HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Hi, I had applied to EdM in School leadership and got this mail today. Did anyone else who has applied for Masters get an invite as well?

Dear ____,

The admissions committee has expressed interest in your application for graduate study at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. We would like to speak with you via video call to learn more about you and to get a better understanding of your communication skills.

Please signup for a session to speak with a representative from the Admissions Office. Please note that you will need your application login information. These sessions will be held between Wednesday, February 5, 2020 and Tuesday, February 11, 2020 and you should register for only one. The conversation will last approximately 10-15 minutes.

In preparation for the video call, please download software from Skype.com and set up an account, if you do not have one already. Skype-to-Skype calls are free and should not cost you anything. You will need to include your Skype username in your registration. The Admissions Office representative will contact you through Skype on the day and time for which you register.

In addition, you will need a headset (or built-in computer microphone and speakers) as well as a webcam for face-to-face conversation. Once you have enabled Skype, we strongly recommend that you test the process with another person.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

HGSE Admissions

3 hours ago, Zoya95 said:

Hi, I had applied to EdM in School leadership and got this mail today. Did anyone else who has applied for Masters get an invite as well?

Dear ____,

The admissions committee has expressed interest in your application for graduate study at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. We would like to speak with you via video call to learn more about you and to get a better understanding of your communication skills.

Please signup for a session to speak with a representative from the Admissions Office. Please note that you will need your application login information. These sessions will be held between Wednesday, February 5, 2020 and Tuesday, February 11, 2020 and you should register for only one. The conversation will last approximately 10-15 minutes.

In preparation for the video call, please download software from Skype.com and set up an account, if you do not have one already. Skype-to-Skype calls are free and should not cost you anything. You will need to include your Skype username in your registration. The Admissions Office representative will contact you through Skype on the day and time for which you register.

In addition, you will need a headset (or built-in computer microphone and speakers) as well as a webcam for face-to-face conversation. Once you have enabled Skype, we strongly recommend that you test the process with another person.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

HGSE Admissions

I haven’t received anything but I would think your message is a good sign!! Wishing you all the best :) 

14 hours ago, Jordan2020 said:

@Zoya95: I think it's definitely a good sign. Congrats and good luck!

Are you an international applicant  who's required to send in TOEFL score? If so  how is your TOEFL? 

Yes, I am an international applicant and I have a 105 in TOEFL and 305 in GRE (V152, Q153, AWA3.5). I have a 25 in TOEFL listening and I know my GRE is quite low for Harvard standards. I am a bit confused because video calls are not actually a part of the admission process for Masters. Wondering if it's because of my scores as I am an international applicant. ?

Edited by Zoya95

Wishing everyone good luck with the application/interview process and thanks everyone for all the great info! I wanted to see if anyone knew if there were interviews for the Education, Policy and Management Ed.M program at HGSE? Unfortunately I have a deposit deadline for another program at the end of Feb (before decisions for HGSE come out in March) and I'm not sure if there's a way to know if I have a shot at HGSE early. If anyone has any advice I'd welcome any info - thanks everyone!

Has anyone who applied for an EdM - HDP in particular - received an admissions decision? I’ve already heard back from most of the schools I’ve applied to and I’ve got deposit deadlines coming up...

good luck to everyone!

Edited by amb22

On 2/3/2020 at 12:31 PM, LAB said:

Wishing everyone good luck with the application/interview process and thanks everyone for all the great info! I wanted to see if anyone knew if there were interviews for the Education, Policy and Management Ed.M program at HGSE? Unfortunately I have a deposit deadline for another program at the end of Feb (before decisions for HGSE come out in March) and I'm not sure if there's a way to know if I have a shot at HGSE early. If anyone has any advice I'd welcome any info - thanks everyone!

I’m in the same boat!

3 hours ago, amb22 said:

Has anyone who applied for an EdM - HDP in particular - received an admissions decision? I’ve already heard back from most of the schools I’ve applied to and I’ve got deposit deadlines coming up...

good luck to everyone!

I have not received an admissions decision yet, as all EdM decisions are sent out at the same time on a date in early March. The admission decision date could be conflicting for many applicants with approaching deposit deadlines. I have not heard of any perspective students receiving a decision prior to the first week of March, however it wouldn’t hurt to reach out.

13 hours ago, Tanishadanielle said:

I have not received an admissions decision yet, as all EdM decisions are sent out at the same time on a date in early March. The admission decision date could be conflicting for many applicants with approaching deposit deadlines. I have not heard of any perspective students receiving a decision prior to the first week of March, however it wouldn’t hurt to reach out.

Got it! Thanks for the info :)

19 hours ago, amb22 said:

good luck to everyone!

All US graduate schools (I believe all, but at minimum the vast majority) subscribe to a National Acceptance Deadline of April 15th. So they shouldn’t be requiring you to make any decisions or payments before that date. If they are, you might want to check them on it.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:47 AM, Robin214 said:

Did anyone here apply to the Arts in Education Ed.M program? Or know others who did it? Would love to chat if so!

I did! Haven't heard back about an interview yet-- I'm hoping they just haven't started inviting yet.

I've gotten into a few other schools (Cambridge being the top one) so hopefully it's not an issue with my application.

1 hour ago, teaspoonmoon said:

I did! Haven't heard back about an interview yet-- I'm hoping they just haven't started inviting yet.

I've gotten into a few other schools (Cambridge being the top one) so hopefully it's not an issue with my application.

They don’t actually interview for Masters programs so you’re fine! Congratulations about Cambridge!!

20 minutes ago, Robin214 said:

They don’t actually interview for Masters programs so you’re fine! Congratulations about Cambridge!!

Ahh ok I didn't know that, I guess I just assumed they'd interview (I've had a surprising number of interviews considering I'm only applying for Master's). That's a bit of a relief, I was starting to worry haha.

Did you apply to any other art education programs? 

On 2/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, teaspoonmoon said:

Ahh ok I didn't know that, I guess I just assumed they'd interview (I've had a surprising number of interviews considering I'm only applying for Master's). That's a bit of a relief, I was starting to worry haha.

Did you apply to any other art education programs? 

I applied for Cambridge’s February deadline so it’ll be a while to hear, but HGSE would be a dream! Not too long until we hear back!

Hi all,

We got about 15 days to wait and the results will all out!! Crossing fingers....Anyone knows what is the admission rate for the ED.M programs during previous years?  I heard two extremely opposite answers.. one is almost 50% and one is like 4%.. I prefer to believe the former since I do not think Ed.M programs are that hard (4%) to get in, but that person said the number was announced at the graduation commencement in 2016...

10 hours ago, PENNYLIUPPPPP said:

Hi all,

We got about 15 days to wait and the results will all out!! Crossing fingers....Anyone knows what is the admission rate for the ED.M programs during previous years?  I heard two extremely opposite answers.. one is almost 50% and one is like 4%.. I prefer to believe the former since I do not think Ed.M programs are that hard (4%) to get in, but that person said the number was announced at the graduation commencement in 2016...

I've got to believe that it's somewhere in between those two. Isn't it strange that they don't publish an average acceptance rate? So many universities either bury that number deep in an annual report somewhere or go to great lengths not to publish it. Seems like a grab for a lower acceptance rate and more application fees to me. Sigh. So many Euro Universities publish some kind of four-year average, etc...

Good luck everyone on HGSE decisions, though! I am excited to hear...