 

Also, there was this interesting article detailing a 2% decrease in endowment funding for graduate programs this year. Before COVID, it looks like most were expecting increased funding. A significant portion of the budget was spent on reacting to COVID (online learning ramp up) even with decreased funding. Which is to say, this is a good year to have healthy tuition revenue. The more admits the merrier?

https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2020/06/harvard-professional-schools-move-online-endowment-distribution-decreased

Edited by Jleighski123

7 hours ago, Jleighski123 said:

Hi Oden,

I'm not sure there is a concrete answer out there. I did find a few articles stating 6 graduate schools at Harvard went online this fall. Two of them (Law and Kennedy) offered deferment to any student, no questions asked. I assume the same was offered to HGSE students but can't find that information posted anywhere. The caveat is/was, if too many students defer they risk class of 2022 entrance, not 2021. Are your kids' friends undergrads? I think that' might be a slightly different circumstance if so. There are a host of considerations (networking, finances,  experiencing Boston, soaking up Harvard's campus,  preferring face to face instruction) that online learning does not support. In other words, don't give up hope! There was a petition among the students population to offer the deferral. Harvard responded well in kind. I don't think they would have offered the second admission cycle unless they needed to fill a statistically significant amount of slots. But agree, still less slots than the first cycle. 

Also, there was this interesting article detailing a 2% decrease in endowment funding for graduate programs this year. Before COVID, it looks like most were expecting increased funding. A significant portion of the budget was spent on reacting to COVID (online learning ramp up) even with decreased funding. Which is to say, this is a good year to have healthy tuition revenue. The more admits the merrier?

https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2020/06/harvard-professional-schools-move-online-endowment-distribution-decreased

Accepted HGSE Students were not offered deferrals. They will have to reapply if they chose not to enroll in the online course. They have been offered a streamlined reapplication process for 2021, but will be considered in the greater context of the applicant pool. 

23 minutes ago, Silver12 said:

Accepted HGSE Students were not offered deferrals. They will have to reapply if they chose not to enroll in the online course. They have been offered a streamlined reapplication process for 2021, but will be considered in the greater context of the applicant pool. 

Thanks for the clarification! 

2 hours ago, Silver12 said:

This policy makes it seem less likely to me that massive numbers of admitted students would give up their spots. And yet, I wouldn't think the HGSE staff would bother going through this laborious process unless they were comfortable there would be a significant number of positions to fill as someone else already said.

2 hours ago, Silver12 said:

Interesting, thank you.

oden

19 minutes ago, tyguy3005 said:

This policy makes it seem less likely to me that massive numbers of admitted students would give up their spots. And yet, I wouldn't think the HGSE staff would bother going through this laborious process unless they were comfortable there would be a significant number of positions to fill as someone else already said.

Hi tyguy

I hope you’re right. Especially since it’s an online program now - it’s not like they’d be bumping anyone out of a seat. . .

Oden

If they do announce today, I assume it will be in the evening and I doubt it makes a difference if they announce today or Friday. So might as well let the news out today!

As for current spots, I think they are trying to fill in the possible international student seats which some may not like the online because it will be night time for some of them. The whole experience of being at Cambridge for intl students will be weighted much heavily and may apply again next year. Also, even if they have to fill 200 seats, they probably have to take a chance to admit 250 or 300 for yield and some may not to commit due to low financial aid and other reasons.