HGSE 2020

Leo Liao

Posting in hopes more Ed.L.D. applicants come out of the bushes!

Program/ConcentrationEd.L.D.
GRE Score: Average
GPA: 3.3 undergrad(last 2 years – 3.8) / 3.9 grad
Work Experience: 1 year at Edtech startup., 2 years at Ed Non-Profit, 2 years at IGO, 1 year public school teacher.
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 10 undergrad/Ed.M. from HGSE (happy to answer questions!)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None, No other program like Ed.L.D.

Hope there are more Ed.L.D. applicants! Happy to answer Ed.M. questions. 

Hi all!

Just submitted my application. Every time I tried (from multiple computers and browsers), I was unable to complete the "activities" section of the application. However, my CV/resume lists a few volunteer and community engagement experiences, so I hope those catch the eye of the committee. I know HGSE values well-rounded students, so I hope leaving that section break does not give the wrong impression.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Program/Concentration: PSP - prevention research track (Ed.M.)
GRE Score: average for the program
GPA: undergrad - 3.9 (however, took a large break in college process, early years are ugly), masters - 4.0
Work Experience: 7+ years in special needs early education (neurodevelopmental behavioral and cognitive disorders, both practice and
research/process work), 1 year (part time) as a graduate research assistant
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..):  both - public state school (R1)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: A few prevention science and public health programs, no other ed programs.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, Tanishadanielle said:

Hi everyone! I can’t wait to read about everyone’s stats and aspirations, and I’m excited to share a similar interest in HGSE with so many unique individuals. I’m nervous about being considered for my desired program, as I am coming from a public college background. 

Desired program: Applying for HDP (masters)

GPA: 3.94 undergraduate - I will be graduating in 2020 with a degree in Psychology 

Dean’s list/ high honors

GRE: TBD, scheduled for early November 

Work experience: 5 1/2 years working in early childhood education at two different non- profit centers. Experience as an ABA therapist at Gateways, working one- on- one with children with autism and learning disabilities. Volunteer experience as a foster care case reviewer for DCF (Massachusetts department of children and families). 

Additional: I have done independent research on collaborative problem- solving models and developed and implemented individualized child assessments based on child needs and the ITRS. I have created interactive resources for families and staff at my center about the importance of gross motor development in infancy, creating a culturally diverse and inclusive environment, and fostering efficient parent- teacher partnerships. I was previously hired at a Harvard- affiliated CC center on the business school campus, however I declined due to financial reasons restricting my ability to move to Cambridge at the time. 

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated ?. I’m currently 22 years old, and am debating applying this December or waiting another year. 

First, let me say I appreciate all the positivity, support, and encouragement you've added to this thread :)

It sounds like you've made the best of both academic and professional experiences while in undergrad. I'm impressed by the range of contributions you were able to gain as an ABA therapist.

From what I've read, you gained quite a bit of hands on experience with data collect and measurement, and applied that information to better understand development - that's a huge boost.

Best of luck to you, keep us updated! :)

12 hours ago, LisaNucar said:

Hi all!

Just submitted my application. Every time I tried (from multiple computers and browsers), I was unable to complete the "activities" section of the application. However, my CV/resume lists a few volunteer and community engagement experiences, so I hope those catch the eye of the committee. I know HGSE values well-rounded students, so I hope leaving that section break does not give the wrong impression.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Program/Concentration: PSP - prevention research track (Ed.M.)
GRE Score: average for the program
GPA: undergrad - 3.9 (however, took a large break in college process, early years are ugly), masters - 4.0
Work Experience: 7+ years in special needs early education (neurodevelopmental behavioral and cognitive disorders, both practice and
research/process work), 1 year (part time) as a graduate research assistant
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..):  both - public state school (R1)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: A few prevention science and public health programs, no other ed programs.

Hi Lisa,

That’s strange that the activities section of the application was not allowing you to post information. I’ve heard from alumni in previous webinars that this section is intended to highlight the individuality of prospective students. These activities are meant to show admissions what you do outside of an academic or professional setting, such as volunteer work, projects for organizations, etc. I think it is fine that you listed some volunteer work and community engagement on your resume, they will be see it this way.

I resonate with your undergrad experience, as my current GPA is near a 4.0 but my first two years were ugly due to breaks I took. I think you have great work experience that will stand out in your application! Did you apply for the early childhood fellowship? 

Best of luck!

On 1/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, Freedom93 said:

Posting in hopes more Ed.L.D. applicants come out of the bushes!

GRE Score: Average
GPA: 3.3 undergrad(last 2 years – 3.8) / 3.9 grad
Work Experience: 1 year at Edtech startup., 2 years at Ed Non-Profit, 2 years at IGO, 1 year public school teacher.
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 10 undergrad/Ed.M. from HGSE (happy to answer questions!)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None, No other program like Ed.L.D.

Hope there are more Ed.L.D. applicants! Happy to answer Ed.M. questions. 

Another Ed.Ld applicant here. Never been in these forums and just found you as I'm beginning to grow curious about interviews. Hope they tell us soon!

GRE Score: Average (but exceptional analytical writing score)
GPA: 3.7 undergrad / 3.9 grad
Work Experience: 6 years public school teacher, 2 years instructional coach (edtech, literacy, language development) in public school
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): UCR for both BAs and MEd
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None, Truly no other program like Ed.L.D.

Edited by seejodee

PhD

Program/Concentration: HDLT
GRE Score: V 165, Q 156, W 4.5
GPA: 3.6 (undergrad)/3.9 (graduate)
Work Experience: 5 years as a K-12 teacher, 4 years as a college administrator, 1 year as a counselor
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): small liberal arts undergrad, mid-sized state school for grad school
Research Experience: 2 years on a professor's research team in graduate school studying moral development and decision making (several conference presentations, and an article in progress), independent research for my master's thesis 
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Indiana, NYU, Iowa, UNT, TCU, USM

1 hour ago, Rosebud1313 said:

Does anyone have any ballpark idea about how many PhD applications are typically submitted a year? As the week interviews typically go out I keep getting more anxious!! 

I had read about 580, but I am not sure how accurate that is.  When do invitations for interviews typically go out for their PhD program?

11 minutes ago, cxh1054 said:

I had read about 580, but I am not sure how accurate that is.  When do invitations for interviews typically go out for their PhD program?

Thank you! From previous gradcafe results pages this is what I've gathered:

Fall 19: Went out January 17
Fall 18: Went out January 18
Fall 17: Went out January 20
Fall 16: Went out January 23

I am guessing that if I don't hear anything by the end of the day on Friday the 17th I was not selected for an interview. 

12 hours ago, Rosebud1313 said:

Does anyone have any ballpark idea about how many PhD applications are typically submitted a year? As the week interviews typically go out gets closer I keep getting more anxious!

Totally agree. When I submitted I was like "oh no big deal, the odds are not in my favor". Now I am trying to convince myself not to get too excited. Also my list of other schools I am applying to is almost identical. Must have a similar research interest.  

19 hours ago, Rosebud1313 said:

I am guessing that if I don't hear anything by the end of the day on Friday the 17th I was not selected for an interview. 

Yes. Seems like it's always been on the end of the full third week. Last two years, Thursday of the third week. So that means Thurs the 16th or Friday the 17th.  ?

Did you apply to Penn? I believe they have the same timeline. I got interviews from my 5th and 4th choices already.  I'm waiting on U of M, Penn, and HGSE.

Edited by FwdThnkr

8 hours ago, amb22 said:

hi! does anyone have any idea as to when edm decisions become available? I applied jan 5. 

If it is like it has been the past several years, it seems the Ed.M. application decisions are sent out via email the first Friday in March. If it stays that way, then March 6th should be the golden day.

Praying that HGSE stays consistent!

On 1/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, Rosebud1313 said:

Thank you for the information! what other schools did you apply? I applied HGSE, Stanford, Vandy and BC.

1 hour ago, orangejulius said:

Have you heard anything from Vandy? Did you apply PhD or M.Ed? I applied there as well and haven't heard anything yet. 

I applied to PhD program and haven't heard anything from Vandy. I'm guessing most schools have not started reviewing application reviews. Which program did you apply at Vandy?

2 hours ago, literacy2020 said:

I applied to PhD program and haven't heard anything from Vandy. I'm guessing most schools have not started reviewing application reviews. Which program did you apply at Vandy?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to talk about Vandy in 2020 Fall Applications forum? 

I believe this specific title is dedicated to Harvard Graduate School of Education and related applications.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, FwdThnkr said:

Yes. Seems like it's always been on the end of the full third week. Last two years, Thursday of the third week. So that means Thurs the 16th or Friday the 17th.  ?

Did you apply to Penn? I believe they have the same timeline. I got interviews from my 5th and 4th choices already.  I'm waiting on U of M, Penn, and HGSE.

I did not apply to their PhD program, but I applied to their M.S.Ed program in Education Policy. I felt like PhD programs were a reach for me since I am still in my undergraduate so I tried to split my applications between Master and PhD programs just in case. I did apply to the PhD at U of M though.