Speech pathology

So was wondering if anyone had any advice. I got rejected from all the schools I applied to and not sure what to do. I am a terrible test taker and always have been and have a 2.9 GPA and a 285 GRE. Now that I am graduated I’m not sure what to do about my GPA but I am taking the GRE again. I have a ton of experience through speech pathology and have good Rec letters and a good letter of intent but I know that graduate school mostly looks at grades. I have applied to small schools and out of state. Wasn’t even offered an interview or waitlisted. What advice would you give to someone who is taking a year off and what would help get into grad school next year? 

I think it is really smart to retake your GRE. My GRE was low as well (287) but I got accepted to all five schools I applied because I had a high GPA. I would recommend retaking classes in person or online to improve your GPA, this will help strengthen your application. Also, look on ASHA for newly accredited programs, these are often easier to get accepted into (ie: Concordia University Wisconsin was just accredited this year and I know a few individuals who were accepted with lower GPA's). Hope this helps. 

My GPA was similar to yours. You can retake some classes or in my case, I started and finished a Masters in Special Education. I finished that program with a 3.85. I applied for a 3nd time to a SLP program after I finished my M.ED. Much to my surprise, I was accepted to one program?I think getting a masters showed I was able to do graduate level work. You need to shoot for at least 300 on the GRE and at least a 4 in writing. Good luck?

3 hours ago, aligirl said:

So was wondering if anyone had any advice. I got rejected from all the schools I applied to and not sure what to do. I am a terrible test taker and always have been and have a 2.9 GPA and a 285 GRE. Now that I am graduated I’m not sure what to do about my GPA but I am taking the GRE again. I have a ton of experience through speech pathology and have good Rec letters and a good letter of intent but I know that graduate school mostly looks at grades. I have applied to small schools and out of state. Wasn’t even offered an interview or waitlisted. What advice would you give to someone who is taking a year off and what would help get into grad school next year? 

I agree with the above users. Taking some classes to boost your GPA will go a long way for you as well as retaking the GREs. It might be risky but as an alternative if you can score a 300 or higher you might be able to stick with your current GPA. 

Just to clarify is your 2.9 your overall? If so what’s your GPA in the major? Also which schools did you apply to? I know some schools have a larger GPA range for those who are offered admission. University of South Carolina is one example. The Edfind site shows a range of 2.52-4.00. I think if you plan on applying for fall 2020 I would look for schools like that as well as the candidate or newly accredited schools one user mentioned above. 

I think there are things that can offset low numbers, you could retake things, that's an option. What's your last 60 units gpa?

I truly did not think I would get in anywhere this year, but it happened! Something I think is important for applications is that when you are applying somewhere, make sure to mention why the program is a good fit for you. For me, I want to do multilingual stuff so I got a certificate that showed that in undergrad and tried to reflect it in my volunteer places and where I applied. And then in your personal statement, mention a few professors/faculty members you would like to work with if given the chance and why their research/specialty interests you. And if you have interviews, make sure to ask questions! When you ask good questions, they know you are interested and have a motivation to attend. If you need help, message me I would love to help in any way! You can do it! 

Edited by slptobe!