Trudeau 2020

Adelaide9216

1 hour ago, Dryad said:

Best of luck, everyone!

Thanks. I am quite nervous.

I feel like my values and research project align with Trudeau. I don't know if that makes me competitive, because I don't know who are the other applicants across the country. I have done a lot of reading and research about the Foundation. I feel like I'd be a good "fit". But I have the feeling that my institution may have a different (mis)understanding of what Trudeau is looking for. So it's my university that could make me or break me. II just want to get past the first step. Because I feel the Foundation can better assess if I am a good fit or not. It's just that first step that I am very nervous about. I did not get selected last year, but I got a Vanier. And the selection committee for Vanier and Trudeau are different peoples at my university. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

On 1/12/2020 at 9:49 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

I feel like my values and research project align with Trudeau. I don't know if that makes me competitive, because I don't know who are the other applicants across the country. I have done a lot of reading and research about the Foundation. I feel like I'd be a good "fit". But I have the feeling that my institution may have a different (mis)understanding of what Trudeau is looking for. So it's my university that could make me or break me. II just want to get past the first step. Because I feel the Foundation can better assess if I am a good fit or not. It's just that first step that I am very nervous about. I did not get selected last year, but I got a Vanier. And the selection committee for Vanier and Trudeau are different peoples at my university. 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just found out that the departmental grad chairs of applicants are the ones being invited to form the internal review committee. My chair is very green and has a student of their own that is applying. If they had to immediately dwindle the list down, I'm pretty certain that they would choose their own student over me, regardless of our portfolio and publication record.

19 hours ago, Dryad said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just found out that the departmental grad chairs of applicants are the ones being invited to form the internal review committee. My chair is very green and has a student of their own that is applying. If they had to immediately dwindle the list down, I'm pretty certain that they would choose their own student over me, regardless of our portfolio and publication record.

Yeah...sometimes those things can't either make us or break us. :(

When will you know if you've been forwarded? I will know early next week.

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yeah...sometimes those things can't either make us or break us. :(

When will you know if you've been forwarded? I will know early next week.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:49 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

No idea. Not sure if applicants will be notified about being forwarded or not. Hopefully they'll announce the results of this first round soon... Fingers crossed! 

I have a feeling that I have good chances of being forwarded to the national competition by my university, but I am very unsure about actually getting that scholarship. My hopes are not really high. It's so competitive. :( I wish they could give it to me based on my potential as a public scholar, because I do have a lot of potential, but I need to show/prove it to them. Worst case, I reapply next year, but it would be my third time trying...:( 

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have a feeling that I have good chances of being forwarded to the national competition by my university, but I am very unsure about actually getting that scholarship. My hopes are not really high. It's so competitive. :( I wish they could give it to me based on my potential as a public scholar, because I do have a lot of potential, but I need to show/prove it to them. Worst case, I reapply next year, but it would be my third time trying...:( 

Good luck, Adelaide9216! The competition does look fierce. I'm thinking the key difference between Trudeau and the Tri-Council ones would be (non-academic) leadership? Have no idea how to prove that though. 

9 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Coming from an R1 institution, it certainly feels like a colossal task to secure one of those four seats.

23 hours ago, asdf1123 said:

Good luck, Adelaide9216! The competition does look fierce. I'm thinking the key difference between Trudeau and the Tri-Council ones would be (non-academic) leadership? Have no idea how to prove that though. 

I have strong leadership experience. That's what got me Vanier as a first year PhD student with zero publications. But I still feel like Trudeau is much more competitive, despite believing I am a good fit. We'll see.

10 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have strong leadership experience. That's what got me Vanier as a first year PhD student with zero publications. But I still feel like Trudeau is much more competitive, despite believing I am a good fit. We'll see.

Wow. That must be some serious leadership roles. I got cgs-d entering my PhD, but I assume that was off of my pubs from my masters (only one as first author). Got to nationals for Vanier, but no dice. I definitely think that Trudeau is more competitive. So very few seats at each stage of the competition. 

Edited by Dryad
Typo

On 1/18/2020 at 2:43 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

That's so impressive and best of luck!

4 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Did anyone here do an interview with them before? What is it like (out of curiosity)

Congrats! I think I've seen someone describing having a quite intense individual interview and a somewhat awkward group interview in a thread from past years. There are several threads about this scholarship here.  

On 1/29/2020 at 11:36 AM, Liyan said:

Does anyone here know when the finalists are likely to be notified this year? 

I have sent them an email to ask that question. We'll see what they say. But since interviews are Feb. 24-26, I am assuming they would send out the invites two weeks before? Does anyone know what it was like in previous years? 

On 2/1/2020 at 11:59 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

I have sent them an email to ask that question. We'll see what they say. But since interviews are Feb. 24-26, I am assuming they would send out the invites two weeks before? Does anyone know what it was like in previous years? 

Just curious - did they ever get back to you on this? Patiently waiting!