Trudeau 2020

Adelaide9216

On 2/6/2020 at 7:18 AM, sunflower_phd said:

Just curious - did they ever get back to you on this? Patiently waiting!

Nothing from my institution yet. 

I've got a conference presentation out of the country, so I really hope they'll let us know before that so I can change my flights. I will have to fly straight there after my presentation and hope I've packed enough clothes in my tiny carry-on, haha. 

1 hour ago, Dryad said:

Nothing from my institution yet. 

I've got a conference presentation out of the country, so I really hope they'll let us know before that so I can change my flights. I will have to fly straight there after my presentation and hope I've packed enough clothes in my tiny carry-on, haha. 

Oh wow! Yes that will be tight! Do you think the email will come from our institution or from the foundation directly? Do you have experience from previous years?

In case anyone is waiting to hear back, I found out today that I have an interview (third year in a row applying..!). Anyone have any insight/ can link to a thread where people have described the interview process before? I have no idea what to expect. Keeping my fingers crossed for you all as well!

23 hours ago, mango1180 said:

In case anyone is waiting to hear back, I found out today that I have an interview (third year in a row applying..!). Anyone have any insight/ can link to a thread where people have described the interview process before? I have no idea what to expect. Keeping my fingers crossed for you all as well!

Hello, how did you learn this? Were you contacted directly or by your university ?

Apparently, there is a group and one-on-one interview from what I have read before.

Congrats!!!

Edited by Adelaide9216

10 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello, how did you learn this? Were you contacted directly or by your university ?

Apparently, there is a group and one-on-one interview from what I have read before.

Congrats!!!

Thanks! I heard from the Foundation directly. We have to confirm by this week that we’ll attend the interview, so perhaps they’re waiting for everyone to confirm in case someone can’t and more spots open up?

On 2/7/2020 at 9:36 PM, mango1180 said:

Congratulations!

I heard that there's an awkward group project where they observe you.

3 hours ago, mango1180 said:

Thanks! I heard from the Foundation directly. We have to confirm by this week that we’ll attend the interview, so perhaps they’re waiting for everyone to confirm in case someone can’t and more spots open up?

Maybe. But I don't think I'll get invited. I'll re-try again next year, worst case scenario, it's my second time applying. 

5 hours ago, mango1180 said:

Did you get to choose which of the three days for the interview? 

Some info here:

I saw someone on social media (one of my Facebook friends) asking on behalf of someone information regarding the scholarship today. I am assuming because that person got an interview invite, even if the Facebook post did not say so explicitely. Also, the other person in my department who got nominated by my university also did not get any news. 

I am under the impression that they are sending out the invites one by one...which is strange.

My application is still under review on the Portal. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

4 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Some info here:

I saw someone on social media (one of my Facebook friends) asking on behalf of someone information regarding the scholarship today. I am assuming because that person got an interview invite, even if the Facebook post did not say so explicitely. Also, the other person in my department who got nominated by my university also did not get any news. 

I am under the impression that they are sending out the invites one by one...which is strange.

My application is still under review on the Portal. 

My application is also listed as being reviewed. I just noticed that my university's nomination letter can be viewed. ? 

I suspect that they've already made their primary selections. Fingers-crossed, I'm hoping that my application was strong enough to make the waitlist. I'm going to be optimistic and pack extra clothes for my conference in case I need to change my flights afterwards!  

One prof of my departement appeared extremely surprised that I did not get any news from the Foundation. He appears to have a lot of faith in me (he has read my application, and helped me put it out together). I don't know if that will be enough.

I've read on other threads that invites went out several days before people received the declined emails, at least in previous years. I also have not heard anything, so... I think it's a wrap. I can't really see anyone applying and then declining the interview. As we all know, failure and rejection is a HUGE part of academia. Also, more so than other scholarships, this one is a crap shoot. I had a stellar leadership reference (from a 6 term City Councillor in my city and on the Board of my university), several recent publications, and a 10 year career in non-profit leadership. Still, nada. They probably selected 40 applicants or 60 maximum as finalists in all four themes and the competition is global with previous winners having been from Yale, Oxford, Harvard, etc. The person who did get an interview said it was their third time applying, so onto next year! 

44 minutes ago, WellThen said:

I've read on other threads that invites went out several days before people received the declined emails, at least in previous years. I also have not heard anything, so... I think it's a wrap. I can't really see anyone applying and then declining the interview. As we all know, failure and rejection is a HUGE part of academia. Also, more so than other scholarships, this one is a crap shoot. I had a stellar leadership reference (from a 6 term City Councillor in my city and on the Board of my university), several recent publications, and a 10 year career in non-profit leadership. Still, nada. They probably selected 40 applicants or 60 maximum as finalists in all four themes and the competition is global with previous winners having been from Yale, Oxford, Harvard, etc. The person who did get an interview said it was their third time applying, so onto next year! 

I agree with you that rejection and failure is part of academia (it's my second time applying). But you seem to fit what they are looking for...I was also told by past recipients that I am total fit into what the Foundation is looking for, and they encouraged me to apply as well. And after reading all the changes they've made to the Foundation recently, I would be surprised that they'd pick finalists solely on the prestige of the universities they come from.

http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/sites/default/files/strategic_plan_2019-2024.pdf?utm_source=PETF+Community%3A+S%2FM%2FF+(%2B+executive+team+staff)&utm_campaign=df37447a1b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_16_10_32_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0950df8536-df37447a1b-587994313&mc_cid=df37447a1b&mc_eid=f45423643f

http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/future-forums/news/future-forums-report-released-harvard-university

This gives an indication of the changes they've made and what they are looking for. I know it's a highly competitive scholarship, though. But my feeling was that they'd give a platform to people from marginalized communities and emerging scholars who have true impact in their communities... 

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/sites/default/files/strategic_plan_2019-2024.pdf?utm_source=PETF+Community%3A+S%2FM%2FF+(%2B+executive+team+staff)&utm_campaign=df37447a1b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_16_10_32_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0950df8536-df37447a1b-587994313&mc_cid=df37447a1b&mc_eid=f45423643f

http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/future-forums/news/future-forums-report-released-harvard-university

This gives an indication of the changes they've made and what they are looking for. I know it's a highly competitive scholarship, though. But my feeling was that they'd give a platform to people from marginalized communities and emerging scholars who have true impact in their communities... 

My mention of prestigious universities was meant in terms of the caliber of applicants that they are getting and not the foundation selection process per se. I know that not everyone has the circumstances to even think about a Yale or Oxford, but we don't know who the other applicants are or what they've accomplished. Ultimately, we are all doing impactful work in our communities or why else would we be applying. It sucks for us, but these decisions are truly a crap shoot because this is all good and important work. There are just so many applicants and so few spots. I don't like finding out in online forums rather than by them, so they could definitely improve that still.