HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

54 minutes ago, DrPH Applicant said:

Do you guys think decisions could come this week? They said late July. ??

P.S. I am just anxious, that's all. Haha.

Key Dates:

July 13 – Application Deadline

July 24 – Financial Aid Application Deadline

End of July – Admissions decisions release date (I think likely: Fri, July 31st)

Mid August – Financial Aid decisions release date

August 19 – Enrollment Deadline

September 2 – Classes Begin

On 7/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, DrPH Applicant said:

Do you guys think decisions could come this week? They said late July. ??

P.S. I am just anxious, that's all. Haha.

I was hoping this week too haha! I called admissions the other day and they said decisions will be released by August 1st, so I'm siding with Oden that they might just be out July 31st. 

On 7/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, DrPH Applicant said:

Hey, 

I applied to the online Ed.M (SSP) and received the invitation to submit financial aid application around 12:30 pm Eastern (7/17/20). It is super simple application that would take 5 minutes or less to finish. You also have to submit FAFSA separately. 

Also. I reached out to HGSE Financial Aid to check for applying to merit-based scholarships and broader Harvard Committee on General Scholarships. They said online Ed.M applicants are not eligible for any other scholarships besides the need-based grant. 

Hope this helps. 

Hay another SSP applicant! I was wondering if I was the only one! Have you noticed that the SSP track is not going to be available for new applicants past 2020 (it’s not a separate track in their new program debuting in August for Fall 2021). I hope that doesn’t mean we are at a disadvantage. I am a “July” applicant too and I am truly bummed out that we are not eligible for merit based aid especially since we are paying the exact same tuition as continuing students. But, I guess we kinda knew that going in. 

It’s killing me to have to wait this long! I hope we both get good news...

On 7/13/2020 at 9:41 PM, DrPH Applicant said:

Just applied to EdM SSP. The eternally painful wait lasting 2.5 weeks begins now. 

Any other SSP applicants? Already accepted? Applied during this (July 2020) cycle? Decided not to join SSP? 

I applied, but I am not optimistic. I did not submit GRE scores (I have been an educator for almost 20 years). I chose to apply because of the “once in a lifetime” opportunity to do a distance ed master’s at Harvard. There’s no way I would be able to travel to Cambridge.Haven’t heard a thing.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:53 AM, dangelykarla said:

Hi!

I am glad I found this community. I recently applied for the Higher Ed Program, Ed.M. I received a financial aid portal sign up notice. Did you all? Also, I did not apply part-time because when I spoke to the financial aid office they said that part-time students would not qualify for the the 19k grant. Prior, I thought it I read that part-time would minimize the chances of obtaining the grant, but not eliminate it. Perhaps, they have narrowed the grant qualifications? I am not sure.

Good luck to all! Everyone on here seems like a wonderful applicant with great stats. As for me, I am a 3.86 GPA from UC Berkeley, have higher ed employment experience and  research experience. MY SoP and letters of recommendation are strong. 

Best wishes to you all!

Same to you! Are you still in Berkeley? I live in Orinda. If we both get in we should be study buddies lol. I am also applying part time, and am anxious about whether or not it is worth the $$$.

Well, congratulations on applying though. Given the time crunch completing the application in itself is a fiat!

On GRE, I did not submit GRE either as those were not required. I do not believe that will disadvantage you by any means. 2 decades of being an educator alone should be qualification enough but then again, end of the day, higher education has abdicated their responsibility of educating and have become these gatekeepers by artificially controlling supply (acceptance rates) to maintain the 'prestige,' and here we are to see things through by contributing to this incessant conformity and social banalities. 

In any case, stay optimistic. We tried and in the end it is what it is. Much like yourself, it is near impossible for me to move to Cambridge so this was a great venue to learn critical theory from very specific people at HGSE. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that it all works out. 

7 hours ago, reverend_doctor said:

I applied, but I am not optimistic. I did not submit GRE scores (I have been an educator for almost 20 years). I chose to apply because of the “once in a lifetime” opportunity to do a distance ed master’s at Harvard. There’s no way I would be able to travel to Cambridge.Haven’t heard a thing.

Well, congratulations on applying though. Given the time crunch completing the application in itself is a fiat!

On GRE, I did not submit GRE either as those were not required. I do not believe that will disadvantage you by any means. 2 decades of being an educator alone should be qualification enough but then again, end of the day, higher education has abdicated their responsibility of educating and have become these gatekeepers by artificially controlling supply (acceptance rates) to maintain the 'prestige,' and here we are to see things through by contributing to this incessant conformity and social banalities. 

In any case, stay optimistic. We tried and in the end it is what it is. Much like yourself, it is near impossible for me to move to Cambridge so this was a great venue to learn critical theory from very specific people at HGSE. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that it all works out. 

Hi, so glad I found this community. I also applied to HGSE in this summer admissions cycle. I know they said they're planning a short residential experience in the spring and a summer term for all 2020-2021 students which would extend to us. Is anyone planning to go to campus for those experiences? And/Or move to Cambridge and try to gain some form of campus access in the spring? :)

4 minutes ago, Broadwaybaby98 said:

Hi, so glad I found this community. I also applied to HGSE in this summer admissions cycle. I know they said they're planning a short residential experience in the spring and a summer term for all 2020-2021 students which would extend to us. Is anyone planning to go to campus for those experiences? And/Or move to Cambridge and try to gain some form of campus access in the spring? :)

Hey, welcome to the admissions purgatory! :) 

This is actually my first time hearing about the spring and summer residential experiences. Sounds exciting! Where did you get this information from? Would you mind sharing more details?

"HGSE will always prioritize person-to-person interactions, and the school will monitor the changing public health landscape as the year unfolds, with an eye toward planning a residential experience and an in-person Commencement next spring" - Remote Announcement

"With the experience of sophomores and juniors in mind, we have decided to extend to all students who spend the year studying away from campus the opportunity to attend Summer School in Cambridge without tuition charge in 2021".  - University Fall 2020 plans announcement 

They first announced the "short residential experience" when they announced that the whole 2020-2021 year will be remote, and that would include us as 2020-2021 students if admitted and if covid permits it. As far as the summer term, the university at large is planning to have a summer term for all 2020-2021 students completing the year away from campus  (I'm assuming those in graduate programs would also have this option). So yeah there are opportunities to have that campus experience if covid allows it and you want to!

46 minutes ago, Broadwaybaby98 said:

"HGSE will always prioritize person-to-person interactions, and the school will monitor the changing public health landscape as the year unfolds, with an eye toward planning a residential experience and an in-person Commencement next spring" - Remote Announcement

"With the experience of sophomores and juniors in mind, we have decided to extend to all students who spend the year studying away from campus the opportunity to attend Summer School in Cambridge without tuition charge in 2021".  - University Fall 2020 plans announcement 

They first announced the "short residential experience" when they announced that the whole 2020-2021 year will be remote, and that would include us as 2020-2021 students if admitted and if covid permits it. As far as the summer term, the university at large is planning to have a summer term for all 2020-2021 students completing the year away from campus  (I'm assuming those in graduate programs would also have this option). So yeah there are opportunities to have that campus experience if covid allows it and you want to!

Ah, thank you for sharing! 

3 hours ago, Broadwaybaby98 said:

As much as I would love for that to be true, I think that second announcement re: Summer School only applies to undergraduates, especially since it references sophomores and juniors. I Googled it, and that was from an announcement from Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences (which operates the undergraduate college, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and the engineering school), which is separate from HGSE. I would be very surprised if HGSE extended the same courtesy. Would be happy to be proven otherwise!

On 7/23/2020 at 12:00 AM, reverend_doctor said:

Same to you! Are you still in Berkeley? I live in Orinda. If we both get in we should be study buddies lol. I am also applying part time, and am anxious about whether or not it is worth the $$$.

Hi! I have now relocated to Southern California. As to part-time, this was HGSE's response when I was inquiring (previous to the application deadline): 

Dear -----,

That's truly an individual decision based on your personal circumstances; financial aid is limited for July 2020 applicants- you can find information regarding available financial aid, the application process, and expected costs on our website.  You may want to compare the expected costs for full and part-time study to help determine what your actual costs may be.  Using a full-time tuition rate of $51,904 if you received a maximum grant of $19,000 your full-time expense for tuition would still be $32,904 (or more, depending on aid eligibility).  If you attended part-time with no grant offered, the tuition rate would be $25,952 for year one and roughly the same (although perhaps slightly higher) for year two, so at minimum your part-time tuition expense over two years could be $51,904.  You'd need to consider a variety of factors such as opportunity cost, whether you can remain employed during your studies, etc. when making an enrollment decision.  We normally advise people to apply for what's best considering their personal circumstances, because we can't guarantee or predict any particular level of financial aid until we process your aid application.

Please contact our office with additional questions and good luck!

Sincerely,

HGSE Financial Aid

The response received today to the email I sent asking if they had an admission's decision release date (same as what HGSE said over the phone as said in another post): 

Dear -----,

Thank you for your email. Decisions will be released by August 1.

Best,
HGSE Admissions

Harvard Graduate School of Education
13 Appian Way, Cambridge MA 02138
P: 617-495-3414 F: 617-496-3577
Follow us on Twitter: @HGSE_Admissions
Follow the Admissions Blog: https://hgseadmissions.wordpress.com/

--------------------------------

I am guessing the 31st will be the date. :(

1 hour ago, dangelykarla said:

The response received today to the email I sent asking if they had an admission's decision release date (same as what HGSE said over the phone as said in another post): 

Dear -----,

Thank you for your email. Decisions will be released by August 1.

Best,
HGSE Admissions

Harvard Graduate School of Education
13 Appian Way, Cambridge MA 02138
P: 617-495-3414 F: 617-496-3577
Follow us on Twitter: @HGSE_Admissions
Follow the Admissions Blog: https://hgseadmissions.wordpress.com/

--------------------------------

I am guessing the 31st will be the date. :(

Well, at least we just have 7 days left!!! 

Anyone else applying who already has an advanced degree (Masters, Doctorate, MD, etc.?). I don’t really know if that is helpful or harmful. Maybe they will think I have already “had my bite at the apple.” I have a Ph.D. in a different (but related) field from a “Big Ten” university. I thought it might show that I have the discipline and motivation to complete the Ed.M. program successfully, but now I’m not so sure. Especially because my undergraduate GPA was not so great (3.5 overall, 3.8 last 2 years), but my graduate GPA was a 4.0. I do feel my SOP is really strong, I had several colleagues look it over who got into top-tier schools and have served on admissions committees and they loved it. One even said it was the most passionate statement of purpose they had ever read, which felt great (because I got news for y’all, imposter syndrome is real and doesn’t go away just because you have multiple advanced degrees).

I guess I’m just waxing because I have so much anxiety about it and the waiting is killing me.

Good luck to everyone else in the home stretch! I look forward to hearing good news from everybody!