HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Just now, DaGreatCyrus said:

Thank you all so much for making the wait bearable and all of the support!

I got waitlisted, which in itself I take as an honor. Does anyone know what my odds might be of clearing through?

I'm sorry to hear of all the rejections - please don't ever forget that that doesn't take away from how amazing you are and what you're capable of! I can't even imagine how many applications there were!

I agree with you! Please be pround of yourself!

Accepted to SSP! Sending loads of light to everyone who applied with such a quick turnaround. You’re all incredible! 

Just now, KPNY said:

Accepted to SSP! Sending loads of light to everyone who applied with such a quick turnaround. You’re all incredible! 

Can you share your stats? I've not opened mine yet and applied to ssp as well.

Just now, Jimmy54 said:

Can you share your stats? I've not opened mine yet and applied to ssp as well.

Ahhh hoping you receive good news!!!

3.7 with honors from an Ivy, Fulbright grantee, a few years of work experience in education in the US and abroad. In my essay I discussed making international Ed/study abroad more accessible for lower income students. Sending you good vibes! 

Rejected. Congrats to those who got in :) BUT, given the amount of people rejected here, I rather believe that this summer cycle is just an anomaly and it doesn’t actually reflect our capabilities. Don’t know how many of you were considering other Ed programs at other universities, but I am more than happy to connect with those who are still interested in other Ed programs/ schools. Feel free to PM me and I would love if we can help each other out in future application process :)

Just now, 2020666 said:

If they didn't intend to admit a lot of students why did they open the second round? Fooling with me? 

Here's my guess...they were anticipating a large number of people that were already admitted to decide not to come once they announced that they would be online, so they planned for this summer round to fill those gaps. The summer application was due on July 13. But the decision from those already admitted for next year to tell Harvard whether they were coming or not online was July 15. I think more people decided to stay with the program than perhaps they thought would. I'm sure HGSE's decision not to offer deferments also played into that. Thus ending up with a much smaller amount of slots than perhaps they thought they would have when they decided to move online. Just my thinking on it

Just now, KPNY said:

Ahhh hoping you receive good news!!!

3.7 with honors from an Ivy, Fulbright grantee, a few years of work experience in education in the US and abroad. In my essay I discussed making international Ed/study abroad more accessible for lower income students. Sending you good vibes! 

You have excellent stats and congratulations! Wish you luck in the upcoming year at HGSE!

17 minutes ago, Physed14 said:

Here's my guess...they were anticipating a large number of people that were already admitted to decide not to come once they announced that they would be online, so they planned for this summer round to fill those gaps. The summer application was due on July 13. But the decision from those already admitted for next year to tell Harvard whether they were coming or not online was July 15. I think more people decided to stay with the program than perhaps they thought would. I'm sure HGSE's decision not to offer deferments also played into that. Thus ending up with a much smaller amount of slots than perhaps they thought they would have when they decided to move online. Just my thinking on it

Edited by 2020666

11 minutes ago, Dragonboat said:

Congrats!!! Hate to be the one to ask, but do you mind sharing your stats?

Undergrad GPA: 3.1

Grad GPA for Student Affairs in Higher Ed that I did for one semester before switching course: 4.0

Law School: 3.4

Did not take the GRE

I worked as an education policy advisor for the speaker of a state house of representatives!

Just now, 2020666 said:

I agree. HGSE is the only school which opens the second round and refuses to reduce fee. They said they welcome students from various background not only education field, but obviously they are not that inclusive. I'm from Columbia University (economic major) and has 3+ ed-tech investment experience. 

I'm not sure if it is that they are not all that inclusive as much as it is they had a higher number of amazing summer applicants than expected and a lower number of slots to fill than expected. I bet if all of us that got rejected in this summer round were to apply again during the regular admission cycle next year, we'd see a much higher acceptance rate from the same pool of people