Hello all, 

I was wondering if anyone has gotten into Baylor's Masters Online SLP Program and how competitive is it.  I just did an informational webinar for prospective students. I live in Dallas, TX so I know that the tuition will not be too much but still expensive. I currently go to Texas Woman's University majoring in Health Studies. I was going for Occupational Therapy but I have more of a love for Speech-Language Pathology. 

Also, could you provide your stats? I'm trying to see if I have a change. 

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, BlackGirlSLP said:

Hello all, 

I was wondering if anyone has gotten into Baylor's Masters Online SLP Program and how competitive is it.  I just did an informational webinar for prospective students. I live in Dallas, TX so I know that the tuition will not be too much but still expensive. I currently go to Texas Woman's University majoring in Health Studies. I was going for Occupational Therapy but I have more of a love for Speech-Language Pathology. 

Thanks! 

Hi!

I just got accepted into this program and I can tell you my stats aren't a 4.0 GPA or a 300 GRE. I had a 3.2 overall, 3.6 major GPA, 285 GRE, 4 in Writing. However, I've been a SLPA for three years and I wrote a detail letter of intent explaining my journey to this point. Also, my supervisors and a former professor I felt wrote strong LOR. It's pretty competitive what I'm gathering (I know a person in the on-campus program), but not impossible to try and get in. I personally don't think it should be all focused on grades (it's important), but really how a person can potentially do well in a graduate program in order to become a SLP. Also, have you taken leveling courses? That could make your grad program longer than most (and potentially more expensive), but I know several people who have done it.

9 hours ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

Hi!

I just got accepted into this program and I can tell you my stats aren't a 4.0 GPA or a 300 GRE. I had a 3.2 overall, 3.6 major GPA, 285 GRE, 4 in Writing. However, I've been a SLPA for three years and I wrote a detail letter of intent explaining my journey to this point. Also, my supervisors and a former professor I felt wrote strong LOR. It's pretty competitive what I'm gathering (I know a person in the on-campus program), but not impossible to try and get in. I personally don't think it should be all focused on grades (it's important), but really how a person can potentially do well in a graduate program in order to become a SLP. Also, have you taken leveling courses? That could make your grad program longer than most (and potentially more expensive), but I know several people who have done it.

Thank you! Your stats are not bad!  Your experience definitely came in handy. I'm a reading teacher and I work with dyslexic students as well. I'm hoping that makes a difference. I haven't taken my GRE yet and my GPA right now is 3.4. I figured it would be competitive since it's the shortest online program for SLP. I haven't taken leveling courses yet and I'm planning for it to be longer. 

Thank you again and Congrats on getting in!

Hi!

I was also accepted to this prorgam! I had a 3.39 overall, 3.8 major, and 298 GRE with 4 in the writing portion. I’ve worked as a SLPA for 4 years. I really feel like they look at other aspects of your application rather than just your overall grades! 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, BlackGirlSLP said:

Hello all, 

Thanks! 

Girl... TWU has a great communications disorders program. I think apps open in the fall and you would start in the spring... and if you have any interest at all of working as a school based SLP (I know, lowest paid in the profession, but they come with a set salary and you can work PRN in other settings when you want extra $ and you will always have a job) you can apply for the distance ed program they offer. I am in my first semester of the cycle 10 of the TWU distance ed program and I love it. We had several levelers who did level through TWU get accepted. I would say approx half of our cohort of 112 leveled. Make sure your last 60 hours of coursework is over a 3.0. I used Magoosh gre vocabulary app (helped a LOT), as well as got the books written by ETS, as they write the GRE exam. Good luck wherever you choose to apply! 

12 hours ago, MH13 said:

Girl... TWU has a great communications disorders program. I think apps open in the fall and you would start in the spring... and if you have any interest at all of working as a school based SLP (I know, lowest paid in the profession, but they come with a set salary and you can work PRN in other settings when you want extra $ and you will always have a job) you can apply for the distance ed program they offer. I am in my first semester of the cycle 10 of the TWU distance ed program and I love it. We had several levelers who did level through TWU get accepted. I would say approx half of our cohort of 112 leveled. Make sure your last 60 hours of coursework is over a 3.0. I used Magoosh gre vocabulary app (helped a LOT), as well as got the books written by ETS, as they write the GRE exam. Good luck wherever you choose to apply! 

Thank you for this information! I had heard how hard it is to get in. Do you mind providing your stats? I plan to apply there as well. Dang, that's a lot of people who leveled. What is the location of your cohort? I know they said that Dallas is pretty competitive. Thank you for that app refer, I didn't know where to look for GRE help. 

Congrats on your acceptance and good luck in your program. I hope you enjoy it. 

I’m in Lubbock and have to go to my ESC 3 times this summer for class but have classes every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:15-8:30. During the school year, we go to the ESC on Tuesday from 4:30-8:30 and then home on collaborate the same hours. We also do our school-based practicum during the school year. Summer 2020 and 2021 I will have adult practicum placements. My stats are: 155 verbal 150 quantitative 5 writing GPA 3.8 for my last 60 hours. At the time of applying, I had started my 4th year of working as a SLPA. I had letters of recommendation from 2 SLP supervisors and my SpEd director of my district and a good letter of intent. I was very raw as to why I was a good fit for the program. I have to work to help provide for my family and in my school district, most of the students are below the federal poverty level and the school is the only avenue for speech and language therapy. Most of my students have parents who want the best for their children but cannot take off from work at the farms and dairies in the area to take their children to therapy 60 miles away one way. The severity of the cases has increased and it has been difficult to keep a qualified SLP in the district to handle these students. I applied twice- waitlisted the first time and accepted this time. The only change was one LOR and my letter of intent. I feel like being very real and honest about my district’s needs and the situation I’ve been in for the last 4 years helped me get in. 

Thank you so much! I love it so far and you’re so welcome for the recommendations for study apps. I saw an email about magoosh having a kindle book for free on Kindle! GRE Prep by Magoosh. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:02 AM, cjones10 said:

Hi!

I was also accepted to this prorgam! I had a 3.39 overall, 3.8 major, and 298 GRE with 4 in the writing portion. I’ve worked as a SLPA for 4 years. I really feel like they look at other aspects of your application rather than just your overall grades! 

Congrats!!  Thank you for this information!

On 6/26/2019 at 3:55 PM, MH13 said:

I’m in Lubbock and have to go to my ESC 3 times this summer for class but have classes every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:15-8:30. During the school year, we go to the ESC on Tuesday from 4:30-8:30 and then home on collaborate the same hours. We also do our school-based practicum during the school year. Summer 2020 and 2021 I will have adult practicum placements. My stats are: 155 verbal 150 quantitative 5 writing GPA 3.8 for my last 60 hours. At the time of applying, I had started my 4th year of working as a SLPA. I had letters of recommendation from 2 SLP supervisors and my SpEd director of my district and a good letter of intent. I was very raw as to why I was a good fit for the program. I have to work to help provide for my family and in my school district, most of the students are below the federal poverty level and the school is the only avenue for speech and language therapy. Most of my students have parents who want the best for their children but cannot take off from work at the farms and dairies in the area to take their children to therapy 60 miles away one way. The severity of the cases has increased and it has been difficult to keep a qualified SLP in the district to handle these students. I applied twice- waitlisted the first time and accepted this time. The only change was one LOR and my letter of intent. I feel like being very real and honest about my district’s needs and the situation I’ve been in for the last 4 years helped me get in. 

Thank you so much! I love it so far and you’re so welcome for the recommendations for study apps. I saw an email about magoosh having a kindle book for free on Kindle! GRE Prep by Magoosh. 

Wow, the program is nice! Your stats are really good. This is definitely your path! I can see the passion, amazing. Congrats again on getting in! I'm looking to applying.