HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

4 minutes ago, Jimmy54 said:

Awesome. I wonder what kind of impact it will have on SSP since I've heard it will go away. I've applied part time so I hope we have a great chance getting admitted. Good luck on your GRE tomorrow. Penn is awesome, too. Has Penn opened up applications this summer and changed to online like HGSE?

Thanks so much! Penn did not open up applications as far as I know. 

11 minutes ago, Ibn Rushd said:

More SSP!

This is great. I thought it was just me and reverend on this forum. Good luck you all!

Hey Ibn and Jimmy -- fellow SSP applicant here! I applied part-time as I can't swing a full time load right now due to work obligations. I'm really eager to find out whether we all make it in. I'm certianly hoping we do!

10 minutes ago, MKPolicy said:

Hey Ibn and Jimmy -- fellow SSP applicant here! I applied part-time as I can't swing a full time load right now due to work obligations. I'm really eager to find out whether we all make it in. I'm certianly hoping we do!

Wow so many TIE and SSP applicants. I didn't know they were this popular. Good luck to all. I will be a true happy camper when TGIF finally comes.

1 hour ago, Ibn Rushd said:

Yes. I’m still a bit salty though that they said ‘end of July’ instead of July 31st or August 1st so I was really hoping they’d relieve us of this purgatory a day or two before.

C'est la vie. 

Yes, I’m also a bit salty about this. No need for vagueness when you can just say “July 31st.” 

9 minutes ago, boptillidrop77 said:

Yes, I’m also a bit salty about this. No need for vagueness when you can just say “July 31st.” 

I totally agree. On July 31st at this time of day...than saying by Aug 1st...that could be today but not really.

12 hours ago, Mr.Mojo.Jojo said:

I was actually wondering if anyone applied to AIE. It seemed like in most of these forums AIE applicants were scarce. I almost applied to AIE but ended up choosing Human Development and Psychology part time. I didn't feel like I had a strong enough arts background, and that it would be a total career change versus the HDP program. What made you choose AIE and how long have you been out of school for?

I finished undergrad in 2014. Last year I obtained my first masters degree in filmmaking. I have interest in teaching filmmaking. Good luck with the HDP program!

1 hour ago, boptillidrop77 said:

By not naming a specific date/time, it gives admissions the flexibility to release decisions when they are complete. I'm sure we would all like them sooner, rather than later. If decisions are ready today, then they will send them today. If it's tomorrow, it will be tomorrow. All we can do is wait! 

Edited by Silver12

Hi All! Im hoping they finish today. I think they are also creating some flexibility. Penn is great as well. I completed my doctoral work at Penn in 2018. A wonderful campus and university. Sending positive vibes! ☺️

Edited by Bobby87

3 minutes ago, Silver12 said:

By not naming a specific date/time, it gives admissions the flexibility to release decisions when they are complete. I'm sure we would all like them sooner, rather than later. If decisions are ready today, then they will send them today. If it's tomorrow, it will be tomorrow. All we can do is wait! 

True. Besides, I think they wanna avoid the mess and likely want to release admission status and the next steps at the same time. From FAQs;

When will the complete course schedule be released?

On July 31, we plan to release the HGSE catalog which will include the course descriptions and learning goals, day/time schedules, and more details. As part of that next update, we will share information about the process for course enrollment for the fall semester, including information about course previews and opportunities to ask faculty members questions about courses.

When and how will I choose classes?

In the July 31 message, we plan to share more information about the fall 2020 course enrollment process. At this time, we recommend reviewing the course lists, sorted by course number  and by broad course category, along with your required Program courses to begin developing an initial group of courses in which you might like to enroll this fall. 

Hi everyone. I have some news from the GSE admission team!

I wrote to them on a personal matter, but was able to get this line from them and thought it would be helpful sharing it in this forum, just to reduce anxiety.

"Thank you for your email. All applicants will receive their admissions decision by August 1st. Applicants will be notified via email when their admission decision is available."

Hope it helps, and good luck to you all, I'm applying for the TIE program! ?

6 hours ago, RachelRachelBoBachel said:

Hey guys! Fingers crossed for decisions soon!!! I applied to TIE - I'm wondering if anyone has asked about access to specialized tech tools or software during the year? Typically, I think there's access to media labs and/or professional level software on campus - they obviously can't recreate everything online, but has anyone asked whether we might get access to software at least?

Hello Rachel!! Another TIE applicant!!!! Did you apply for full time or part time?

40 minutes ago, lmhadzich said:

Hi everyone. I have some news from the GSE admission team!

I wrote to them on a personal matter, but was able to get this line from them and thought it would be helpful sharing it in this forum, just to reduce anxiety.

"Thank you for your email. All applicants will receive their admissions decision by August 1st. Applicants will be notified via email when their admission decision is available."

Hope it helps, and good luck to you all, I'm applying for the TIE program! ?

Thanks for sharing! I will be looking for the email tmrw. 

I had a dream about admission last night. Finally, tonight will be the last night of the painful waiting. 

Are there any international candidates here? I am from Uzbekistan and have applied Ed.M Higher Education program. I did pursue MA in International Education Leadership and Policy form the University of Leeds in 2019. Strongly hope to be admitted to HGSE.

11 minutes ago, hgsegogogo said:

Thanks for sharing! I will be looking for the email tmrw. 

I had a dream about admission last night. Finally, tonight will be the last night of the painful waiting. 

I dreamed about it as well..Not sure if I can fall asleep tonight might checking my gmail every ten mins

14 minutes ago, Mokhidil said:

Are there any international candidates here? I am from Uzbekistan and have applied Ed.M Higher Education program. I did pursue MA in International Education Leadership and Policy form the University of Leeds in 2019. Strongly hope to be admitted to HGSE.

Here! I applied HEP,  I had a master in teaching from private college at Socal before

2 hours ago, Ibn Rushd said:

True. Besides, I think they wanna avoid the mess and likely want to release admission status and the next steps at the same time. From FAQs;

When will the complete course schedule be released?

On July 31, we plan to release the HGSE catalog which will include the course descriptions and learning goals, day/time schedules, and more details. As part of that next update, we will share information about the process for course enrollment for the fall semester, including information about course previews and opportunities to ask faculty members questions about courses.

When and how will I choose classes?

In the July 31 message, we plan to share more information about the fall 2020 course enrollment process. At this time, we recommend reviewing the course lists, sorted by course number  and by broad course category, along with your required Program courses to begin developing an initial group of courses in which you might like to enroll this fall. 

I'd like to hope they send out decisions today so we can calmly look through the catalog tomorrow haha! 

3 minutes ago, art229 said:

I'd like to hope they send out decisions today so we can calmly look through the catalog tomorrow haha! 

I could understand sending out today as one more day would not make a difference. Maybe we should not expect at all and be surprised if decisions come out today.

6 hours ago, Jimmy54 said:

Awesome. I wonder what kind of impact it will have on SSP since I've heard it will go away. I've applied part time so I hope we have a great chance getting admitted. Good luck on your GRE tomorrow. Penn is awesome, too. Has Penn opened up applications this summer and changed to online like HGSE?

Would you mind elaborating on this @Jimmy54? Where did you hear that the SSP is going away, and what does that mean? 

23 minutes ago, JConan said:

Would you mind elaborating on this @Jimmy54? Where did you hear that the SSP is going away, and what does that mean? 

@JConan @Jimmy54 SSP is not the only one. HGSE is consolidating several of their programs with addition of 'concentrations' as a flexibility mechanism for those who want to pursue individualized curriculum. This will be the last SSP cohort. 2021-onwards, SSP will no longer be a program option. 

Here is a graphic explaining the consolidation; 

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/sites/default/files//HGSE_MastersProgramHistory.pdf

Here's a page explaining the changes;

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/masters2021/faq

Edited by Ibn Rushd

Thank you @Ibn Rushd for those useful links and explanation. I have been worries because my included website has seen no views/hits that would indicate that HGSE people are considering me. But I'm hoping that's not a bad sign and that they are focused only on the written portions, choosing not to go to any links. 

26 minutes ago, Ibn Rushd said:

@JConan @Jimmy54 SSP is not the only one. HGSE is consolidating several of their programs with addition of 'concentrations' as a flexibility mechanism for those who want to pursue individualized curriculum. This will be the last SSP cohort. 2021-onwards, SSP will no longer be a program option. 

Here is a graphic explaining the consolidation; 

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/sites/default/files//HGSE_MastersProgramHistory.pdf

Here's a page explaining the changes;

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/masters2021/faq

Thank you for sharing @Ibn Rushd. The 2021-onward programs make a lot of sense and I hope they would consider offering one pathway completely online for international educators interested in having the opportunity to learn from the best. 

Edited by alexalondon73

Just now, JConan said:

Thank you @Ibn Rushd for those useful links and explanation. I have been worries because my included website has seen no views/hits that would indicate that HGSE people are considering me. But I'm hoping that's not a bad sign and that they are focused only on the written portions, choosing not to go to any links. 

We can all worry ourselves into oblivion but to no avail. I am sure you have a great profile and you'd do great. They are all (admissions office as well as the admissions committees) likely in a time crunch with trying to get this cohort finalized and develop, offer classes and such so don't let a lack of visits dishearten you. 

As has been said here before, we tried and completed the applications in such a short period of time so that in itself is an achievement. HGSE is great and all but it does not define your genius and contributions to the world. You will be fine. :)