Greenville, NC

Guest graduate student

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Pinkmint, I still have to wait for my US financial aid before I can apply for my CAQ. I have heard that is takes 3-5 weeks.

So, any advice from anyone on looking for a place to stay? I live in Illinois and will probably not be in Montreal until mid-August. I am weary of finding a place online, but I also am afraid that if I wait until the last minute that I will have a horrible selection.

Any advice?

Thanks, Hopeful.

I was thinking of driving up there in July actually. Also, I was wondering about listings on kijiji? We don't have that here in the US, so I don't know its reputation.

Thanks, Hopeful.

I was thinking of driving up there in July actually. Also, I was wondering about listings on kijiji? We don't have that here in the US, so I don't know its reputation.

It's like craigslist.

After two years and three moves in Montreal, here's my advice:

I'd actually council against planning for the July 1st move. You might have more selection, but the logistics are going to be hell (every moving company gets booked early, and charges at least double). The city is sort of overwhelmed with human misery. It's an awesome day to go hunting for free curb finds, however. Choose free furniture over mover angst.

Finding a place for an Aug. 1st or even a mid-month move is still quite possible. Be on the look out in particular for lease transfers- you would be taking over a lease directly from the tenant rather than the landlord, meaning that the rent is locked in to their price (rather than being raised just prior to going back on the market). Because it's legally sort of impossible to break lease in Quebec, this is what lots of folks turn to when they take a job out of town, move in with a partner, or experience some sort of financial shift, hence the unusual move-in dates. I've found quite a few gems this way.

In addition to the usual sites like Craiglists (which is more anglophone) and Kijiji (which is more francophone), there are also a few facebook groups you might want to check out. "Apartments for Rent In Montreal" is a general hub for lease transfers and roommate searches, while "Chez Queer" does the same, but with a queer-friendly focus. Lots of cheap listings to be had therein.

Try to learn basic apartment hunting french (bail, sous-sol, etc.) so that you can check out ads in either language. Most landlords/tenants will be able to work with you in english, even if their ad is entirely in french.

Know your rights! Damage deposits, paying last month's rent up front, and key deposits are all illegal in Quebec. And please please please sign an actual lease, the sort that comes in 8/5x14 paper from the Regie de logement. (If you are doing a lease transfer, sign a formal lease transfer agreement downloadable from the Regie, and take possession of the outgoing tenant's original lease).

The ghetto and plateau are getting pretty overpriced (due of frequent turn overs in tenants, given the student population). Try NDG, Petite Patrie/Little Italy, St. Henri, or the Mile End for cheaper neighborhoods with tons of local amenities. Transit's so good in this town you shouldn't have a problem getting around if you live outside the core.

If you can't come in advance to search for apartments, check your university's classifieds board (online). There are tons of students looking for roommates, making this a safer way to find a place sight unseen (though please do use Skype to virtually check things out, and ask lots of questions re: water pressure, noise, groceries, etc.). I know a lot of folks who chose this option and, while their enthusiasm for their roommates was variable over time, they saved a lot of money and stress by avoiding the advance trip. If it's awful, you can always lease transfer out at a date of your choosing.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks davet. I got mine exactly after 20 working days (after they received my document hard copies) and Thank you biisis. Thats such an informative post. I will be coming to Montreal and was worried about the options that would be available.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone looking for an apartment already for September 2014? I'm heading to McGill and I don't know anyone in Montreal. Anyone looking for a roommate? Any tips on apartment hunting? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am heading to McGill this September for my masters. Thanks to all that contributed, this last page was very resourceful. If anyone is looking for a potential roommate during this great apartment hunt-- email me at csten8@gmail.com

What is a reasonably priced area where I can access the Macdonald campus and social/night life downtown? I do not mind commuting if I can enjoy the city on the weekends. I was thinking around Concordia.

Edited by resolvist

Macdonald Campus is very far away from downtown. There really is no area where you can access both. 

There is a free shuttle from McGill to Macdonald that runs a couple times a day. I had friends who took this every day. It would suck, but it's doable (but you are boned if you miss it). We're talking about 1-2 hours each way.

You either make a choice, live near Macdonald Campus, which does have very affordable prices, or waste potentially 3 hours a day going back and forth. 

Edited by victorydance

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will be attending McGill for my phd in the fall, and my husband and I are trying to figure out the apartment situation. If we go up the first week of July, will it be difficult to find a decently priced apartment in the city to start in late July or early August? We're looking at the CDG/NDG, Parc Extension, Lachine (possibly), and Verdun areas.

I will also be going up at the end of this month to meet with program faculty and get a feel for the city--would it be better to try to secure an apartment to begin in July or August during that time? We are American (and would prefer NOT to live in a mainly Anglophone area of the city), so other than renting a place we've never seen, these would be the two times in which we could actually visit a place.

Re: Apartment leasing times. Most leases begin July 1st but you can definitely find some places for August 1st or September 1st because landlords seem to be conscious of the school year.

A word of caution for NDG and Lachine: Not the most accessible by bus. Be careful of where you live in Cote-des-Neiges. I wouldn't go farther north than the Metro cote Neiges because a lot of those apartments have serious bedbug problems. If you live around the cemetery though (as I do) you generally won't run into any problems! 

Edited by happy little pill

Re: Apartment leasing times. Most leases begin July 1st but you can definitely find some places for August 1st or September 1st because landlords seem to be conscious of the school year.

A word of caution for NDG and Lachine: Not the most accessible by bus. Be careful of where you live in Cote-des-Neiges. I wouldn't go farther north than the Metro cote Neiges because a lot of those apartments have serious bedbug problems. If you live around the cemetery though (as I do) you generally won't run into any problems! 

Where would you recommend for the best prices and accessibility overall to McGill? We are looking to rent cheaper places (4 1/2 in the 650-850ish range), because we anticipate it taking a little time for my husband to find a job upon arrival. We will not bring a car with us, so public transit and bike routes are extremely important.

I have never been to Montreal, so as specific as possible would be great! You can PM me if that is easier.

Where would you recommend for the best prices and accessibility overall to McGill? We are looking to rent cheaper places (4 1/2 in the 650-850ish range), because we anticipate it taking a little time for my husband to find a job upon arrival. We will not bring a car with us, so public transit and bike routes are extremely important.

I have never been to Montreal, so as specific as possible would be great! You can PM me if that is easier.

PMing! Anyone who has questions about Montreal can also feel free to PM :)

• 1 month later...

I would like to hear bout Greenville, NC. I have never been there, and I'd be coming from foreign country so any info about cost of living, social life, atmosphere of town would be very helpful. Additionally, I heard that there are not many international student, so I am a little bit worrying about home-sick or loneliness. Lastly, the most important thing that I would like to know is that the way of going to the area nearby East Carolina University after arriving at the small airport near the Greenville.

Welcome any of info!

• 2 weeks later...

What program are you entering? What country are you from? I just finished my MS Chemistry there, but commuted a very long distance to do it so while I'm very familiar with ECU, I couldn't help with the housing. I could introduce you to people by email if you are in chemistry or biology (or the IDPBS PhD)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone!  I saw another thread about MTL, but it seemed really catered to McGill, and as I'm going to Concordia this Fall, I was hoping we could have a broader thread, not necessarily about one or both of the campuses and the surrounding area, but also Montréal in general!

So, to start, I'm in love with Montréal.  I spent a week there last November and fell fast and hard.  I'll be living on campus, but I'm really looking forward to immersing myself into Montréal life and culture. :)

Ashlee

• 1 year later...