HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Hi guys!

I also got my financial aid letter, but I'm a bit confused. My grant was only $5000, even though my FAFSA "family contribution" ended up being $0? Is that normal? I was hoping for enough in aid + loans to cover tuition at least. Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone have any experience with appealing for more aid? 

10 minutes ago, teaspoonmoon said:

Only received $5,000 in work study-- honestly extremely upset by this. At one year being over 50k in tuition alone, $2,500 a semester is insulting. 

Does this seem unusual to anyone else? It seems to me that they are awarding needs-based grants on merit? Or almost randomly? I had thought that it was going to be different than this... Earlier forums seemed to indicate more funding was available?

Does anyone know if they are still offering more financial aid? I had some problem activating the account previously and just submitted it today. I wonder whether there's still any chance for me to get some money  /(ㄒoㄒ)\

10 hours ago, ohzc said:

Hi guys!

I also got my financial aid letter, but I'm a bit confused. My grant was only $5000, even though my FAFSA "family contribution" ended up being $0? Is that normal? I was hoping for enough in aid + loans to cover tuition at least. Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone have any experience with appealing for more aid? 

My FAFSA family contribution was also $0 and I received no grant money at all; just around $20k in federal loans. (I've been teaching full-time for five years, albeit on a super low salary. But I also have no undergrad loans, so maybe that's why?)

For those considering contacting the financial aid office: I sent a (one page, single spaced, very high effort) appeal letter today right after receiving my aid package and they responded incredibly quickly...to reiterate that HGSE's need-based aid is incredibly limited and that I should make my decision on where to attend based on my current package :( 

It's definitely interesting to see (what appears to me as?) the wide variation in types of aid people are receiving. For those getting only work study or only limited amounts of grant aid -- is that in addition to loans, or are they all standalone offers?

My grant ($11,000) is contingent upon taking out at least $20,500 of students loans or receiving at least $20,500 in external scholarships/other student loans/merit scholarships, if I'm reading the fine print correctly. I honestly don't remember what my FAFSA contribution was supposed to be, but I don't have any student loans either. Maybe family size/composition is a factor in the aid grants? I'm currently the sole breadwinner for my family.

I also got 19k, which is great, but insufficient... as an international student, I'm neither eligible for FAFSA nor for loans...

19k makes it about 22% of the entire cost of studies, which in my case is about 85k. Harvard was really on the top of my list because of the program, but I need to reject the offer because of funding only... 

I also sent an appeal and got the same email. Tough luck, I guess.

I think I'm going to have to decline. I have an offer from the Oxford Education department. Even if I get no funding from them, it would still be about $50,000 cheaper to get the Master's abroad. It's a shame that it seems like so many of us are declining over this. I had always thought that HGSE was a little bit more concerned with the diversity of their classes... Taking $70,000+ out in loans for a one-year Master's in our profession? For a lot of people, that would be close to financial suicide. I don't mean to be so salty but this all is a bit upsetting. I feel like I was admitted almost for no reason. 

Hope you all stay safe out there. Living right now puts this all into a little bit of perspective--there are much more important things, like changing the lives of our students. Can't wait to see what you all do with your careers!

For context, my expected family contribution was 14k (which... is based off of income from a job I will no longer have once school starts), and I was also offered the max for federal direct loans ($20,500).

My email back from fin aid told me that everything was calculated correctly, and they only offer a max of 5k in work study per student per year. Which, again-- absurd. One of the richest universities in the world, you'd think that if they accepted someone they wanted to attend, they'd help them attend. I also got into Cambridge, which would be $10k less in tuition for the same length of program, and that's before any funding.

36 minutes ago, teaspoonmoon said:

For context, my expected family contribution was 14k (which... is based off of income from a job I will no longer have once school starts), and I was also offered the max for federal direct loans ($20,500).

My email back from fin aid told me that everything was calculated correctly, and they only offer a max of 5k in work study per student per year. Which, again-- absurd. One of the richest universities in the world, you'd think that if they accepted someone they wanted to attend, they'd help them attend. I also got into Cambridge, which would be $10k less in tuition for the same length of program, and that's before any funding.

What the heck? Our stories sound really similar. You going to England then? We should meet up! ?

It is a shame, isn't it? I am disappointed too that Harvard didn't make much of a showing on this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 9:42 AM, T Qi said:

Does anyone know if they are still offering more financial aid? I had some problem activating the account previously and just submitted it today. I wonder whether there's still any chance for me to get some money  /(ㄒoㄒ)\

Hey, they offered financial aid during your application and dued on February. Do you plan to enroll?

• 2 weeks later...

I was all in for HGSE but I cannot justify the cost of the program with the little aid I received. I just declined and accepted another offer that's giving full funding. I know I'm in a privileged space to have a second option, but still, it hurts a bit. Maybe I'll go for the Ed.L.D in the future at HGSE (that's funded). 

Best of luck to all of you and be well!

Edited by jmkenobi

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 8:57 AM, Anon1138 said:

Don't let this stop you from continuing your journey--I know you'll do great things in the field!

Thanks!I was accepted by UPenn Learning Science and Technology program! See you guys in America!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone planning on applying during the new application window for the 2020 online program?

Do we think admissions criteria will be lowered due to a coronavirus induced crunch?

Do we think financial aid offers will be lower than usual because this is being used as a way to increase revenue?

On 6/4/2020 at 11:39 PM, tyguy3005 said:

Anyone planning on applying during the new application window for the 2020 online program?

Do we think admissions criteria will be lowered due to a coronavirus induced crunch?

Do we think financial aid offers will be lower than usual because this is being used as a way to increase revenue?

Hey - I came to GradCafe to see if there were any posts about this! But yours is all I could find.

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row to apply for the online program. It's such a short turn-around to apply! Although the application isn't even open yet.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:39 PM, francienolan said:

Hey - I came to GradCafe to see if there were any posts about this! But yours is all I could find.

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row to apply for the online program. It's such a short turn-around to apply! Although the application isn't even open yet.

I think they are offering this both to build up cash reserves, and likely because a lot of people declined their admissions offers this year.  So they need the bodies. 

I would not expect any significant financial aid offers for the online program. 

46 minutes ago, Dreams said:

I think they are offering this both to build up cash reserves, and likely because a lot of people declined their admissions offers this year.  So they need the bodies. 

I would not expect any significant financial aid offers for the online program. 

According to the information on the website, the maximum amount of financial aid they would offer is 19k, considering the total amount ask for the year is 57k, even the maximum amount of financial aid is going to leave you with almost 40k debt. I am not sure if it is worth taking that big of a loan for a 1-year M.Ed.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:39 PM, francienolan said:

I’m definitely applying! According to the information sessions so far, they plan to have roughly the same class size as usual.

I’m very curious to see how many apply and how many ultimately get admitted. They aren’t offering any licensure programs this year, so, with those slots opening and some students who presumably don’t want to do the degree online, I’m hoping there are a good number of slots.

It would be strange of them to go through another whole application process for just a few openings... at least I pray that’s the case!

I've just joined the forum in the last couple of days. I really appreciate all the posts and messages concerning HGSE. I'm interested in applying for the Ed. M online masters, the Learning and Teaching General strand.

I've attended a couple of the webinars which have been interesting.

If anyone is applying for the online masters and would like to check SOPs, or just get in touch about the application process, please feel free to PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully, Leo doesn’t mind the 2nd batch of Fall 2020ers piggy-backing onto this thread?!

Submitting my app soon.

My reading between the lines from the webinar I attended, is that the online Ed.M, admission cycle is to fill an attendance gap left from the traditionally admitted this past winter and current students that are not willing to attend online this fall.  Bottom line, I’m thinking the HGSE will not be admitting a full class this July.  Anyone with better intel? 

Love,

Oden

Hi all,

My name is Ivan and I am an HGSE alum ‘16. I graduated with my Ed.M. in Education Policy and Management. I recently started a YouTube channel focused on graduate school life and advice. The first series I have created is focused on how to get into Harvard and application advice. Go check out my channel and comment if you want advice from me! 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChRIK6A0Ix4BPCf-kzraH3g

On 7/9/2020 at 4:30 AM, Ivan5 said:

Hi all,

My name is Ivan and I am an HGSE alum ‘16. I graduated with my Ed.M. in Education Policy and Management. I recently started a YouTube channel focused on graduate school life and advice. The first series I have created is focused on how to get into Harvard and application advice. Go check out my channel and comment if you want advice from me! 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChRIK6A0Ix4BPCf-kzraH3g

Hey Ivan, this is great. Many thanks! You are all so inspiring with your study, research and work history! I actually just found about the online Ed. M programme last week and am rushing to get it all completed ... Also congrats to all those who have been accepted! Its a shame the finances thing is such a hurdle - same here really.