HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Just now, taylored said:

@dietcoke I'm also 10 years out! I guess just not having any idea what they were looking for is bumming me out, so I was hopeful knowing what did work would make me feel better. (That or possibly a gin and tonic?) 

It would indeed be helpful to know so we, non-admitted students, could compare and better prepare our applications for the next round. *tears*

I feel most of us will have a better shot next year when we apply on regular deadline. I feel this was rushed with a lot of uncertainties. At least we will be better prepared and I doubted I would get any FA this year.

Is there anyone who applied for part-time SSP who got accepted? Or because SSP won't be running again - did they just decide it would be hard to have stragglers around and therefore did not accept anyone part-time for SSP?

30 minutes ago, JConan said:

Is there anyone who applied for part-time SSP who got accepted? Or because SSP won't be running again - did they just decide it would be hard to have stragglers around and therefore did not accept anyone part-time for SSP?

I think someone did get in but as a full time. You may be right about not accepting any part timers. I may consider applying again once they finally determine their revamping of their concentrations. Had I known, I probably have applied full time and different concentration this year.  

Does anyone know why a second round of admission was even opened this summer? Did they have many people admitted this Spring decide not to enrol this Fall (for whatever reason--financial, pandemic, etc)? Were there only very few openings for this Fall, making the competition in this summer round that much more strong? Was it harder to be admitted part-time for this Fall, since they said they admit only a small number for part-time? Just some questions...

3 hours ago, Jimmy54 said:

I feel most of us will have a better shot next year when we apply on regular deadline. I feel this was rushed with a lot of uncertainties. At least we will be better prepared and I doubted I would get any FA this year.

Depends what the real situation is behind the scenes. Maybe (like in other schools) re-applications carry a stigma and stand little to no chance. Would love to find out from someone in-the-know (current student, etc) what really happened behind the scenes in this summer round. Were they desperate for more tuition revenue? Did they have only say 10% (or some similarly small number) of spots available, so the competition was very high? Did they have a lot of applications in this summer round? It all seemed sketchy...

53 minutes ago, Eton said:

Does anyone know why a second round of admission was even opened this summer? Did they have many people admitted this Spring decide not to enrol this Fall (for whatever reason--financial, pandemic, etc)? Were there only very few openings for this Fall, making the competition in this summer round that much more strong? Was it harder to be admitted part-time for this Fall, since they said they admit only a small number for part-time? Just some questions...

I believe the decision to go fully online for the year resulted in enough openings to warrant a new round of applications. It’s only a one year program (two if PT) and I can imagine that many would reconsider given that it would be fully online. For me, it was a great opportunity because that’s the only way I would be able to attend. As to how many applicants/ spaces and how hard it was to be admitted part-time... your guess is as good as mine! 

Edited by TheJourneyContinues

Just now, TheJourneyContinues said:

I believe the decision to go fully online for the year resulted in enough openings to warrant a new round of applications. It’s only a one year program (two if PT) and I can imagine that many would reconsider given that it would be fully online. For me, it was a great opportunity because that’s the only way I would be able to attend. As to how many applicants/ spaces and how hard it was to be admitted part-time... your guess is as good as mine! 

There is so much left to conjecture and guessing on our part, about their motivations and the true stats. It strikes me a lot like applying for a job. There's so much outside one's control, and a lot is informed by the politics and agendas of those on the selection committee (and the make-up/demographics of the applicant pool).

Does anyone know if they will even continue to offer online for next year and beyond? I wonder when I should apply for 21 admit or later since all the programs will be reshuffled. Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, Dreamy said:

Depends what the real situation is behind the scenes. Maybe (like in other schools) re-applications carry a stigma and stand little to no chance. Would love to find out from someone in-the-know (current student, etc) what really happened behind the scenes in this summer round. Were they desperate for more tuition revenue? Did they have only say 10% (or some similarly small number) of spots available, so the competition was very high? Did they have a lot of applications in this summer round? It all seemed sketchy...

Many people denied/delayed their acceptance because it was virtual. They needed extra money to provide the full “Harvard” experience. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy54 said:

I think someone did get in but as a full time. You may be right about not accepting any part timers. I may consider applying again once they finally determine their revamping of their concentrations. Had I known, I probably have applied full time and different concentration this year.  

Yes, I am only aware of people getting into SSP full-time. It seems they did not accept ANYONE to SSP part-time because SSP itself is ending. So that seems like an unfair assessment of our ability because they internally decided to end the program we applied for. Is there anyone else on here who can concur or provide info to the contrary?

6 minutes ago, JConan said:

Yes, I am only aware of people getting into SSP full-time. It seems they did not accept ANYONE to SSP part-time because SSP itself is ending. So that seems like an unfair assessment of our ability because they internally decided to end the program we applied for. Is there anyone else on here who can concur or provide info to the contrary?

I can imagine since why bother accepting part timers and linger for 2 years as they will hear complaints from the students on ending the SSP. Rather have a clean slate so they can get more applicants for the new programs. It will be interesting how they will restructure. I would be cautious reapplying so quickly this fall until they get their act together regards to online and the new program. They could have just allowed "full time only" for SSP this year. I also think going full time will be better even if it's online with the right FA. Get it over with. I also do hope they can reduce the tuition by then.   

1 hour ago, JConan said:

I got admitted to SSP part time. 

Background

Had 7 years of founding and leading an ed tech business and an M.A. in IED from TC, Columbia.